Tyre Wear

jimcallaghan

Hi everyone 

This has happened twice now. 
first time I was shocked and took the car to a place for new tyres and to check tracking etc. 

Tyres gone again. Front inside edges. Both sides. 
Before an apprentice at KwikFit tries to blag it - anyone KNOW what causes this? 
I’ve just had 4 new tyres fitted and I’d rather this doesn’t happen again. 

Cheers 

F5684D39-5DA8-44AB-93BD-B96EC537CA3C.jpeg

1 hour ago, jimcallaghan said:

Tyres gone again. Front inside edges. Both sides.

Are those not asymmetric tyres? (will be marked "this side out" on one sidewall and "this side in" on the other.) If so, I'd judge wear by tread depth, not looking at width of grooves, and a proper depth gauge is about £5.

Not camber, the tread wear is even across the central 3/4, in fact in terms of wear the tyre is still well within the legal limits 🤣

2 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Are those not asymmetric tyres? (will be marked "this side out" on one sidewall and "this side in" on the other.) If so, I'd judge wear by tread depth, not looking at width of grooves, and a proper depth gauge is about £5.

I’m more concerned by the wear on the edge. 

• Like 1

I’ve just had 4 new tyres fitted and I’d rather this doesn’t happen again.

I would say it’s most probably a geometry issue (toes out rather than too much negative camber, since they’re quite evenly worn on 3/4 of the width.

Anyway since you have brand new tyres, it’s the right time to get both front and rear axles correctly set. It should prevent this to appear again.

Edited by Bap33

19 minutes ago, varooom said:

I am guessing some cannot see the exposed cord.

What sort of mileage on your car?

And what sort of mileage did the poor tyres do to get in that state?

75k miles - I've had it from new. Vast majority motorway mileage. My ignorance at fault. I took car in when close to the indicators last time and was shown a similar picutre (but a lot worse) and I was horrified. I bought new ones and they also did the tracking & alignment etc at the time. I watched them do it - albeit I've no clue what they were doing - I work in IT...  This time I noticed the tyres were getting low again, back ones too (still pass MOT but winter coming so went for 4). Different garage. Same story - "It's a good job you brought the car in". This was Costco - who don't do alignment (I had a £200 voucher)  so I will now take car with new tyres to somewhere else again - not first garage - to get this checked. Again. Just thought I'd ask here. It's alarmingly uneven wear on the very edge. Almost like they've been rubbing. But I got 20k out of them. Bridgestone Turanza. I'm one of those guys who I guess doesn't check the inside edges often enough!!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bap33 said:

I would say it’s most probably a geometry issue (toes out rather than too much negative camber, since they’re quite evenly worn on 3/4 of the width.

Anyway since you have brand new tyres, it’s the right time to get both front and rear axles correctly set. It should prevent this to appear again.

that's what I thoguht last time!  I will do of course - but someone else...

I'm getting different opinions on here and amongst friends. Camber, tracking, toe in, toe out, broken suspension bits. I dunno. I need someone I can trust to actually diagnose / sort it. It's not the cost - it's the safety. My family drive with me in this car. And my mountain bike!!!  I'm near Wigan/Warrington area if anyone has any first hand recommendations it'd be appreciated. 

The logic of asking mileage is suspension parts do wear out, and sometimes can be hard to get in spec, and keep in spec.

Potholes can do a fair bit of damage to suspension of course, and bend a part by a little to put the car out of spec again, old worn bolts perhaps cannot hold the suspension in spec, and sometimes need replacements.  Basically many factors can be mentioned on here, at least now you are aware of the issue, you will keep a closer eye on things in the future, easily checked by applying full lock each direction and taking a look at both sides of the tyres now, rears you can get down low and check as needed.

Now you have new rubber, you should locate a decent tyre centre you can get a 4 wheel alignment done at, complete with printout.  Then experts on here can go over the values and advise much better.

Hopefully someone might suggest a good local place if possible, best of luck to getting this sorted.

Booked in at local ATS for Tuesday. I spoke to a chap who appeared quite knowledgable. Booked in for suspension health check and alignment where they said they can enter reg number on computer and apply manuf spec alignments. I'm annoyed at myself for it happening twice!  I'll post back on Tue when they've had a fettle. Thanks all for your input. 

• Like 1

I’m more concerned by the wear on the edge. 

Ah I'd missed that. Ok, I can't recommend someone near you, but look for a place near your home or work that has a Hunter geometry rig and a reputation. Expect a printed result saying what the camber, castor and toe angles were before and are now for all 4 wheels.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bap33 said:

I would say it’s most probably a geometry issue (toes out rather than too much negative camber....

+1 :thumbup:

3 hours ago, KenONeill said:

.... look for a place near your home or work that has a Hunter geometry rig and a reputation. Expect a printed result saying what the camber, castor and toe angles were before and are now for all 4 wheels.

+1 :thumbup:

Gaz

20 hours ago, KenONeill said:

Ah I'd missed that. Ok, I can't recommend someone near you, but look for a place near your home or work that has a Hunter geometry rig and a reputation. Expect a printed result saying what the camber, castor and toe angles were before and are now for all 4 wheels.

I would go bit further than expect a printout, and specifically ask for a printout with before and after readings.   

On 20/08/2022 at 09:14, Gizmo said:

A 4 wheel laser alignment would pinpoint the issue, could be too much negative camber or the tracking. 

There is a very key part that needs to go along with a laser wheel alignment tool, and that is a tech that has a clue what hes doing and does the job properly. Without it the machine is next to useless and youll have the same issue again.

On 20/08/2022 at 12:02, jimcallaghan said:

Booked in at local ATS for Tuesday. I spoke to a chap who appeared quite knowledgable. Booked in for suspension health check and alignment where they said they can enter reg number on computer and apply manuf spec alignments. I'm annoyed at myself for it happening twice!  I'll post back on Tue when they've had a fettle. Thanks all for your input. 

The last place I would be taking my car is to one of these fast fit chains, the techs there are often just fitters and dont know what they are doing except "green means good on the screen" - im not saying all fast fit tech's but personally I would be looking at an independent with a 4 wheel alignment machine. 

Please also reply to the first comment on this post by myself to give us a bit more understanding on the current situation. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@WRKDK00

Welcome to the forum.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/507419-tyre-wear

?

Did you read this one?   Or is it you?  The pictures are useful. 

http://enyaqforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1211

**Skoda Dealers do need to discus with Skoda UK & CZ the Tyres so that Bridgestone can be part of a discussion. 

Then the expected tyre life will be known at Dealerships, maybe a TPI issued then no excuse for 'Never seen that before' or 'they all wear like that', 

or wasting time and money on alignment checks any more than normally should be done.**

Salespeople, Service Desk staff and managers and Fitters, Techs & Master Techs can get genned up on EV tyres and possible wear as Skoda are going all electric eventually and they need to know these things, selling and maintaining cars is the business they are in after all. 

?

What size wheels and tyres are on the rear of your Enyaq 80 & what pressure are you running them at, and is the car loaded or unloaded with the tyres at that pressure? 

Did you set the tyre pressures when you got the car then reset the TPMS? 

They are 'Self Sealing'  if the tyre gets a puncture / pierced,  so what did the tyre fitter find that had punctured the tyre, or did they think it leaked at the bead?

They need to repair a puncture if they can see what was in the tyre, if it is now out like a small tack then the black thick substance did its job. 

Looking forward to reading the reply you get from Skoda UK customer services.

368071363_Screenshot2022-03-2511_55_58.jpg.edf9de7f74f6008ca469ca99fb9091d8 (1).jpg

Edited by roottoot

Thanks for the reply and I’ll definitely post the reply from Skoda when I get it.

No Im not the person on the Enyaqforum but his experience inspired me to add my story. I am trying to join that one too but having trouble in getting a response.

The tyres are 235/50 on 20 inch wheels and no before the problem with the slow puncture I’d never touched the TPMS, assuming it was correctly set at the factory. In fact the fronts have also started to show signs of wear on the edges but not to the same extent.

I’ve also upped the pressure of the rears to 2.9 bar and I’m keeping a close eye on them to see if it makes a difference.

Load wise it’s been around 60 percent motorway driving, loaded with luggage etc for 2 people the rest of the time just my wife and I.

As for the puncture nothing was found in the tyre and the valve wasn’t leaking in fact the tyre has maintained pressure ever since so apart from regular checks nothing has been done.

• Thanks 1

?

Are you resetting the TPMS now when the pressures are checked and any adjustments made?

The Tyres were set at the Factory. 

That was set for storage and then transportation.

So over inflated for strapping to transporters and there were transport blocks fitted.

At the PDI is when the Dealership or Distribution Centre tech / fitter is supposed to reset them and set the TPMS. & do the other checks, remove transport blocks etc.

You should never trust someone you do not know to set your tyre pressures without checking.

They are not a friend or family member and could not really care in many cases about your safety, and have no idea how or where you drive.

Edited by roottoot

Okay, like most people I suspect I assumed that the pressures would have been correct on the day of delivery of the car so never touched it.

Since the problem with the puncture is reset the TPMS several times including the pressure increase.

Am I right to think this will reset for all the tyres?

We’ve not had an alarm since.

EDIT.

Sorry i was thinking you had different tyre sizes front to rear.

Even with the same size it is too late for changing fronts to rears / rears to front. 

Warning might well not sound when tyres all drop some PSI so no difference detected really unless one is showing enough difference when set.

Hence you check regularly and not wait for warnings unless with a car with a system that shows individual tyres pressures and even heat.

I have no idea of the pressures for your tyres on rear or front.

The cars with staggered tyres are going to be expensive to keep in tyres for many people. 

(Different widths front and rear.)

Do not over inflate if you are not using a car fully loaded, over inflation of stopping tyre wear. 

Terrible for traction / grip for adverse weather conditions. ECO tyre pressures might help range, but safety is more important IMO.

This ID4 is on staggered tyres.

I have seen Enyaq 80's on the 21" rims.

Screenshot 2022-10-10 09.45.40.jpg

Edited by roottoot

• 5 months later...

My Octavia has scrubbed out the rear tyres on the inside.  A few years ago this happen and I had the rear suspension bushes changed.  It has now happened again, so it's booked in for the garage to check as I can't find an obvious fault.