NSR brake disc cover

Othen

Whilst trying to find the source of a mystery rattle from the back of my 2013 Elegance estate (I thought it was the heat shield and have spent 2 weeks chasing ghosts there), I found the culprit (accidentally) today. The metal around the three fasteners that hold the NSR brake disc cover has worn away (vibration rather than corrosion) leaving the cover insecure, here is one of them:

671DF4D2-82D6-450B-8F51-4308DDD3AF54.thumb.jpeg.9dd263dcf5fbe693cb14f3556d7c78e7.jpeg

I have never seen this happen previously, is it a common failing with Skoda cars? Anyway, access was really difficult, I removed the calliper and outside pad, the handbrake cable and loosened the rotor:

4C0E14DB-04DB-4989-A1CE-48287BEDEFCF.thumb.jpeg.f4d5c3e2eb17a3b6be28ba476547f037.jpeg

… but I didn’t have the right size torx to remove the bolts that hold the carrier from the back of the hub, it must be something between T55 and T60 (the two nearest sizes I had), so I couldn’t get the rotor off for a better look at the bolts not securing the cover. It is this bolt:6A0926C8-5143-4617-80F7-612BCFC2DEE3.thumb.jpeg.c254bca063fd165c19c5415b8a5d199a.jpeg

… does anyone know the right size torx head?

This isn’t dangerous as such (the cover has nowhere to go) but the rattle is annoying. I couldn’t do any more today without being able to remove the brake carrier, and for that I need to find the right size torx driver to buy. I’ve reassembled everything and will sort it out when I’ve assembled the right tools in the next few days.

Has anyone else had to do this job? Any advice on the repair would be most welcome.

Alan

6 minutes ago, Othen said:

it must be something between T55 and T60

Nope, not Torx at all. 12-points not 6, therefore XZN or spline. Can find the appropriate tool size if it's XZN by measuring or just by buying a set.

triplesquaretable.pdf

Edited by Breezy_Pete
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Phutters said:

Almost certainly one of these.

Almost certainly rather than definitely.

The one in the link fits the rear carrier bolts on a 2021 Karoq, and while it's more than likely the same bolt, it'd obviously be best to check.

Many thanks chaps, it does indeed look like a XZN M14 so I've ordered the Amazon one - I found another thread that corroborated the size.

The disc covers seem to be cheap and plentiful, I'll order a pair of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284037541867

... only £30, and perhaps I'll need the offside one as well.

Alan

PS. I'll just go and spay those two bolts with some RP90 before I jack the car down :-).

Edited by Othen

Just a reminder.

Often you can wiggle the disc free without removing the carrier. The rust might prevent it but give it a try.

Also, these bolts for the brake carrier are single use stretch bolts and are meant to be replaced after every use. 

• Like 1

What a crappy job that was for the sake of a piece of tin that stops the back of the OSR brake disc getting dirty. It needed doing though as the rattle was driving us mad.

I'd already got as far as taking the calliper off and undoing the disc bolt last week, so that bit took no time at all. Then I fiddled around for ages trying to wiggle the disc past the carrier, but eventually gave up and set about removing the it. What an arduous job that was - the XZN M14 driver fitted perfectly, but there was precious little room to get a breaker bar inside; eventually I got the bolts loosened and the carrier dropped off, and with it the disc.

Next problem: the design of the dust cover meant it would have been impossible to get off without removing the hub. Grrrrrr! I found a YouTube that I would need a M18 XZN driver that I didn't have. I couldn't find one available locally and I couldn't leave the motor car jacked up on the drive indefinitely, so I had to choose between:

1. Cutting off the dust cover, reassembling without it and calling it a day.
  2. Reassembling with the dust cover and letting it rattle until next weekend when I had sourced a M18 XZN driver (that would have driven us mad).
  3. Cutting off the dust cover, modifying the new cover so it could be fitted and reassembling.

I thought about this over a cuppa and reasoned it didn't need much structural integrity, it was just a bit of tin that kept the dirt out: so option 3 would work fine. I trimmed the thin part that passes under the brake calliper but serves no real purpose with the angle grinder.

It worked fine, everything is back together and the irritating rattle is banished.627587FD-5742-467B-BAC8-6B5E413AC4F2.thumb.jpeg.e9f2259dbf583a2b7d1330de4355e770.jpeg

Many thanks for your help chaps. XZN fasteners seem to be all over the Skoda, so I'll order a set up to M18 :-).

Alan

Edited by Othen
  • Like 3

• 7 months later...

I noticed this morn that the OSR dust cover has started rattling - fortunately they came as a pair so I'll get that changed at the weekend.

😒

On 18/04/2023 at 09:43, Othen said:

I noticed this morn that the OSR dust cover has started rattling - fortunately they came as a pair so I'll get that changed at the weekend.

😒

Doing this job for a second time was much easier - but it is still a crappy task.

😬

I simply cut through a part of the dust cover that is not exposed through to the centre hole and then twist/distort it to get it on behind the hub and twist it back into shape, the fixing bolts hold it together without a gap.

Its kind of the reverse of chewing off the old one but with a bit more care taken.

• 2 months later...
On 21/04/2023 at 14:42, J.R. said:

I simply cut through a part of the dust cover that is not exposed through to the centre hole and then twist/distort it to get it on behind the hub and twist it back into shape, the fixing bolts hold it together without a gap.

Its kind of the reverse of chewing off the old one but with a bit more care taken.

Did you not need to remove the disc (and so the calliper carrier) to access the three mounting screws?

Alan