Removing alternator 2010 fabia 1.6 tdi

Hi guys anybody replaced the alternator on a tdi fabia without aircon as I’m having trouble getting the lower bolt out ,do I need to untention the auxiliary belt somehow? Any help would be great.

cheers Paul 

So how do I remove the auxiliary belt as I can’t seem to find a guide on here maybe I’m putting the wrong criteria in the search guide any help would be most appreciated.

cheers

Bit of a guess here, because I haven't done one on this engine, but on smaller VW's, it's normally a spring-loaded tensioner. Get a long, slim 16mm spanner, slide it up behind the tensioner pulley, and you'll find some flats on the shaft. push the spanner towards the back of the car (against the force of the spring, and it's normally got some force behind it) and it should de-tension the belt. 

But, I could be totally wrong, haven't done one on these engines. 

Removing and installing V-ribbed belt for vehicles without air conditioning system

Note

The repair kit includes the V-ribbed belt, the assembly tool -T10367- and an illustrated work procedure → Electronic Catalogue of Original Parts.

Removing

–Remove the sound dampening system →Body Work; Rep. gr.50.

–Remove the right wheelhouse liner bottom part →Body Work; Rep. gr.66.

–Cut through V-ribbed belt.

Install

Installation is performed in the reverse order, pay attention to the following points:

–The following work procedure is described in the illustrated work procedure from the repair kit.

–Start engine and check ribbed V-belt run.

So......in order to remove the alternator I have to cut the auxiliary belt to release the tension and then I can access the two bolts to remove the alternator and replace with a good one then how do I refit a presumably new belt seems a long winded wasteful job to cut a good belt sorry for questions but I’m new to this engine and can’t find any sticky’s on how to replace the alternator except for the one with air con which is a little different as it has a tensioner mine does not again any more help would be most appreciated ,thanks for the replies up to now but could use a few more!

cheers Paul 

That was from the dealer manual and I must admit it does seem a waste to cut a perfectly good belt, maybe if you could source the special tool T10367 you could remove the belt with it ?

Thanks guys ,although it’s not a problem cutting the belt the main problem I’m facing is removing the alternator I can’t seem to get the bottom bolt out as with it being so long it’s hitting the bodywork and won’t come out and if I can get it out how do I tension the belt..........someone on here must have either had the job done or done it themselves come on guys I need to resolve this problem!

cheers Paul 

58 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

You have a stretchy belt and they don't last forever, cutting it off seems like the only option, I have no idea how you're going to get the new belt on without the special tool though.

The belt is self tensioning but very hard to fit, do pay attention.

Yes I do realise it’s strechy sepulchrave and very hard to fit however if you have been paying attention the main problem I’m encountering is the removal of the lower bolt the problem with the belt seems to have been explained,do you have any suggestions for the removal of this bolt?

cheers Paul 

The way it reads you don't fully remove the bolts just undo them then drop the alternator out the bottom of the bay 

Release screws -arrows- (23 Nm).
Vehicles with 1.2/1.4 TSI and Common Rail engines:
Remove AC generator downwards.
Other vehicles:
Remove AC generator upwards.

792587755_Furby2AltMTG.thumb.jpg.c62064ff69982ab81044c160772af4a3.jpg

Install
Installation is performed in the reverse order, pay attention to the following points:

For easier mounting move the threaded bushes -A- approx. 3 mm -arrows-.

1477239000_Furby2AltMTG2.thumb.jpg.c5acaf72526e5b29ee4dea44ecd45903.jpg

Why are you removing the alternator?

Is it necessary?

Most failed or failing alternators on these vehicles can be cheaply and easily repaired by replacing the regulator/brush pack or simply freeing off the brushes if stuck, this can usually be done leaving the alternator in situ.

Now I dont know if that is the case on your car but given the stretchy belt thing (is there really no tensioner?) then it has to be worth considering and looking at.

34 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Now I dont know if that is the case on your car but given the stretchy belt thing (is there really no tensioner?) 

No normal spring loaded tensioner shown, there is if it has AC

1697647162_Furby2AuxbeltnoAC.thumb.jpg.124ad97d59512086b7c705e0c7ecbced.jpg

Thanks for those diagrams nige8021 they look to be really helpful and explains why I don’t need to take the bolts out however we still have the problem of not having a tensioner as it doesn’t have air con although as JR said I could maybe repair it however why I’m replacing it is because I have a second hand one (that’s said to be good ) so without cutting the belt I can’t see another way to get it off,having said that I believe someone (nige8021) mentioned a v belt repair kit with a tool T10367 does anyone know where I can obtain one? Once again thanks for all your help I feel I’m getting a bit further!

cheers Paul 

That looks to be the tool I’m after nige8021 looks like there is a one possibly the same listed in my local machine mart laser tool 7502 once again thanks for all your help I’ll get this tool and give it a try and let you know what the outcome is ........probably not be the alternator after all this haha just my luck !

cheers Paul 

10 hours ago, nige8021 said:

laser tool 7502 comes up as a 3.0 BMW timing tool ??

Probably just a typo, 7522 seems to be the one.

• Love it! 1