216k miles on the clock. How long will my Fabia vRS last. :)

jifster

Hi all, just a ramble mostly but I've had my vRS since new in Sept 2004 and am now up to 216,000 miles on the clock.

Over all it has been a good car and I've only had work on the steering rack and a new clutch (and a few smaller things and the usual wear and tear items of course). Oh, and the air conditioning went a few years ago. Far to expensive to get replaced on a car this age so I just have to suffer the hot, thankfully short summer heat.

Apart from the rear drivers side foot well getting wet (yet to be investigated) it's still a good drive. It's very noisy when stationary with the engine running. Sounds a bit like an old tractor.

So at 216k and serviced every year, how long is this car going to last. Anyone else with high mileage vRS of the same vintage?

Lastly, what to buy next? I'm not that keen on the Fabia's available now and have been looking at the Polo GTI, maybe 2 or 3 years old (when and if I've saved a bit more money). 

Happy Christmas to all.

Garry..

• Like 2

I don't want to be too sarcastic, but how long is a bit of string?

There's no given life on these really. It's done well this far. I say just keep looking after it and save up for when it does go bang. Reckon you could see another 50k miles out of it, but don't hold me to that.

• Like 1

Define last! If the engine goes bang you can always source another motor, as long as the shell is still solid then years. I've started doing some long overdue jobs on my VRS, rotten out backplates, brake upgrades, a sketchy brake hose and while it's off the road I've got to address some of the bubbling on the sills.

Yeah my aircon doesn't work either, steering rack is leaking (again) and the damned window winder mechanisms, meh. But overall it's been, solid, reliable & nippy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, toot said:

@jifster

There is a pretty big difference between a 2-3 year old Fabia that come only with a 3 cylinder 1.0 engine and a Polo GTI that has a 2.0 litre. 

No wonder you are after the VW & not the Skoda.

Yes, I'm just not keen on all the 1.0L engines out there now days and for 15 - 20k for a car with a 1.0L engine.... I'm sure and have been told they are nippy compared with the old 1 litres but all the same, it's so much money for a car now and we are getting less. I paid £12700 for my vRS new with quite a few extra's through a broker. I know it was now a long time ago but jeez. I had a look at new cars and by the time you have added the things that should be on there anyway it's £30k+. 😞

11 hours ago, DoctorBoostaLot said:

Define last! If the engine goes bang you can always source another motor, as long as the shell is still solid then years. I've started doing some long overdue jobs on my VRS, rotten out backplates, brake upgrades, a sketchy brake hose and while it's off the road I've got to address some of the bubbling on the sills.

Yeah my aircon doesn't work either, steering rack is leaking (again) and the damned window winder mechanisms, meh. But overall it's been, solid, reliable & nippy.

That reminds me, I forgot about state of my sills. They have got quite bad over the last couple of years. 😞

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Stewartasb said:

just under 22 years old and i can honestly say only rust i had to deal with was that known spot right below the rear number plate lights.

Ah, yeah a little there too. Not much just a little scabbing, I was reminded of it earlier when I was bleeding the brakes and looked up at the tailgate! :)

2006 model here, 71,000 miles (just a young thing in comparison, but I'm in Scotland). Little scabby on the rear end of the driver's side sill, and at the arch where the bumper meets the arch on that side too. Nothing that a wire brush and a touch of paint can't sort when it's warmer. :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Any car is just a collection of parts, replace, upgrade or if you have the room just keep it and get another jalopy to do the daily grind.

The engine has to be good for 250k plus but not the turbo, clutch , exhaust etc Saying that I'm almost up to 150K and 18 years and all original so far replaced coil springs, brake discs , radiator, front wind screen , passenger window mech and aux belts but not the cam belt thats well over due and must happen this spring summer ...... good luck with yours buddy!

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1