Honey combe grille

Probably a pure question of taste... I think this honeycomb grill fits quite well to the Sportline version, but it looks somehow weird on a L&K version.

Is it related to the combination with glossy black trims on Sportline instead of chrome ones on L&K?  Or is it juts me?

I recall seeing one of these fitted in a thread and it shows a lot of internals in the light. I think the suggestion was to put some black plastic mesh on the back before fitting for the best appearance.

here’s the thread:

3 hours ago, Bap33 said:

Probably a pure question of taste... I think this honeycomb grill fits quite well to the Sportline version, but it looks somehow weird on a L&K version.

Is it related to the combination with glossy black trims on Sportline instead of chrome ones on L&K?  Or is it juts me?

I agree too - the honeycomb grille is not suited to the L&K models, with it's chrome accents around the car.

It's better suited to the Sportline models.

I've done a hybrid (L&K + Sportline) version with the grille on my car, being L&K based, to have a black outside trim (instead of chrome), with the interior slates the usual chrome.

PXL_20220719_111330522.thumb.jpg.ffaa75c60af5357098b08cfb22307073.jpg

I've also done a similar theme with my round badges - black surround, chrome centre.

PXL_20220725_091340729.thumb.jpg.2ef936b5d5a8586ab1521206bac13d3b.jpg

PXL_20220725_091451906.thumb.jpg.c30464386cbd88ca5e29264382b56c0f.jpg

1 hour ago, JR RS said:

I agree too - the honeycomb grille is not suited to the L&K models, with it's chrome accents around the car. It's better suited to the Sportline models.

Does your have half the grille closed off?

I like the honeycomb, but was wondering why the engineers have done that? I assume they have worked out thats all the opening needed and any extra causes drag. Without measuring I 'd say there's at least 0.5m2 which would flow plenty.

20221008_173610.jpg

Edited by Legion

1 hour ago, Legion said:

Does your have half the grille closed off?

I like the honeycomb, but was wondering why the engineers have done that? I assume they have worked out thats all the opening needed and any extra causes drag. Without measuring I 'd say there's at least 0.5m2 which would flow plenty.

Yes, mine has the half closed design.

All of the Superbs have the same design. The airflow is designed in such a way that the intake air enters from the bottom half opening.

I opened up one of closed air intakes behind the grille.

I don't why one of them is closed from factory.  Same story on both 220 (162) and 280 (206) Superbs.

Combined with opening the ductwork at the top, u'll get more airflow into the airbox.

1428366743_20201030_200857-COLLAGE2.thumb.jpg.a67ae3a38f3a36ca5eb0f754ca61feb2.jpg

1416203672_AirIntakeopening.thumb.jpg.de3e17a57fb23696f2352c42d4cd7ea2.jpg