Replacing VERY noisy 18" Firestone tyres

Spudskoda

@SurreyJohnDo you think they are gritting or ploughing every non truck route road and back road every night, or Sunday or Bank Holiday through the winter because they are not. 

Even Police cars, Ambulances, Fire Engines, District Nurses, cares and Super Market Delivery vans, Posties get put out on vehicles with Summer / ECO tyres on.

• Like 2

On 15/09/2022 at 15:25, Spudskoda said:

Cheers Nigel, I wasn't aware of this - another pearl of wisdom gleaned from this fabulous forum - every day is a school day :) 

The huge long link contains loads of tracking crap and is best avoided.

• Thanks 1

Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.

2 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

In meantime summer tyres are useless.

That can depend on how big and wide the wheels and tyres are.

In my neck of the woods there's a panic if snow settles yet mobile hills of snow will be on the road with ****holes in the snow for drivers to look out of or if you're lucky the wipers have been forced to clear a couple of arcs, obviously the rush to get somewhere is now even greater with sometimes great cubes of snow  being dumped with the motion.

Some friends lived at Castle Bolton, N. Yorks. for a while, above the snow line, and they said one time the village got snowed in, they couldn't get their Scooby off the slopping drive because of the ice and even the Landies didn't make it all the way up the hill to the village but they watched a small old Vauxhall (Nova IIRC) slowly but steadily climb the hill and make it to the top and into the village, narrow wheels and tyres.

In the late 70s early 80s when I had a 1966 (VP) 1100 I went out to a village that others hadn't bothered to that day as no one had told me about it, it might have been that I was expecting more from a FWD but I didn't find it much better than a small RWD.  Having said that I drove my wife's Cortina Mk3 (2000E) in the start of the 1990s and I let her have my Skoda Estelle 2 because of the laying snow and the Cortina was hopeless, I had to work hard to get it around the back streets of town - but it did have low profile wider tyres 185/70 R13.

14 hours ago, Pilotguy said:

We really just don’t get the same cold spells as much of the rest of the UK 

I lived in North Devon near Exmoor (not that far from Cornwall) when 'The Beast From The East' blew in and we had roads on Exmoor blocked with 12 feet snowdrifts and the road to our house had 4-6 inches of snow which froze into craggy ice. It was noticeable that our neighbour on All Season tyres had no problem getting out to the local shops, while we couldn't even get out of the drive on Summer tyres.

While events like this are much less common in the West Country they do still happen, my mindset is to be prepared.

I respect your opinion but mine is different

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nta16 said:

That can depend on how big and wide the wheels and tyres are.

... and the driver's style of driving in those conditions.

In 1986 I had a Renault 5GT Turbo which ran 195 profile tyres on a car that weighed nor much more than a baked bean can.

On my way to work in central Camberley one showy morning I had to drive up a steep hill from a bridge over the M3, on arriving at the bottom of the hill I was confronted by a long line of cars making no progress at all, but by careful throttle control and use of left foot braking to control the inevitable wheelspin I drove up the hill with no problems at all - much to the annoyance of several stuck 'Chelsea tractors'.

• Like 2