Should I buy a Yeti With Issues .....

Smoothrunnings

Hi All

I have an Octavia and love it.. :)

At the moment my wife has a Nissan X-Trail its been a bad buy from the off with problem after problem after problem after problem.

So we are skipping it.

Looking around on Autotrader i saw a 2010 1.8 TSi SE 4WD Yetti with 100k on the clock for £2995.

Obviously alarm bells are now ringing because of the rock bottom price.

I called them up and it does indeed have an issue with these symptoms.

The Engine always starts however the key needs to be held for longer.

There is a fault code (being sent through) relating to the crankshaft.

If the fault is cleared then (as i understand it) the key does not need to be held for longer and the engine fires as it should.

However if the fault code is cleared the engine started and the car driven then switched off, The next time you attempt to start it it will lag again.

The Cambelt \ timing belt was replaced but this has not resolved.

Any thoughts...

Kr

Paul 

Edited by Smoothrunnings

Ha simple not a lot left to spend on a car now after continually trying to keep my wifes X-Trail road worthy.

I'm just looking and checking out a potential bargain TBH. 

Based on the pics there is a raft of dealer service stamps I'm not sure if I'm correct but these days millage isn't a biggie as a well maintained engine will keep ticking until you get bored with the car.

Plus my missus is only going to be doing really local drives with the occasional trip to my parents which is a bit more of a haul.

Re the actual fault code as yet i don't have that.

I have done a little digging (and I'm no mechanic) but it COULD be the Camshaft Sensor itself {or i suppose the actual Crankshaft]}....

Kr

Paul

• john999boy changed the title to Should I buy a Yeti With Issues .....

If you look harder like at the Pinned thread on 1.8 & 2.0 TSI,s in the Octavia Mk2 section and maybe the Yeti 1.8 TSI's in this section with issues you will not take part in the lottery of a 1.8TSI unless you can rebuild engines.

Overblown on the internet as people say, well not with Euro 5 1.8TSI's as fitted by Skoda. 

What service history is there with the car?

When was the Haldex last serviced or how often since 2010.

What about the spark plugs last replaced.

Brake Fluid changed etc. 

922218293_Screenshot2022-09-2115_58_57.jpg.3711dc86397a804fc83f268add4ae736.jpg

Capture.JPG.d4b3472c9719ddab217821602b0a27a5.jpeg.45cadeaf036a2c68451c80af540d363a.jpeg.8e5fb43cfc105872654a97dc3052c66c.jpeg

52024536_1221833257_Screenshot2020-10-03at13_19_19.jpg.c743b2191e0cb186e97d46c7df84c5cf.jpg.13ba07661c3c8cb4ea7010a9dfafa032(1).jpg.e00b14b966fa424e82d73c19be972a46.jpg

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Smoothrunnings said:

Based on the pics there is a raft of dealer service stamps I'm not sure if I'm correct but these days millage isn't a biggie as a well maintained engine will keep ticking until you get bored with the car.

Kr

Paul

Thing is, the 1.8 tsi engine is a lemon and plagued with faults and simply won’t keep ticking till you get bored with the car.

This is well worth a read…

• Like 2

Guys 

Many many thanks.

If there are many known intrinsic issues with the lump itself ive already put my shoes on and am walking down the road..   :)

As ever BRSKODA comes up trumps..

Thanks all the hunt for a replacement and reliable motor goes on

• Like 2

Hi

To answer the direct question about the starting issue,  there is likely to be both a crankshaft position sensor and a camshaft position sensor.  If the ECU doesn't get a sensible signal from the crank sensor the engine won't start.  Some engines can run (possibly in limp mode) without a sensible signal from the camshaft position sensor.  The fault codes will pinpoint which sensor is at fault.  Sometimes the sensor is OK but its alignment is off, a millimetre or so can make a difference. These sensors aren't overly expensive.

However:

VAG must have produced thousands and thousands of 1.8 20 Valve EA113 Turbo engines in the late '90s for the likes of the Audi A3 and the Audi TT, with powers from 150 HP  all the way up to 240 HP.  They were very successful and have a reputation for strength and high mileage reliability.

Presumably to meet ever-tightening emissions standards, VAG produced a completely new design of 1.8 TSi engine (Type EA888 Generation 1) from 2007 onwards, which was revised in 2009 (Gen 2) and fitted to the Yeti.  Unfortunately this turned out to be a step backwards in reliability, and the Yeti 1.8 TSi engine has a reputation for consuming large amounts of oil due to piston/ring issues, which is a much more serious proposition than replacing a sensor or two.  It seems to be pot luck whether the engine suffers or not.  In 2011 the design was revised again (Gen 3), I don't know how successful this was at solving the oil problem.  The car you are looking at likely has the Gen 2 engine.

• Like 3

I'm not very technical but have been on this forum since 2013 and over the years the people that really seemed to know what they were talking about seemed agreed that when you got a good one the 1.8tsi was a great car but the bad ones......... you needed deep pockets. And for the number of cars in that spec there seemed to be a higher proportion in that spec than in the other specs. If memory serves me right they also had a reputation for being very thirsty, which is something to consider these days.  

It may not suit your wife's needs but keep an open mind on even the 1.2 tsi. Mine has been reliable and economical (regular 40mpg with mainly short runs) and if the four wheel drive is the issue I can only say those members who remember MarieK will recall her living on Skye with her 1.2tsi and, fitted with decent winter tyres, never regretting not having opted for a 4x4 Yeti even in the snow. 

Good luck with the search.

• Like 1