Rear Tyres Have Stepped Wear

Hi,

Took my 2016 Fabia Mk III Estate in for it's first service and MOT since buying it last December yesterday.

Sailed through the MOT but they told me both rear tyres had stepped wear and recommended replacement in the near future.  Both tyres have a good 4mm or so depth on them so they do have a bit of life left.  I had noticed that the worn bearing like rumble before I took it in but didn't mention it when taking it in.

Aside from having let the pressures get a little low for a few weeks earlier in the year, there's been nothing that should have caused this IMO.

I'm currently driving around 100-200 miles a week, mostly motorway miles but a decent amount of country roads too.  My main failing as a driver is harsh acceleration, but other than that, I'm relatively sensible and conservative. The car went through 44k last week and the rear tyres are very possibly the original ones that came with the car.

The dealer told me it's a common feature of tyre wear on Skoda/VW cars and while they did put a tyre quote (bloody expensive compared to my regular tyre fitter) on the service report, they didn't actively try and sell me on new tyres which gave me the impression that they were nothing to worry about or that it was maybe just close to closing and they couldn't be bothered to fit them.

Is this something to just accept and make sure that I'm more on top of the pressures in future or should I be getting my alignment checked or changing my driving style?

Just now, KenONeill said:

Not sure I understand this; I've never heard the term before. Any chance of some photos?

That's what they said at the service reception and have written on the report.

I don't have photos of the tyres, but from a little limited Googling, the term 'Saw Tooth Wear' is interchangeable with 'Stepped Wear'.

The description is that the tyre edges have uneven wear on the tread blocks.  The front of each block wearing differently to the back (heel/toe) etc.

From a naked eye point of view, it's difficult to even see an issue.  I'm yet to go under the car and have a feel around.

7 minutes ago, 0094994 said:

'Saw Tooth Wear'

Ah, that makes sense. Run your hand both ways around the circumference and you should feel the saw-tooth edges. If so, swap the tyres front and rear on the same side of the car (LF to LR and vice versa).

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, 0094994 said:

worn bearing like rumble

Have you got the 16 or 17 inch tyres / wheels?

It happens on the inside edge of the rear tyres.

The leading edge is higher than the trailing edge of the tread blocks.

If you swap the rear tyres from side to side you will be going up the saw tooth edge.

This can make the worn bearing like rumble go.

Long term rotate your tyres and always fit new tyres to the rear.

If the fronts are the worn pair then move the rears diagonally to the front.

Thanks, AG Falco

• Like 3

Thanks. I'm running the 16 inch wheels.

Will moving the worn ones to the front have any impact on the handling?

I'm guessing there's not much I can do beyond tyre rotation to prevent it happening again?

Edited by 0094994

10 minutes ago, 0094994 said:

Will moving the worn ones to the front have any impact on the handling?

Move diagonally forwards.

Suck it and see.

What is the DOT code of the rear ( Bridgestone? ) tyres?

Thanks. AG Falco

12 minutes ago, 0094994 said:

I'm guessing there's not much I can do beyond tyre rotation to prevent it happening again?

Running the higher full load / high speed tyre pressures will also help.

Thanks. AG Falco

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AGFalco said:

Move diagonally forwards.

Suck it and see.

What is the DOT code of the rear ( Bridgestone? ) tyres?

Thanks. AG Falco

Weirdly the left hand side doesn't have a month/year indicator but the right hand side indicates week 30 of 2016 which is the same age as the car.

Both are Dunlops and have directional arrows which looks like I won't be able to rotate diagonally.

Will keep on top of the pressures.  Cheers :)

Screenshot 2022-12-08 083216.jpg

Screenshot 2022-12-08 083155.jpg

I also just had a look at the inner treads in daylight and can visibly see the weird pattern on it now.

Looks like someone has taken an ice cream scoop to the tyre and scraped off small sections all the way around.

Do not move these ones fitted to the front, get them disposed of by your usual tyre fitter once you ask their opinion on your rather well lasted tyres that now need replaced.

Tyres are consumables and 6 years & 44,000 miles is pretty good if the OE fitment and never moved front to rear at any time. 

Have alignment checked if you want but there is no adjustment to do at the rear. Just maybe components wear.

New tyres needed and the correct pressures used, and if they last 6 years and 44,000 miles on the rear that is wonderful IMO.

'Saw toothing' common on Skoda Superbs.

So was it a Skoda Main Dealership employee that said common when looking at a Fabia or just commenting.

Was this a Technician a sales person or someone on the Service Desk with their pearl of wisdom?

Edited by toot

10 minutes ago, toot said:

So was it a Skoda Main Dealership employee that said common when looking at a Fabia or just commenting.

Was this a Technician a sales person or someone on the Service Desk with their pearl of wisdom?

It was the person on the Service Desk who was handing me the paperwork back when I collected the car.

11 minutes ago, toot said:

If they last 6 years and 44,000 miles on the rear that is wonderful IMO.

Totally agree that they've lasted well.  Car has one previous owner who clearly didn't drive as much as me, I've added 11k of those miles in the last 12 months.

I'm certainly going to my usual tyre fitter in the new year and will probably ask him whether it's worth going for a top of the range tyre rather than a mid/budget range option for longevity. Would be over the moon if they lasted another 6 years because I intend to upgrade to a new car well before then.

Take 10 minutes to have your tyres looked at by your fitter now.

The inside walls. 

It is winter.  It is cold weather with snow coming.

My nephew crashed his works van into a tree the other day and the Police officer was not impressed by the tyres and he will be getting points and a fine. 

Higher prices of tyres from the top Brands / Manufacturers is no real indication of quality or safety.

Your tyres must be like Hockey Pucks as far as hardness and not something i would drive on.

Eco tyres for fuel economy and what i would consider ditch finders. 

Lacking friction, so traction, so in my opinion probably grip when cornering, braking, the ESP doing its thing. 

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.

At 6 years and 44,000 the rear tyres must have been on the rear all the time.  4mm of tread is a good depth but the tyres are 6 years old and done 44,000 miles.  If you change them, once you have them passed the 100 miles run-in (200 miles if wet) and can fully use them you may well notice a difference to the tyres with 44,0000 miles on them.  Check the torque tightness of the wheel (stupid) bolts after 30-50miles.

I can't remember getting anything like a possible 40,000 miles out of tyres since the 1970s they must be like concrete.

5 hours ago, 0094994 said:

Weirdly the left hand side doesn't have a month/year indicator but the right hand side indicates week 30 of 2016 which is the same age as the car.

The date might be on the other side of the tyre.

In the photos your tyres don't look anywhere near as bad as my neighbour's 3 year old Chinese tyres but to me there's cracking.

What are your front tyres like, if they're cracked or at 3mm or below I'd change all four tyres then once you have them passed the 100 miles run-in (200 miles if wet) and can fully use them you will notice a difference to the braking, road holding, handling and probably comfort and noise, tyres are a much underrated important component on vehicles.  Check the torque tightness of the wheel (bl**dy stupid) bolts after 30-50miles. 😁

Edited by nta16

30 minutes ago, nta16 said:

What are your front tyres like, if they're cracked or at 3mm or below

Came back as 5mm tread depth on the service report, visually I'd say that's about right.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 0094994 said:

Weirdly the left hand side doesn't have a month/year indicator

The full DOT code is only on one side of the tyre, so it will be on the inside of the other one.

Thanks. AG Falco

I’d have a look at getting some upper mid range all season tyres on all 4 wheels or if you can stretch to the Goodyear/continental/Michelin all seasons.

I suggest this as it sounds like they’re all a bit EOL. Unless you’re racing around in the sunny days then you won’t notice any difference in summer but will benefit in cold/snow.

• Like 3

On 08/12/2022 at 14:16, 0094994 said:

Came back as 5mm tread depth on the service report, visually I'd say that's about right.

5mm for fronts then they're probably not that old but it doesn't pay to assume on things like this, have a look for the date of manufacture on them.  That doesn't always directly related to when they were fitted of course and tread depth is only one element and the tyres could have had a hard life bumping up and down kerbs, humps potholes.

Personally if they're similar to the concrete rears I'd swap out for a new set of four better tyres especially if I was doing a couple miles of motorway a week, but that's just me.

Edited by nta16
spelling
  • Like 2

The rubber on those rears must be almost solid, especially at current temperatures (it is -6c here as I write this), try prodding it with end of your finger, it will be solid, if you were in a car park and repeated the prod test on someone’s all season would feel a bit of give.

I too would suggest getting all seasons, especially if you regularly drive on fast salted roads (summer tyres are often poor at braking in cold on damp road, and salt makes road damp)

Not sure if your spare wheel is same size, but if that also has a 6 year old tyre, then might be worth getting the best of front tyres put on that (assuming they are not original).

• Like 1

Personally,

I have no concerns using an over 6 year old spare / emergency tyres that have been stored in a spare tyre well in the dark and inflated and subjected to maybe -12*oC in there or 40*oC but never in the sun, salt or roads with petrochemicals. 

But they certainly spares need inspected,

and maybe some will want to pay someone to take it off and scrap it and put on a used tyre. 

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

There is and never has been such a thing as "Summer Tyres", the phrase was coined by the manufacturers to try and persuade people in warm climates to buy their "Winter Tyres" when they rebranded them from M & S (mud & snow) tyres. Well meaning people now do their dirty work for them on social media.

The tyre manufacturers have been lobbying governments for decades to try and make the change obligatory, you would not believe the misinformation and downright lies put out in my country by a media that does not seem capable of asking themselves, am I being had over here, am I propogating untruths?

I changed to my new winter wheels this very week, the ones I had bought before in Kent, an urban area that has little or no need of them were absolutely lethal, absolute ditchfinders, I had more grip racing a Caterham during a cold November deluge on slicks.

• Haha 1

Actual road temperature is an important factor - the compound on winter tyres (Alpine, 3-peaks/M&S) is markedly softer than normal - or even all-season (cross-climate) tyres and definitely give better grip in cold conditions. There are very good, independent tyre tests that consistently support this.   

Edited by Warrior193
added note.
  • Like 3

The full sized spare tyre should be used but it would be best if it matches the tyre on the other side.  I think it's a total waste to have a full sized tyre sitting unused in the boot for 6 years, if you rotate its use with the other four you even overall wear of the tyres and stand more chance that the spare tyre is the same make/model and (nearer) wear as the other four, depending on how and when you change tyres.

For decades I didn't carry a spare in many of my cars, just a manual foot pump and a reliable pressure gauge, this seemed to scare and offend some which made me wonder how well they looked after their cars and treated their wheels and tyres, perhaps running them to the very last fraction of a millimetre to the legal limit.  But as always each to their own and different strokes for different folks.

Personally I have always been able to run on "summer" tyres but that is my choice I am aware of the effects of ambient and road temperatures on them and generally drive where extremes are not that frequent so again different strokes for different folks and each to their own.

• Like 1

These were the first Winter tyres i started buying for my cars about 1981 after usually using Winter Remoulds. Stirling Winter Remoulds.

http://vredestein.co.uk/heritage-legacy

Volvo 343 CVT's so rwd, then Fiat 132,s, Strada auto's so FWD, then various Renault Savannah Estate Auto, Citroen's etc.. 

The Strada did many trips to the skiiing on the Vredesteins.  It was my favourite FWD car for many years other than Mini's.

http://classicsworld.co.uk/cars/fiat-strada-road-test

@J.R.   I think you and all of us know that for a long time now the OE fitment which is tyres for All Year / All Season on passenger cars are referred to as 'Summer Tyres' pretty much by the English Speakers.

They are called 'All Season' as well even if not suited to all Seasons, or All Weathers, or all countries Springs, Summer, Autumn or Winters.

Then there is American English, or English in any country.

VW, Audi, Skoda, SEAT.  German, Czech, Spanish, English and they get their All Seasons all in a twist. 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/423163-are-all-weather-tyres-winter-legal-in-eu

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/440953-factory-fit-all-season-tyres

@nta16

As to matching 'Spare Wheels / Tyres' to suit the 4 on the car.  That is great, but if someone buys a car and it has a Space Saver, or a Saving Space wheel and tyre, usually a steel wheel then some might ditch that and buy another and some might leave it where it is until they get rid of that car.  Some even take it thinking it will suit their next car.

Maybe not even their car, just leased / rented for a few years and going back as getting swapped for another.

Edited by toot

toot, I'm not a fan of space savers especially as most (all?) cars now have oversized wheels and tyres so often the spacer saver tyre is so narrow compared to the standard wheels I think often they're barely suitable to get you to the next place of safety let alone home or as some do use them for a lot longer after fitting.

I would remove a space saver from a boot as the extra room in the boots I had was of much more use that a tyre to get me a short distance and removing it and the wheel changing kit also saved a bit of weight for me to have a bigger snack.

Many years back now I sold a 25 year old unused spare wheel and tyre once and latter the person bought the car off me (and really done it up well and used and showed it).  And you have reminded me I still have a, full sized, spare in the shed, 3.5" steel wheel with a very good 145/80 r13 tyre, must get shot of that.

I had a Mk2 MX-5 when they were new, the 1.6 so only about 100hp that had a space saver that I fitted and even on the front just driving normally through town at 30mph and less I could feel the difference on breaking and I had the standard steel wheels on that (the only MX-5 the Dealership had ever seen remain on its steel wheels, that rusted first winter but had a 3-year warranty so I didn't care) and normally sized tyres.  The tyres were Yoko and too good for fun so I swapped them (in the days when I could afford to do such) for tyres with less dry grip but more wet grip.

You might like this, forget the editing of facts, I don't know if the spare wheel was put on this or remained on the Laser, the car was in much better condition than when I passed it on and another turn of the odometer since with certainly the last I heard and saw it, before Covid, in daily use still and kept to show standard. - https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/influx/features/legend-ford-capri/