Skoda Octavia ChipTuning

Hi all, 

I'm new to this forum so a quick introduction: My name is Stefan, live in Belgium, own a VW Caddy 2.0 TDI myself and i'm very interested in cars in general :-)

My wife owns a Skoda Octavia Combi 2017 1.6TDI 115HP (Facelift model) with a DSG gearbox. I was wondering if tuning the engine to stage 1 was a good idea because of the DQ200 DSG gearbox.

I've read about them being not the best gearboxes so i'm having doubts. I don't want to do anything that'll harm it to much. That's why i hope you guys can give me some good advice!

The reason why she wants it tuned is it will be more easier to overtake in trafic + some extra Torq makes driving a lot more enjoyable.

Welcome.

Best talk with who you would use to do a remap. I would not use a Plug in Tuning box.

The DSG can be remapped as well.

It should be fine if you were looking to just go to 150 PS or so.

The DQ200 DSG works fine as long as not faulty and can handle more than the 250Nm that VW has as the limit for it.

People run tuned petrol engines with over 200 bhp & 300 Nm with a standard DQ200, clutches and ECU / Manuagement.

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, roottoot said:

Welcome.

Best talk with who you would use to do a remap. I would not use a Plug in Tuning box.

The DSG can be remapped as well.

It should be fine if you were looking to just go to 150 PS or so.

The DQ200 DSG works fine as long as not faulty and can handle more than the 250Nm that VW has as the limit for it.

People run tuned petrol engines with over 200 bhp & 300 Nm with a standard DQ200, clutches and ECU / Manuagement.

A tuning box wasn't an option. I would always go for a remap. I called with a couple of tuning companies and i'm getting different answers.

Some tell me to do just a remap stage 1 (145HP and 300NM) without touching the DSG software.

Others tell me that when i want to remap to stage 1, they NEED TO change the DSG software (put the Torq limit higher), and i'll need to pay €110 more then just stage 1 remap.

Are they just trying to make more money off of me or is it true?

Trying to make money off you, or trying to save you money because you end up needing to spend 2,000 euro getting the clutch packs replaced.

You have to decide.

So you can do stage 1 and not do anything to the DQ200 DSG.

Or do it and do something like remap it.

?

Do the company that can remap to stage 1 but say no need to remap the DSG actually do a DSG remap if you want it, or is that not a product they have?

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/416315-remapping-16-tdi-with-dsg

Edited by roottoot

You're right. Better spend a bit more and be safe then having to spend a lot more in time.

The company does not offer DSG remap on it's website but they are offering it aside from stage 1. Like the other topic says, it's not for BIG power, just a bit more. So I think it'll be safe to just do the stage 1.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 28/09/2022 at 14:12, Vlady said:

Hi, how did it go? Did you remap your engine? 

Hi Vlady,

Sorry for the late response.

I did. They did a stage 1 remap + adjusted the Torque of the DQ200 so it could handle more.

The car feels significantly faster and gear shifts happen much more smoother. Worth every penny!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, StefanMsk said:

Hi Vlady,

Sorry for the late response.

I did. They did a stage 1 remap + adjusted the Torque of the DQ200 so it could handle more.

The car feels significantly faster and gear shifts happen much more smoother. Worth every penny!

Thanks for reply, much appreciated.

So what output your car has now, bhp and Nm?

Was it a 2 different jobs i.e stage 1 and DSG remap?

3 minutes ago, Vlady said:

Thanks for reply, much appreciated.

So what output your car has now, bhp and Nm?

Was it a 2 different jobs i.e stage 1 and DSG remap?

The car should have 145bhp and 310Nm but they didn't do a Dyno run so i can't be 100% sure.

I left the car with the tuner for a whole day and they did the Stage 1 + DSG remap so it could handle 350nm instead of the factory 250nm limit.

Payed €470 (408 BP) in total. Stage 1 would be €300 (260 BP).

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Vlady said:

I just saw your post above and it is a second job for DSG. Seems like it is a must - if you do remap Stage 1 then DSG needs to be looked at as well.

Yes it IS needed because of the factory limiter of 250NM. Tuning the car without doing the DSG would be pointless i guess.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, roottoot said:

There is no factory limiter of 250Nm. 

The factory fit DQ200's to engines that do not produce more than 250 Nm. (supposedly).   Plenty tune / upgrade the engine with a standard DQ200 DSG.  There is no 'limiter'. 

Just telling you what the guy from Volkswagen told me. It's a fact they fit DQ200's to cars that produce more than 250nm but i think it's a software thing that's keeps it from producing more. Don't know the exact details..

• 3 months later...
On 24/10/2022 at 16:25, StefanMsk said:

Just telling you what the guy from Volkswagen told me. It's a fact they fit DQ200's to cars that produce more than 250nm but i think it's a software thing that's keeps it from producing more. Don't know the exact details..

Hi Stefan, how do you find the car after engine and DSG remap? Was it worth it?

I booked my Karoq for tomorrow to do the same, engine and DSG, very curious how the car will feel after that.

Previously I had tuning done to diesel cars I owned and it was well worth it, with this car only the gearbox that worries me, the tuner says he will add 30bhp and 85Nm of torque.

Thanks 

It depends what you’re used to but i would def. recommend it because every bit of torque extra is always a good thing! My wife is liking it very much!

For me it was just ok.. (a bit spoiled with lots of torque) I’ve had my Golf 2.0 TDI dsg (DQ250) tuned and it was an amazing difference. Same for my 2.0 TDI Caddy. 

Hope you’ll like it. Please let me know how you’re car feels after the tuning!

• Like 1

@VladyWho is doing the remap on the 1.5 TSI ACT and a DQ200 DSG, is it http://ecotune-scotland.co.uk

Have you fitted new spark plugs & an Air filter before it gets done and are you running the car on Super Unleaded E5?

Guessing that your car is a keeper you could have a big future bill coming up getting the Cam Belt done even if not at 5 years and later.

Having a warranty valid on a 1.5 TSI ACT with a DSG is a good idea IMO. 

(Is your Karoq is a  FWD & not an AWD?)

The same Karoq as here?

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/507580-dsg-7-dry

166640301_60764764_1384336435_Screenshot2022-01-3014_03_59.jpg.d43b66a38bf086423e31cbd1b02722b8(1).jpg.3125813bcac7e751b91722e0efc8d26e(2).jpg.a890db911da240e500f9dee0cf548ad4.jpg

Edited by toot

Hi @toot,

It wasn't ecotune, I went to the guy I know for the last 5 years, he is based in Glasgow, MartinAutoClinic, ha has done previously couple of diesel cars I owned and I was happy with his work.

The petrol I use is e5 Shell V-Power but air filter and spark plugs were not changed, the car has only done 14k miles.

Warranty is great to have but will it cover chipped engine and DSG? I doubt that. The car is on extended Skoda warranty for another 1.5 year, even though it is on 69 plate.

Air filter I will change in a couple of thousand miles during my next service, I will do it even if Skoda says it does not need to be done until 40k miles for example.

56 minutes ago, StefanMsk said:

It depends what you’re used to but i would def. recommend it because every bit of torque extra is always a good thing! My wife is liking it very much!

For me it was just ok.. (a bit spoiled with lots of torque) I’ve had my Golf 2.0 TDI dsg (DQ250) tuned and it was an amazing difference. Same for my 2.0 TDI Caddy. 

Hope you’ll like it. Please let me know how you’re car feels after the tuning!

The car initial test had shown to have 152bhp and 241.3Nm torque, after remap we achieved 172bhp and 323Nm, I wanted to go with save numbers so not too overload a gearbox. I also did a DSG remap.

After 40 minutes of driving home I honestly did not see much difference, for example with diesel engines I noticed the difference straight away, with petrol not so much, it does look like the car picks up better from 50-60mph but during normal driving I can't really tell the difference, weird. May be something to do with the engine being petrol or I just don't want to floor it! lol :)

Even picking up kids from school the car behaved as usual, may be gearbox need time to adjust? May be I need to change air filter and plugs? Will give it a few more days and have guts to properly floor it.

I also not sure if my fuel consumption will be affected, with diesel engines the fuel actually got better but with petrol who knows, will see.

I remember that my automatic diesel BMW after remaping stopped changing gears from 3rd to 2nd on some hills as it had enough added torque to pull the car through, with Karoq, the same roads and the same driving experience as it was before remapping.

I trust the guy, he has very modern dyno road and he spent 3.5 hours playing with the car so do not think he just took my money and did nothing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No Warranty after the Remap is done.

What anyone says on an Airfilter means nothing, especially since they have no idea where the vehicle might be used,  as all that matters is it is clean / fresh. 

I would have at least looked at the spark plugs but since out changed them a few hundred miles before a remap.

Try Tesco Momentum 99. We get good stuff in Scotland. 99 minimum. it can be 100 / 100+.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, toot said:

No Warranty after the Remap is done.

What anyone says on an Airfilter means nothing, especially since they have no idea where the vehicle might be used,  as all that matters is it is clean / fresh. 

I would have at least looked at the spark plugs but since out changed them a few hundred miles before a remap.

Try Tesco Momentum 99. We get good stuff in Scotland. 99 minimum. it can be 100 / 100+.

Will try Tesco next time. Will also price air filter and spark plugs. Are the spark plugs straight forward to change? Om my previous hybrid Lexus it was one hell of a job!

image.thumb.png.aec32e621c10b107cdf05e17df59a713.png

This is graph I got. It seems like I should feel that additional torque!

• Love it! 1
  • Thanks 1

That is the first figures achieved with a 1.5 TSI ACT i have seen.

What gear was he using? 

Best leave the plugs for now and see that there are no hicups.  ECP or EML coming on.

Ignition Coil removal tool required rather than being hashy / red neck.  Your tuner will have one.

Edited by toot
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Vlady said:

Will try Tesco next time. Will also price air filter and spark plugs. Are the spark plugs straight forward to change? Om my previous hybrid Lexus it was one hell of a job!

image.thumb.png.aec32e621c10b107cdf05e17df59a713.png

This is graph I got. It seems like I should feel that additional torque!

At what RPM does your car change gear during normal driving, @Vlady?

11 hours ago, toot said:

That is the first figures achieved with a 1.5 TSI ACT i have seen.

What gear was he using? 

Best leave the plugs for now and see that there are no hicups.  ECP or EML coming on.

Ignition Coil removal tool required rather than being hashy / red neck.  Your tuner will have one.

No idea what gear, I thought it should work through all the gears being DSG?

11 hours ago, EnterName said:

At what RPM does your car change gear during normal driving, @Vlady?

I looked at the rpm this morning and driving normally all the gear changes happen about just under 2000rpm, sometimes, when going over big speed bumps the car drops to 1st gear and changes to 2nd at almost 2750rpm which gives unnecessary revs, noise and speed higher than you require for condition but this was before remap and was annoying me, I was hoping the DSG remap will solve this but it is the same thing now.