Rear Tyres Have Stepped Wear

With Mk2 Fabia i would put in a matching 17" Wheel and tyre to those on the car and not care about the alloy's as i had so many that were replaced under warranties.

If i was going places during festive break periods there would be a pair in the boot of 'All Weather / winter tyres' not Summer / All Season summer bias. 

Simply because you never know when the weather can change in a few miles from one region to the next let alone a week or so.

(Trolley jack as well, wheel brace etc. Also Snow Socks, that can help others maybe get moving and not blocking the road.)

Wheels and tyres secured in an not just chucked in obviously....post-86161-0-58645700-1451813005.jpg.3af130193383a637fd771f413e9558f8.jpg.c1458ac1b7b44617edda85e703c987f7.thumb.jpg.4cc58bee01fa2e1a8de20ee0a4b1b100.jpg

post-86161-0-71052100-1451813026.jpg.b6bafcb2307af0296069da51461be49c.jpg

post-86161-0-58645700-1451813005.jpg.3af130193383a637fd771f413e9558f8.jpg.c1458ac1b7b44617edda85e703c987f7.jpg

DSCN1295.JPG.55afb928121bce305f20eb471472631a.jpeg

DSCN3136.JPG.88cc411f936ee4ebffd08884229a87c6.JPG.cb5bc46aa51792465da7ddcc0855071f.jpeg

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, toot said:

@J.R.   I think you and all of us know that for a long time now the OE fitment which is tyres for All Year / All Season on passenger cars are referred to as 'Summer Tyres' pretty much by the English Speakers.

No actually, I had never heard the term used until fairly recently, allowing for my distortion of the space/time continuem say in the last 5 years and then only on probably this forum.

But, and perhaps it's relevant, I have not lived in an English speaking environment since 2003.

Before moving to France I had never known nor heard of anybody changing their tyres for winter, in Picardie we had only 2 really heavy snowfalls but the infrastructure was such that if you were stranded say 5 miles from your town and 10 miles from the next you could well die of hypothermia waiting for assistance, I once spent the night in the car after doing under ice scuba diving, I had forgotten my neoprene diving boots so had to dive in the hiking boots and socks I was wearing, so my feet were soaking and freezing even before running out of diesel and spending the night at minus 5°c.

Despite that the only person that I knew who fitted wither wheels and tyres was a friend who is a very nervous and jerky poor driver, I was passenger with her in the snow and she was very dangerous, her husband was wise to get the winter wheels & tyres and as she worked at theLycée pro that I did she could get them swopped over by the apprentices in the workshop.

Where I am now I have fitted winter tyres but have not noticed other people doing so, my friend has all season tyres  because they have a getaway apartment in the Pyrenees and its a requirement to have either them or snow chains for certain months there, generally people just dont drive unless absolutely necessary during snow and icy conditions, the sensible ones that is.

@J.R.  That is lovely.    It is nice when life is simple.

So people tend to use descriptions for products. 

Some people know about seasons, their area, cars, tyres, driving in different conditions and language and terms as they are changing through the years.

When i was young and where i lived Firestone Town & Country Tyres went on vehicles for winters. Bags on sand went in the boot, That was in the 1960's.

Chains were carried in vehicles and lorry drivers carried molasses, salt, sand etc with them.

That was in the North East of Scotland.

Lots of Lorries & goods around, Fish so salt, distilleries and cattle so molasses. It was painted onto the tyres if sliding on ice or poured on the road.

Sometimes alcohol was put on the ice and set alight.

http://www.driving.co.uk/news/news-councils-to-spread-treacle-on-winter-roads-to-combat-ice

*I hope there was not too much spent on researching something that had been done for decades. Since the First WW even and then in WW2*

People go to buy tyres they might be asked what size, for what car, maybe even what type of tyre,  what size what type. 

Same if you go to buy a bike, or tyres for a bike.  They will ask if you say a mountain bike what type, what are you using it or the tyres for.

Go to a pet shop and ask for a dog, they will ask what type you want. 

Weatherise treads.

Screenshot 2022-12-10 18.00.49.jpg

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

At a very simplified level

Summer - Tyres that have big bands of rubber and few blocks. Harder rubber but sticky and still with good wear rate at higher temperatures 

Winter - Softer rubber, blocks, sipes 

All season - blocks , slightly softer rubber sometimes 

Nordic winters - Very much optimised winters, often studable or studded.

Edit:

Worth adding 20-30 years ago standard tyres were blocky and would get you home in a light dusting of snow. Modern “summer” tyres have been optimised for warm grub, shedding water, economy/rolling resistance and noise . Hence they are no longer made of many individual blocks of rubber but the bands we see. These bands have no grip on slush etc.

Edited by cheezemonkhai
  • Like 1

Just come back from shopping via Zig Zag hill in the snow.

But I had my secret weapon fitted, some Three Peak Mountain Snowflake Marked tyres.

Swapped / Fitted them again back in November from the Summers.

The car struggles when the snow is more than 4 inches deep. 😲  ( not today )

Thanks. AG Falco

• Like 1

On 10/12/2022 at 08:28, SurreyJohn said:

Not sure if your spare wheel is same size, but if that also has a 6 year old tyre, then might be worth getting the best of front tyres put on that.

The car didn't come with a spare (just an inflation kit) so I bought a space saver brand new last year.

Just pressed my finger into the side wall of the rears and they have a bit of give in them, certainly as much as the fronts which have a DOT code of 2321, which would probably mean the fronts were replaced by the dealer shortly before I bought the car.

On 10/12/2022 at 17:49, toot said:

@J.R.  That is lovely.    It is nice when life is simple.

So people tend to use descriptions for products. 

Some people know about seasons, their area, cars, tyres, driving in different conditions and language and terms as they are changing through the years.

When i was young and where i lived Firestone Town & Country Tyres went on vehicles for winters. Bags on sand went in the boot, That was in the 1960's.

Chains were carried in vehicles and lorry drivers carried molasses, salt, sand etc with them.

That was in the North East of Scotland.

Lots of Lorries & goods around, Fish so salt, distilleries and cattle so molasses. It was painted onto the tyres if sliding on ice or poured on the road.

Sometimes alcohol was put on the ice and set alight.

http://www.driving.co.uk/news/news-councils-to-spread-treacle-on-winter-roads-to-combat-ice

*I hope there was not too much spent on researching something that had been done for decades. Since the First WW even and then in WW2*

People go to buy tyres they might be asked what size, for what car, maybe even what type of tyre,  what size what type. 

Same if you go to buy a bike, or tyres for a bike.  They will ask if you say a mountain bike what type, what are you using it or the tyres for.

Go to a pet shop and ask for a dog, they will ask what type you want. 

Weatherise treads.

Screenshot 2022-12-10 18.00.49.jpg

Hi Toot, I remember them (used em too) Dunlop SP44s were a lot better.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 0094994 said:

Just pressed my finger into the side wall of the rears and they have a bit of give in them, certainly as much as the fronts which have a DOT code of 2321, which would probably mean the fronts were replaced by the dealer shortly before I bought the car.

Could I ask what tyres they are?

Brand/model primarily as I don’t see this information. Obviously tread depth is important but a 7mm ditch finder special isn’t worth keeping.

On 10/12/2022 at 13:46, nta16 said:

Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.

The full sized spare tyre should be used but it would be best if it matches the tyre on the other side.  I think it's a total waste to have a full sized tyre sitting unused in the boot for 6 years, if you rotate its use with the other four you even overall wear of the tyres and stand more chance that the spare tyre is the same make/model and (nearer) wear as the other four, depending on how and when you change tyres.

For decades I didn't carry a spare in many of my cars, just a manual foot pump and a reliable pressure gauge, this seemed to scare and offend some which made me wonder how well they looked after their cars and treated their wheels and tyres, perhaps running them to the very last fraction of a millimetre to the legal limit.  But as always each to their own and different strokes for different folks.

Personally I have always been able to run on "summer" tyres but that is my choice I am aware of the effects of ambient and road temperatures on them and generally drive where extremes are not that frequent so again different strokes for different folks and each to their own.

The “full size spare” if fitted is not usually the same size as the other 4 tyres so as you say wasteful but can’t swap this in easily to even out wear.

Beware as both my summer and winter tyres are directionally marke so can only be swapped front to rear , not diagonally.

• Like 1