The dreaded brake problem...again!

Batwoman

Hi all,

Not a newbie really but new computer and lost all my logins - Briskoda doesn't respond to any of my email addresses so I've had to start afresh.

I am hoping somebody can help with my dreadful brakes. I am well aware there's an ongoing fault with Citigo brakes being made of chocolate or something like that but I'd like some advice.

Citigo 75hp on a 63 plate. Had replacement warranty discs at 6 months old then fine until a few years later when we fitted EBC discs and pads. Been fine for several thousand miles until last year when it failed the mot. The garage replaced them (don't know what with, they said OE) but literally 3 months later they were wobbling again. We argued with the garage and managed to get them changed under warranty but then, pretty much another 3 months later it happens again.

I've put up with them but it's driving me mad. I have done SO much research and, according to many posts, it doesn't seem to matter what brand you fit, it happens again - this suggests it's not actually the discs at fault. I found something on another forum that suggested it was a fault with the hubs and that only the 2011-2015 models were affected but I've checked the EPC and the part number is the same for all models with no supersession (I'm in motorcycle parts so sort of have an idea how it works).

This theory seems to make sense so I am wondering could this be the solution? Do I fit new hubs, bearings, discs and pads? The mot is due in January and I know it will fail but I don't want to shell out for discs and pads again just for it to happen again 3 months down the line.

Has anybody heard anything regarding this theory or please, if anybody has a solution please let me know.

Thank you in advance.

I believe you are correct in identifying the hubs as the issue. I had the same problems on both 2014 and 2016 cars. I put a lot of miles on the cars, getting on for 100000 miles each. 

What I found was that all was well up to the first time the wheels were removed / replaced. I suspected hubs (they look pretty flimsy) and so when I replaced the discs and pads, I was very careful to torque them up progressively. They stayed good again for ages. I had a new pair of front tyres and again, really careful torque up process, again no problems. The next time the wheels were off, I didn't get the chance to torque up and within 2000 miles, the wobbles  had started again. 

Basically, I found that as long as the fronts were always very carefully progressively torqued up, the discs stayed good.

• Like 1

Thank you Chris, that makes sense. So, do you think the damage is done? Do I need to replace the hubs or do you reckon they are salvageable? The car is due to have new tyres fitted next week so do I need to flutter my eyelashes at the mechanic and ask him to be gentle? 😉

So I'm assuming if the hubs can be salvaged I can get away with fitting EBC discs and pads (won't go OE again) in theory all should be well...

The hubs should be ok to reuse, I never replaced mine, be sure the mating faces are spotlessly clean when replacing the discs (as they always should be).

I doubt you'll find a mechanic who sees the logic in gently and progressively torquing up the wheel bolts in increments though! Maximum eyelash fluttering might do it 

• Thanks 1

Also, I don't think the disc supplier will make much difference. I had original equipment on both cars (both went wobbly) Femax and Apec, which would also go wobbly if not treated with the same care. I've run Apec discs in very tough situations and they seem very durable. EBC should be very good too.

• Like 1

Worth a shot... 🙂

I guess I'll just get the tyres done next week and let the garage do their thing. I may have a go at doing the discs and brakes myself (can it really be that difficult? I'm not completely inept) then torqueing up carefully and praying to every deity that it'll all be ok!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Batwoman said:

I may have a go at doing the discs and brakes myself

Go for it; the worst part is lining up the new discs with the backplates/hubs, and getting your head around putting Copaslip on the disc backing plates but not the friction surfaces.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, KenONeill said:

Go for it; the worst part is lining up the new discs with the backplates/hubs, and getting your head around putting Copaslip on the disc backing plates but not the friction surfaces.

Even better than copper slip would be Ceratec.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/pagid-ceratec-brake-lube-75ml-grease-526770250

https://mintex.com/copper-slip-vs-ceratec/?lang=en-gbr

• 1 year later...

2019 75 bhp SEL. 34k from new as 1 owner.   Haseldeyns Doncaster did a brake clean adjust in 2021 during a service and they were super sharp, and have remained so ever since. Des winks Scarborough mentioned front discs and pads should be changed soon  (June 2023) for £335. I bought Brembo discs and pads from euro car parts for <£70 and fitted them yesterday. Being only 4 years old everything came apart easily and good old fashioned mechanicals made it a doddle. Whilst the original discs had severe lipping the pads were only 35-40% worn. V,pleased I've saved £265.  

Once I saw how deep the lipping was I didn’t bother getting my micrometer out to measure, I had the parts, paid for and available so just fitted them, wife has a commute of 70 miles a day now so keep on top of everything especially safety related 

• Like 1