Kodiaq overheating at "random"

4 minutes ago, SuperbTWM said:

It won't move because the water pressure is what moves the sleeve. The solenoid is only a pilot valve.

EDIT: Just read your latest post, looks like you had fun finding out for yourself 😂

Do you know how it utilises the pressure?

8 minutes ago, Avocet said:

Do you know how it utilises the pressure?

IMO this is probably one of the best and worst water pumps ever made. The effect it has on making the cabin warm in winter compared to the older engines is incredible (coupled with the rest of the complicated cooling system), You can fit water pumps without the sleeve but I think its worth the risk in having the sleeve and going OEM with the possibility of being less reliable

vw water pump.png

Edited by SuperbTWM
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I completely agree, for now I really appreciate the benefits of the system whilst realising that it is the engines achilles heel, at the first indication of any malfunction I will disconnect the connector from the actuating valve.

The system is designed to fail safe, either the shroud becomes sticky mechanically or the actuating valve sticks or gets debris on the  seating area, hopefully when I disconnect mine the shroud will be retracted, if not then it will get given the good news with a lead shot filled rubber mallet to persuade the shroud to retract.

Had same problem on a superb tried disconnecting the wiring to the water pump but there wes a lot of stuff had to be removed first ended up getting the whole timing belt kit replaced by my local mechanic and made sure the water pump didn't have the shroud.

Mine failed at 40.000 KM wouldn't risk the hassle of it failing again 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

How old is the car is it still in warranty  

I had the same problem ended up just bringing it to my local mechanic and got the timing belt and water pump done got the water pump without the problem part that's causing the problems 

31 minutes ago, toe said:

How old is the car is it still in warranty  

I had the same problem ended up just bringing it to my local mechanic and got the timing belt and water pump done got the water pump without the problem part that's causing the problems 

It's from 2017 and has around 70 000 KM. To earlier for timing belt?

Mine was a 2019 had 40,000 on the clock it's a knowing fault try Skoda and see if they can do a deal I think Skoda UK recommend timing belt change after 5 years or 120000km which ever comes first if it is the water pump your better off getting the whole trimming belt kit done 

16 minutes ago, toe said:

Mine was a 2019 had 40,000 on the clock it's a knowing fault try Skoda and see if they can do a deal I think Skoda UK recommend timing belt change after 5 years or 120000km which ever comes first if it is the water pump your better off getting the whole trimming belt kit done 

But if i change the belt, thats really expensive?

7 minutes ago, Rooted said:

@Maqedonci  Just for clarity, can you say what your's is?

Is it a 2.0 TDI with a DSG

Water Pump is an easy guess for many, some might go for the 2nd thermostat. 

No idea about this and your vehicle.

It's a 2.0 TDI DSG 4x4. 

Thank you for beeeing so helpful btw 

• Like 1

Mine is a Skoda super 1.9Tdi there using the same water pump in a lot of the VW brand and a lot of failures they know all about it 

Just now, toe said:

Mine is a Skoda super 1.9Tdi there using the same water pump in a lot of the VW brand and a lot of failures they know all about it 

Not much difference adding the belt to the water pump belt has to come off to change the pump 

30 minutes ago, Maqedonci said:

It's a 2.0 TDI DSG 4x4. 

Thank you for beeeing so helpful btw 

Mine 2.0 TDI with a manual box

• 1 month later...