Dual mass flywheel replacement main dealer quote...

I'd get another quote!  Although I found my main dealer to be generally good (Hull) I moved to an independent when my car was 6 years old and started needing things like brakes replaced as the cost difference was significant. 

• Like 1

I had similar job done recently, 1.6TDI with DSG, but non-4x4. 2.0 should be in the same range. 

Labour was 200€, but in addition to flywheel change this cost contained also EGR and thermostat change. 

LUK flywheel was 325€.

So as you see, it depends on region and country where you are located. 

I’m from Estonia.

• Like 1

CR 110 4x4.

DMF plus 3 piece clutch kit €308 inc delivery, labour just cost me some more grey hairs!

• 2 weeks later...

Still £1500+ profit on an afternoons work though.

I did mine in a leasurely day never having done one before and lacking the proper facilities for supporting and removing the 68kg 4x4 transmission unit I took it very slowly, I was working in a small inspection pit and not under a ramp.

The LUK DMF and 3 piece clutch kit cost €308 delivered from a Spanish seller.

I could do one in an afternoon now but hope not to have to.

£1800 or £2700 sounds like an awful lot of money to me.

Edited by J.R.

If you are thinking of doing this yourself, on your driveway, there is a guy on You Tube, Kevin-Albert Williams (www.williamsmobileclutch.co.uk) who has posted lots of videos, showing him replacing DMF clutch kits on various makes / models of car, including many VAG cars.

All the videos showing him work are taken on customers' driveways.

With nothing more than jacks and axle stands, including some carefully chosen tools, he makes the process look relatively easy and is clearly very experienced.

Well worth checking out, but I think I would want an inspection pit and a Milwaukee Fuel Impact Driver as the minimum in terms of facilities / tools, before undertaking such a job!

Edited by Smart Pro

Yes I was inspired by his videos, there is very little speeded up or editted out parts so he really does do the job almost as quick as the videos.

I did not use an impact driver, it would not have saved much time.

I would do the job (reluctantly) on my back if I had to do it again and there were no facilities, high stands would be needed to extricate the transmission but they would be too high for working and you arms would be overextended, there is no need to actually remove the transmission from under the vehicle but working from a pit I did so for safety reasons, I dropped it onto some loading ramps placed sideways across and then had to jack one side of the car up really high to slide it out.

The safest and most progressive way of removing and reinstalling the transmission is to use ratchet straps around the engine support beam and a very trusted experienced helper to operate them while you are aligning things underneath, by the nature of the things it is safer replacing it that way than removing it but by then you will have already learned the lessons the hard way!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, J.R. said:

Still £1500+ profit on an afternoons work though.

I did mine in a leasurely day never having done one before and lacking the proper facilities for supporting and removing the 68kg 4x4 transmission unit I took it very slowly, I was working in a small inspection pit and not under a ramp.

The LUK DMF and 3 piece clutch kit cost €308 delivered from a Spanish seller.

I could do one in an afternoon now but hope not to have to.

£1800 or £2700 sounds like an awful lot of money to me.

Unfortunately I have neither the skills or equipment to take this on, so DIY isn't an option.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Right then, I've got my car back...& my current account is £1,946 lighter!

Opted not to go the main dealer route surprisingly & went with a very well regarded local independent...I also have an old Audi which they look after, so this day was always coming.

Flywheel came in around £1,100.

Clutch was not replaced. Garage seemed to think these are very robust & it was showing no signs of failing, so it's been left for now.

EGR valve was though. This had left me stranded a few weeks ago. The RAC guy that got me going also wiped out the codes, so no error could be found or replicated at the time.

A slow start issue was identified a carbon build up, so the the throttle body was removed & cleaned...they mentioned something about putting this in backwards?

...& an irritating rattle turned out to be a broken air duct.

Now driving lovely again. Could do with no more expenditure for a while!

On 25/11/2022 at 17:55, Wildmoose said:

...£2,700.

CR140 DSG 4x4, 11 years old, 150k.

Full Skoda history...for now.

Love my car...almost 8 years & 120k in my ownership...but this is going to sting.

If your car has a DSG gearbox it's going to have a torque converter not a dual mass flywheel and clutch.

2 hours ago, Derbyshirebod said:

If your car has a DSG gearbox it's going to have a torque converter not a dual mass flywheel and clutch.

Pretty sure it's the other way around. The Audi is an old shool auto & that's got a torque converter.

3 hours ago, Derbyshirebod said:

I had missed that it was a DSG vehicle, they do indeed have a dual mass flywheel but no traditional plate clutch, instead each of the twin layshafts in the gearbox have an individual wet clutch, the next gear is preselected and a gearchange is effected by disengaging the clutch on the layshaft of the gear currently engaged while simultaneously engaging the other one for the next gear.

Does anyone know if the DSG uses a different DMF and if it is a lot more expensive as the cost of this repair still seems very expensive.

Also the incremental cost of £800 ish for the EGR replacement is very strong considering that once the gearbox is removed for the DMF (already charged for) there is very little labour to change the EGR.

@Wildmoose The thing they reversed while cleaning the throttle valve & intake tract was the venturi tube for the EGR gases, this should reduce future carbon build up.

I too have a rattle but working alone could not rev the engine from under the bonnet to trace it, my pal listened while I raised the revs from the drivers seat and said that my intake duct was rattling, I must attend to it to see if it was the noise I had while driving, it was at about 1500 rpm.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Does anyone know if the DSG uses a different DMF and if it is a lot more expensive as the cost of this repair still seems very expensive.

I've just been googling and the DSG gearbox DMF's are different to a conventional clutch & DMF.

image.png.3e11a99ceb2aa119a3c83f2987a98913.png

image.png.4c82d5001c5c1f9c1bf3fbcce4422813.png

My interest in all this being that my youngest son has just bought a 2007 2.0 TDI A3 with a DSG gearbox  which he's having problems with when selecting reverse.

My car has a DSG and I had the flywheel replaced early this year. DMF replacement was around €800 parts and labour, and I spent another €200 odd to have the rear main oil seal replaced while everything was out.

A word of caution on leaving the clutch alone on manual cars - some clutches used on the 2.0 TDI have had major issues with fingers breaking off the pressure plate and causing damage inside the bell housing. In the worst cases they have worn through the gearbox casing and caused it to lose all its oil.