MK3 choice

Jenac

Hello all! I'm currently driving a 1.0L focus which is fine as a car overall. Not so long ago I've realized I want/need something else, as my car is sluggish at best (struggling getting up to the speed at lights and on motorways. It's even worse when going out with my family of 3 adults and 2 kids. Not to mention that the boot space is not enough for all the stuff we need when going on long trips. Needless to say about the leg room in the back. Being a titanium X, I got all the whistles and bells that could be fitted in it. Obviously I got used to all of it's great perks and would definitely consider them as a must in my next car.

I begun looking for something well equipped but more spacious, more nippy, yet not too big or expensive. My budget could stretch to £12k and I want the best value for the money. The Skoda had to be shortlisted, as I could not find anything better than a mk3 Octavia. The only trim that would match my titanium X  is L&K and everything below would be a serious downgrade.

After doing some research, the only engines that come with L&K are 2.0 TDI and the 1.8TSI. I cannot tell anything about my average annual mileage as I've only got my licence in July last year. I've done about 9k during the first 12 months but now I use it for my daily commute (18ish miles each way). The company I'm working for is going to supply a little van so my next car would be used for shopping around (about 4miles trips or less) and obviously for weekend day outs around Surrey, Devon, Berkshire and Buckinghamshire (other places to be considered once I get another car :) )

What's the engine to go for? Is DSG as scary as they say? Manual seems like a safer option but it considerably narrows my list. Not so many L&K's on autotrader :)

Thank you in advance for your replies and apologies for my TL:DR post!

Welcome.

No idea about a DSG being scary, maybe you mean unreliable.  Try one, they are a joy.

Do not worry about a newer 7 speed twin dry clutch DSG with a 1.8 TSI. 

No point getting a 2.0TDI if you are doing lots of short runs.  IMO. 

Maybe @PetrolDavewill give you some advice on a 1.8 TSI / DSG L&K as he recently got one i think.

Edited by roottoot

I'm a +1 on George's (root toot) comments and was also going to mention Dave's recent acquisition.

DSG's are great, not at all scary.  I don't think manual's are necessarily a 'safer option'. We've the DQ200 dry clutch DSG in our 1.8TSI Polo GTI and it's been faultless and a peach 👍 

Gaz

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jenac said:

Is it true that you get worse mpg with autos?

Nope (well yes, but the DSG might not be the typical auto you're thinking about).  Technically a DSG is an automated manual - it has two clutches rather than a torque converter.  MPG will be far more affected by the way it's driven, and looked after.  On a recent 500 mile round trip, my 2.0 GTI with a DSG averaged 46mpg, and more efficient engines get better.

To quote Dave, from this thread:

'Not only is the DSG nicer to drive but my 1.8TSI DSG gives better mpg figures than the 1.4TSI manual despite me driving it enthusiastically(!).'

Diesel Particulate Filter removal/gutting.  The DPF gets clogged if it does shorter journeys and can be expensive to resolve and a pain in the arse in between.  A very general rule of thumb is a diesel won't be financially advantageous unless the car is doing upwards of 20k miles a year.

Gaz

Edited by Gaz
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, roottoot said:

Maybe @PetrolDavewill give you some advice on a 1.8 TSI / DSG L&K as he recently got one i think.

Previously I had a 1.4TSI 6 speed manual, I wanted a DSG but my ex has 'a thing' about all auto/DSG/MMT, I am so glad I've now got a 1.8TSI 7 speed DSG as it makes it a much more pleasant drive.

Don't get me wrong I like performance manual cars (my previous was an Audi RS4 with a 6 speed manual but the 4.2L engine was so flexible it could go from 20mph to 155+mph in 6th gear!).

But the Octavia, even the vRS, isn't IMHO a performance car (vRS owners getting ready to argue with me...) and the DSG suits it really well. I mainly drive with the DSG in E mode but with kickdown or tapping the gear lever into S mode (I NEED paddles!) it makes me smile as it leave a big gap to the car behind. BTW I've added the underbonnet sound dampening pad so that's the only time I hear the engine.

DSG or manual Octavia? Having driven both for me its DSG every single time.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Jenac said:

Does L&K have heated back seats?

No only the front seats, the drivers seat is electric and has memory (which also memorises the mirror positions and means mirror dip on reverse works properly).

There is no Water Pump replacing Schedule or Guidelines.

The car can be set on Fixed  or Variable Servicing. 

24 months / 18,000 -20,000 miles.

I would have it on fixed, so 9,400 / 12 month Oil & Filter Services and other stuff.    I would even use 5w 40 FS oil, VW 502 00, rather than Long Life 5w 30 FS FS III , VW504 00 / 507 00.

The DSG has no servicing requirement. 

The example below is old prices and when there was Minor & Major Servicing time about, or Major & Major.

In Blue the new Recommendations, Guidelines or even Schedule as Skoda UK have it. Last years prices. 

827614452_SkodaFixedPriceServicing.JPG.3dbea7606c029076ed94e2f0216199b6.jpeg.689c25a185d90e4e44889f342770023b.jpeg

1221833257_Screenshot2020-10-03at13_19_19.jpg.c743b2191e0cb186e97d46c7df84c5cf.jpg

1168293554_37335614_Screenshot2021-09-14at07_38_18(3).webp.ee5b8a609f78b3b2f42441d7532010fa.webp

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

Not true.

Drives to give comfort like a Taxi / Airport Transport, after all that is what many are for.

Perfect for getting around UK roads with corners as they have a 60 mph speed limit anyway. Perfect over speed bumps ect. 

If you want a crashy model then do not go for a L&K.  Actually if you want a sporty handling car maybe forget an Octavia. 

PS.

I hope you are going to try some before buying, and a proper long road test of the one you finally chose. 

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

I'm not a fast driver by any means (1.0L wouldn't allow it anyway) but the bodyroll of my focus is annoying. Especially when driving my family around. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jenac said:

Is it true that it has a terrible bodyroll? Is the suspension better compared to other trims?

I used to own an Audi RS4 which has a suspension setup optimised for handling so very little body roll, my L&K is I think a better compromise as it's much more comfortable over speed bumps and the body roll is minimal - certainly the small bolsters on the front seats are more than sufficient.

I'm not aware of the L&K suspension setup being different to non-vRS trims.

Sounds like you need to drive an Octavia to compare against your Focus - time to blag a test drive from a local dealer?

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

- time to blag a test drive from a local dealer?

Definitely yes, once I get the chance to see the one I'm aiming at (no time at all). I'm asking all these questions as my curiosity is not something I can control. 😊

Off topic but have you considered a similar age Seat Leon? I love my Octavia (2015 estate, VRS, DSG) but my wife has a Seat Leon estate, 1.2 TSi 3 cylinder. Its more comfortable than my Octavia as an everyday driver and has a similar amount of room. Its also quieter for road noise. This is also the mk2 engine of the 1.2 TSi, the mk1's seemed to be a bit more unreliable. They do a range of engines including the 1.8 TSI and DSG boxes. If you want the 1.8 and DSG (paddles included) you can pick up a well specced FR for £10k-ish.

Unfortunately I can't advise on the L&K model. My VRS is well specced, nicely put together, DSG Is hugely fun and as long as its been looked after (most 6 speed DSGs need servicing every 40k) they should be reliable. Maybe a little less fuel efficient in stop start traffic than manual but on a run I regularly get 40mpg. DSG will naturally keep the revs lower than you'll probably drive a manual.

7 minutes ago, Dooge said:

a well specced FR for £10k-ish

Thanks for the suggestion but the well specced Leon I could find were way above of my budget of £12k.

Just now, Jenac said:

Thanks for the suggestion but the well specced Leon I could find were way above of my budget of £12k.

I think it depends what mileage/spec you look at. Just looked at L&K models on Autotrader and they arnt much different price wise to petrol VRS for age/mileage, albeit they only had 3 MK3 petrol L&K's on there. 

9 hours ago, Dooge said:

I think it depends what mileage/spec you look at. Just looked at L&K models on Autotrader and they arnt much different price wise to petrol VRS for age/mileage, albeit they only had 3 MK3 petrol L&K's on there. 

When I was looking at L&Ks a couple of months ago they ranged from £12k with 60k miles to £14k with 40k miles - the classic tradeoff of miles vs pounds.

3 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

When I was looking at L&Ks a couple of months ago they ranged from £12k with 60k miles to £14k with 40k miles - the classic tradeoff of miles vs pounds.

I think Autotrader is naturally a higher than others too, that's always worth remembering. eBay prices seen to be more authentic. Its worth checking Facebook too. 

As for OP, I am sorry I went on a bit of tangent, you wanted to know about Octavia's specifically! I think as a platform they feel like a large car, especially estates. One common complaint is they are noisy in terms of road noise, especially estates. This isn't so bad at 30/40/50 but definitely noticeable at motorway speeds. Comfort wise most VAG stuff I always find to be stiffer than other makes, even none sporty models. Rear tyres, especially on estates seem to suffer from flatspotting which creates horrible helicopter noises at speed. This is a characteristic of multi link suspension, I don't know if the L&K models are solid rear beam or multi link like the VRS but I'm sure someone can tell you. Suspension in general can creak as it wears.

For local shopping trips go for petrol. The hassle that happens with diesel engines on shorter journeys in terms of coked up EGRs and DPFs isn't worth the savings in road tax or MPG and you won't notice much difference until you get on long trips. If you are sensible I'd expect the 1.8 TSI to return a sensible economy for what it is. As for manual/DSG, try and drive both. Ive always found manuals not that special in modern VAG cars and the DSG is a game changer in smoothness. 

L&K is top of the range spec wise and not that common. 

Personally I think you would be fine with a diesel on an 18-mile each way commute that's plenty of time to get up to temperature and burn off any residues. IMHO.