DSG clutch pack life

I have the Superb’s sister the Passat. It has 160,000 miles on the clock. The DSG ( DQ500) clutches are worn. What mileage are people getting out of theirs on here? Is 160k a reasonable mileage?

7 hours ago, Donweather said:

The bigger piece of the puzzle is how much of that 160k miles was stop start city traffic driving or non-stop highway driving?

Mostly town and country road driving. Rarely any city driving. No real abuse. Car is remapped to 290bhp since new. I was having no symptoms only a slightly rattling flywheel. I think the diagnostics revealed they were near the end of the adjustment travel. You think 160k is about right?

Edited by Micky 32

10 hours ago, Micky 32 said:

I have the Superb’s sister the Passat. It has 160,000 miles on the clock. The DSG ( DQ500) clutches are worn. What mileage are people getting out of theirs on here? Is 160k a reasonable mileage?

None of the mk3 Superb models come equipped with the DQ500 DSG box.

53 minutes ago, Micky 32 said:

I would have thought the 280’s came with it? 

280 came with DQ250 (DSG-6 wet).

The later 272 comes with the newer DQ380/381.

I think the Kodiaq RS Bi-turbo diesel came with the DQ500.

Edited by JR RS

2 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

A few questions.

What makes you think its a DQ500 gearbox?

And how do you know the clutches are worn?

All 2.0 BiTDi 240 passats are fitted with the DQ500 gearbox. The VW dealer claimed they needed replacing through diagnostic .

54 minutes ago, Micky 32 said:

All 2.0 BiTDi 240 passats are fitted with the DQ500 gearbox. The VW dealer claimed they needed replacing through diagnostic .

Ah sorry didnt realise it was a passat, assumed a superb

My VW CC 2.0 TDi 170 BHP (mapped for the last 6 years to 210ish BHP) with the DQ250 gearbox is on 250K miles and still on the original clutch pack.  I had the DMF changed approx. 4 years ago by an Indy garage.  I asked them at the time about changing the clutch pack (since the gearbox would be out anyway) and they said they have never had to change one.  What they can go is through the coding increase the pressure applied to the plates so they grip better.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MunsterScot said:

My VW CC 2.0 TDi 170 BHP (mapped for the last 6 years to 210ish BHP) with the DQ250 gearbox is on 250K miles and still on the original clutch pack.  I had the DMF changed approx. 4 years ago by an Indy garage.  I asked them at the time about changing the clutch pack (since the gearbox would be out anyway) and they said they have never had to change one.  What they can go is through the coding increase the pressure applied to the plates so they grip better.

Do you do a lot of motorway driving?  That’s 90k more than i have done. Hmmm thinking it’s a bit low  now considering i have the same unit ( apart from different diesel vs petrol ratios) as the RS3 and TTRS.

Maybe the car being 4wd could be  harder on the clutches.

Edited by Micky 32

7 hours ago, Micky 32 said:

Do you do a lot of motorway driving?  That’s 90k more than i have done. Hmmm thinking it’s a bit low  now considering i have the same unit ( apart from different diesel vs petrol ratios) as the RS3 and TTRS.

Maybe the car being 4wd could be  harder on the clutches.

Mainly main roads and motorway.   

• 5 months later...