How to get cables through from the engine bay to the interior (and connect my subwoofer)?

Steveyg777

I've just wasted an afternoon trying to install my Kenwood SW11 subwoofer. I tried to figure out how to get a power line from the engine bay through to my subwoofer but I can't find a grommet or know where to drill a hole into the interior safely. The engine bay is crammed with stuff so there aren't many areas open to put a hole from. I tried removing the glove box before seeing that it is part of the dashboard. removing the whole dashboard seems ridiculous to just get a hole through.

The sub will be installed via RCA cables to my pioneer sph-250dab stereo and comes with two cables for power. one is blue, for the included remotes power. the other is yellow and for the sub’s power (with a fuse on it). there is also a black grounding cable.

Can anyone tell me how to get through this freakin firewall easily and safely, please? (preferably with images of where to make the hole or find an existing hole, etc). Could I not just connect the sub power cable to my interior fuse box (ignition fuse)? And the ground to a screw near the fuse box? I think the remote power could also connect with the sub power?

There are a few grommets in the bulkhead where you can easily get into the cabin, don't look at the engine bay if it confuses you, look at the bulkhead, this is the back wall of the engine bay, anywhere that you can see wires or pipes going into the bulkhead you'll find a grommet. Try that.

• Like 1

Ideally you would want the left side to feed a supply from the battery, unfortunately most if not all the wiring into the cabin goes through on the drivers side.

You need to remove the wipers and scuttle panel, then you can see the view attached. I have arrowed a "potential" entry into the left side of the cabin but you would need to locate it up under the dash to ensure you can access the other side.

IMG-1021.thumb.jpg.31eff8f6ae3b36d431f01c9201f1339e.jpg

If thats not accessible, then on the drivers side, there is the main electrical loom entry, you can access this by looking up above the pedals on the drivers side, you can see "arrowed" where I went in with the factory cruise control kit.

IMG-1020.thumb.jpg.bb6686a339f534b9eb71114573d88be2.jpg

Using both scenarios you would need to get through the engine firewall first, that can be done through the bonnet release cable exisiting grommet (if your new cable fits) or drill a hole near to where is is.

IMG-1022.thumb.jpg.23a362712be0bb249498e7c7740c0c53.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

1 hour ago, UrbanPanzer said:

Ideally you would want the left side to feed a supply from the battery, unfortunately most if not all the wiring into the cabin goes through on the drivers side.

You need to remove the wipers and scuttle panel, then you can see the view attached. I have arrowed a "potential" entry into the left side of the cabin but you would need to locate it up under the dash to ensure you can access the other side.

IMG-1021.thumb.jpg.31eff8f6ae3b36d431f01c9201f1339e.jpg

If thats not accessible, then on the drivers side, there is the main electrical loom entry, you can access this by looking up above the pedals on the drivers side, you can see "arrowed" where I went in with the factory cruise control kit.

IMG-1020.thumb.jpg.bb6686a339f534b9eb71114573d88be2.jpg

Using both scenarios you would need to get through the engine firewall first, that can be done through the bonnet release cable exisiting grommet (if your new cable fits) or drill a hole near to where is is.

IMG-1022.thumb.jpg.23a362712be0bb249498e7c7740c0c53.jpg

Thanks that's really helpful. The second location you mention is on the drivers side and then you say about the bonnet release grommet. So i will have to get the cable from one side of the car over to the other side right? (And do it blind as to knowing where the cable is traveling exactly). Is this a lot easier in practice than it sounds in my mind? (I'm a noob and expecting to mess it up).

Doing it this way will also mean i don't have to take the dashboard off etc?

46 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

Hopefully the OP's hearing is better than his eyesight!

That was unnecessary. This is supposed to be a forum where people help one another, not a place to mock people. I am a noob, and yes i saw various things on the bulk head but had no idea where they would lead to on the inside and how to access them from the inside. And i don't want to start drilling holes all over the place in the hope that one is going to work. If i had a car geek mate available i wouldn't have needed to ask for advice. It's great that you think this is all easy stuff but i don't know the first thing about what I'm doing and don't want to get it wrong. Go easy.

18 minutes ago, Steveyg777 said:

That was unnecessary. This is supposed to be a forum where people help one another, not a place to mock people. I am a noob, and yes i saw various things on the bulk head but had no idea where they would lead to on the inside and how to access them from the inside. And i don't want to start drilling holes all over the place in the hope that one is going to work. If i had a car geek mate available i wouldn't have needed to ask for advice. It's great that you think this is all easy stuff but i don't know the first thing about what I'm doing and don't want to get it wrong. Go easy.

C'mon fella, I'm just pulling your leg, I did give you decent advice at the top. Relax.

If you are drilling blind, or at least blind on one side you do indeed need good hearing and also a highly developed sense of feel on the drill in order to avoid damaging something else.

I am partially sighted and do many jobs by feel and sound, in fact in the dark or in inaccessible areas that cannot be seen I am no longer handicapped but gifted.

Hi there.I'm following petes advice to go through the grommet near the windscreen wipers. As usual I've hit a problem. I can't get the freaking wiper arms off! Are these things welded on? 😂 

I haven't got fancy removal devices at hand either. Just a couple of spanners.

image.jpg

I've got the one off after using wd40 and a lot of elbow grease but the one in the  centre of the window won't budge. I've tried putting a pound coin over the top but in just deforming the coin 

image.jpg