Deteriorating front tyres

Rob74

Has anyone ever seen this type of deterioration on front tyres? It looks a little alarming to me. DOT date on these is 3019 so not that old. They are Apollo Alnac All Season tyres that came on the car when bought so not sure of their mileage. 

FA5FE0A9-7608-4096-8423-92BBAE811F81.thumb.jpeg.ec18b5d073d6b5f8b2be29194f4e4168.jpegC074884A-758A-4D05-88BC-29C7AA1C62D3.thumb.jpeg.9ab984be5975de51a592d74bf8a5decd.jpegThanks

Rob

34 minutes ago, Rob74 said:

Has anyone ever seen this type of deterioration on front tyres? It looks a little alarming to me. DOT date on these is 3019 so not that old. They are Apollo Alnac All Season tyres that came on the car when bought so not sure of their mileage. 

FA5FE0A9-7608-4096-8423-92BBAE811F81.thumb.jpeg.ec18b5d073d6b5f8b2be29194f4e4168.jpegC074884A-758A-4D05-88BC-29C7AA1C62D3.thumb.jpeg.9ab984be5975de51a592d74bf8a5decd.jpegThanks

Rob

Have you been driving at over 60mph in the summer, or have you been driving like Miss Daisy?

If you haven't gone over 60mph, and have that heat damage, then those tyres are really, really bad and not just bad.

Thank you for the replies. A bit disappointed that an all season tyre would be losing chunks like this. Not exactly ‘all’ season after all. 

3 minutes ago, Carlston said:

Have you been driving at over 60mph in the summer, or have you been driving like Miss Daisy?

If you haven't gone over 60mph, and have that heat damage, then those tyres are really, really bad and not just bad.

I do drive like Miss Daisy! My daily commute is 120 miles around. Usually set cruise at 68mph. All easy motorway miles too. 

• Like 1

I'm not a big fan of tyre review summaries, you need to read individual reviews to see how relevant they are to your circumstances and needs and note the review dates, tyres have changed a lot even in the last few years. - https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyres_For/Skoda/Octavia-Scout.htm

60 miles with 68mph on some of the very hot days we've had might affect some tyres, once the damage is done it's done.  Some roads including bits of motorway seem to have some rough chippings type surfaces which I've found more noticeable on more recent tyres.

Are there any other things you can think of that might have contributed - you carry heavy loads, like drifting, having lower tyre pressures, like skidding to a stop, have you lent the car to any younger members of the family or friends, work colleges.  

14 minutes ago, nta16 said:

I'm not a big fan of tyre review summaries, you need to read individual reviews to see how relevant they are to your circumstances and needs and note the review dates, tyres have changed a lot even in the last few years. - https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyres_For/Skoda/Octavia-Scout.htm

60 miles with 68mph on some of the very hot days we've had might affect some tyres, once the damage is done it's done.  Some roads including bits of motorway seem to have some rough chippings type surfaces which I've found more noticeable on more recent tyres.

Are there any other things you can think of that might have contributed - you carry heavy loads, like drifting, having lower tyre pressures, like skidding to a stop, have you lent the car to any younger members of the family or friends, work colleges.  

I imagine drifting an automatic, AWD car is quite difficult. It’s only ever driven by me, with no extra load, correctly inflated tyres and never skidded!!! I guess they’re just junk.

21 minutes ago, roottoot said:

@Rob74

How many miles have they been on for? 

Maybe a better All Season tyre for that type of use then if you are not going to see much wintry weather. 

They came on the car when I bought it so unfortunately I have no idea. Safer just to replace them I say.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rob74 said:

They came on the car when I bought it so unfortunately I have no idea. Safer just to replace them I say.

They won’t have be original from when car was new

You have clearly be turning, or parking on some very rough tarmac to get those sort of abrasions, probably when it is quite a hot day

Maybe I dont understand what "Driving like Miss Daisy" means but I would not associate it with drifting.

3 hours ago, Rob74 said:

I imagine drifting an automatic, AWD car is quite difficult.

Not so much with junk tyres.  😁  I wasn't being entirely serious just seeing if there might be further information.

Don't get too over-confident because it's an AWD as you've discovered it still rides on four small patches of 'rubber'.

It maybe that the vehicle was standing a lot on those tyres rather than being used which can also age the tyres.  The TWI (tread wear indicator) bar in the tread isn't showing in your photo so the tyres may not of had too much mileage and/or they are very hard wearing, in other conditions.

Tyres are a very important and complicated component on a vehicle which are often overlooked yet they're part of the brakes, steering and suspension and affect the handling, ride comfort and noise so quality is important.

Hopefully you'll have better luck with your next set.

Maybe Rob's secretly an unhinged getaway driver and the chunks are from going over a poorly deployed stinger at excessive speed, but getting away with it 😁

On a serious note, think I'd play it safe and replace them if it were me.

Gaz

• Cheeky 1

10 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Maybe Rob's secretly an unhinged getaway driver and the chunks are from going over a poorly deployed stinger at excessive speed, but getting away with it 😁

On a serious note, think I'd play it safe and replace them if it were me.

Gaz

Uncanny Gaz. I just hope this forum isn’t monitored by the old bill. 
Think I’ll run the car up to Micheldever tyres tomorrow for a proper look, but I have a suspicion I will be leaving with fresh rubber.

Thank you for all your replies.

Kind regards

Rob 

• Like 4

On 05/07/2022 at 19:10, Rob74 said:

Uncanny Gaz. I just hope this forum isn’t monitored by the old bill. 
Think I’ll run the car up to Micheldever tyres tomorrow for a proper look, but I have a suspicion I will be leaving with fresh rubber.

Thank you for all your replies.

Kind regards

Rob 

Any idea what you would replace them with

Michelin cross climate 2 seem to be good choice (but not cheap as paying for long lasting quality)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SurreyJohn said:

Any idea what you would replace them with

Michelin cross climate 2 seem to be good choice (but not cheap as paying for long lasting quality)

Hi SurreyJohn

I haven’t got round to having them checked yet due to work but have no idea what to replace them with. I usually just rock up and ask for not quite the cheapest. I’ll probably get lynched on here for saying that. Maybe some research is called for. I’ll start with what you mention. 

I would consider a mid range brand of all-season tyre. Whilst the Michelins are undoubtedly a good tyre, they are pricey. If you can have a look at Vredestein quatracs, they are a great tyre and will be cheaper than Michelin. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Gmac983 said:

I would consider a mid range brand of all-season tyre. Whilst the Michelins are undoubtedly a good tyre, they are pricey. If you can have a look at Vredestein quatracs, they are a great tyre and will be cheaper than Michelin. 

Very much appreciated suggestion. I shall look into these too.

Thank you Gmac.

3 minutes ago, Rob74 said:

Very much appreciated suggestion. I shall look into these too.

Thank you Gmac.

Others that seem to get good comments include

Continental all season contact

Hankook kinergy 4S2

Goodyear vector 4season gen3

Not all are available in some sizes, and what is available, or price being charged will also determine your decision

43 minutes ago, SurreyJohn said:

Others that seem to get good comments include

Continental all season contact

Hankook kinergy 4S2

Goodyear vector 4season gen3

Not all are available in some sizes, and what is available, or price being charged will also determine your decision

Thank you SurreyJohn. Will add these to the list and see what’s available. 
Regards

Rob

As you've already found sometimes buying a part or component that is "cheap" at initial purchase price can work out to be expensive or very expensive in the long, medium and even short term.

As a generalisation a tyre that gives very high miles of tread wear isn't very grippy and with an AWD you may without realising it well drive faster than you think so put more wear to the tyres.

For price it's often lower to order off their website than at the actual tyre place, crazy I know but there you are, don't forget to add in to your web order any extras you want or need (wheel alignment, any special balancing, etc.).

• Like 1