Sat nav zoom control

I presently drive a Superb SEL. I was delighted when I discovered that the know on the right below the satnav screen controls the zoom level. So much easier than having to 'pinch' the screen - and much safer too.

I'm looking at changing to a Kodiaq (probably Edition spec), and have looked at 2018 - 2019 cars. I am disappointed to find that Kodiaqs of this age don't have those knobs: it's all touch screen. BUT I see that on later models, up to current models, the knobs are back!

My question is: without these knobs (left hand one is for volume, right is multi-purpose), is there any other way to zoom in/out the map? Maybe some other control, or maybe a voice command? Or are you forced to pinch on the touchscreen?

Thanks.

An Edition model from that era will have the Columbus sat nav, which does not have the 2 knobs at the bottom of the screen.

To zoom in on the Columbus you can change the scale by pressing the virtual button shown as A on attached photo. You can the use the slider that appears on the bottom of the screen as shown.

90AEE936-E45E-4D64-9751-34ACCD787705.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Update.

I have now bought a 2018 Kodiaq Edition. I like it very much. There's much that is better than my Superb (other than, of course, the nature of the car, 4x4 etc!) and a few things that are negative. By far the worst negative, and one that I fear will continue to aggravate me, is the topic of this thread. Am I the only person who thinks that touch screens are distracting ... dangerous even?  On my Superb I hardly had to touch the central screen. I might switch between radio, or media, or navigation ... done by the buttons at the side. When navigating, I often wanted to zoom in, to get a closer look at a junction say, then zoom out again to see which town I was near: all done by the lower-right Scrolling knob.  If I wanted to end navigation, once I was on the right route home, it was a press of the NAV button (even if I was already viewing the Navigation, and the bottom right button on the menu that appeared was STOP ROUTE. Simple.

In contrast, I find I am constantly have to S T R E T C H to reach the MENU button, and navigate the touch screen. When the ignition is off, the screen is covered with finger marks.

I don't have Virtual Cockpit.

Why can't all this be done with voice commands? ...

Show Navigation

Map Zoom In

Map Zoom Out

Stop Route

On 11/08/2022 at 22:11, AlecM said:

Am I the only person who thinks that touch screens are distracting ... dangerous even?

I find I am constantly have to S T R E T C H to reach the MENU button

Why can't all this be done with voice commands? ...

Show Navigation

Map Zoom In

Map Zoom Out

Stop Route

There is an easy solution to your problem tho, to alter the zoom, you just pinch the screen with two fingers as you would with a mobile phone. It may not be as accurate as a knob but it's just as fast.   But then you come back to safety again - forget about how to zoom, is it safe to be looking at a map which is out of the line of sight whilst driving?

You're probably in the majority who think touchscreens are dangerous / distracting.  The irony between ever increasing functionality accessed thru a touchscreen and that of manufacturers promoting how safe their cars are is there for all to see. Just be thankfull it's a limited touchscreen unlike the likes of Tesla or even Volvo ( who pride themselves on safety ) when they place all functions thru a central touchscreen, some of which require going thru several sub menus to access.

Voice commands? But you'd have to say Map Zoom Out perhaps four or five times to achieve the desired zoom level - not sure that's practical and is even more distracting.

Constantly having to stretch? This is a problem which I believe is  now unique to Skoda and SEAT for RHD models in the VW group. Other brands in the VW stable that have full touchscreen have the strip of buttons on the drivers side but Skoda and SEAT still have them on the left - i.e. same as their LHD models.   I completely agree, it's wrong and I'm guessing is one exercise too far in keeping costs downs as it compromises safety. I'm pretty sure if some safety campaign were to criticise it, both manufacturers wouldn't be long in updating their systems. The only cost should be a different glass screen and a few lines of  reprogrammed software.

Edited by kodiaqsportline

On 13/08/2022 at 20:14, kodiaqsportline said:

There is an easy solution to your problem tho, to alter the zoom, you just pinch the screen with two fingers as you would with a mobile phone.

Constantly having to stretch? This is a problem which I believe is  now unique to Skoda and SEAT for RHD models in the VW group. Other brands in the VW stable that have full touchscreen have the strip of buttons on the drivers side but Skoda and SEAT still have them on the left - i.e. same as their LHD models.   I completely agree, it's wrong and I'm guessing is one exercise too far in keeping costs downs as it compromises safety. I'm pretty sure if some safety campaign were to criticise it, both manufacturers wouldn't be long in updating their systems. The only cost should be a different glass screen and a few lines of  reprogrammed software.

Thanks. Yes I'm aware of the pinch technique, and it's what I've been doing. Still don't like it. I've now made 5 long journeys in the Kodiaq, and my view is unchanged. It was SO much easier to push a button marked  NAV or RADIO or MEDIA, and zoom the map in and out with the scroll knob.

As for re-engineering the screen: the 'buttons' down the left should be displayed in the margin of the display, and simply changeable for left-or right-hand drive cars: no different glass screen at all. Or better still: the buttons. Rant over!

Thanks again for your response. Sorry for the delay in replying - we've been away for a few days.

• 3 weeks later...

There is always the auto zoom function that zooms in for junctions and out for longer distances between directions.

Tap the zoom icon on screen and the slider appears. On the right of the slider are the zoom + and - magnifying glass icons. To the right is the auto zoom one. That seems to work for me.

Great. Thanks CFB. I'll try that.

Just off for a trip in the Kodiaq. To Orkney. Leaving in half an hour. Looking forward to seeing just how well the Kodiaq performs on a long journey. Hopefully as well as the Superb which it replaces.

Thanks again.