New purchase - SOS issue again

Hi all

I have just a bought a 2021 Skoda Superb Estate Sportline from a main dealer c. 10k miles.  I really like the car especially the space but on my drive home around the M25 the SOS system failed and so did the mobile phone connectivity. I’ve driven it a couple of times since and whilst the problem had cleared itself, the same thing has happened twice more.

I have reported this in writing to the dealer who has advised to get a software update from any main dealer there are several closer to me). They also said they don’t have any way of knowing which cars will suffer this issue so couldn’t have known about it and fixed it in advance. I am a bit skeptical of 3DA766D7-83B5-4A25-B554-EA942C17DACB.thumb.jpeg.5d658fb28e1f673892774248df4133e0.jpegif this but I am thinking best to remain on good terms in the first instance.

I guess I will go and try and get the software update but I am concerned this may not fix the issue (E550D113-7028-4544-88F0-25D2007DA3C3.thumb.jpeg.dde93cbcc8061f02f681a22924fbf6bf.jpeghaving now read up about it on this site) and if it doesn’t I guess I will have to try and reject the car. Otherwise the car seems to be ok although the keyless entry system seems temperamental. Possibly this will be resolved by replacing the key fob batteries. 

I am still within 30 days at the moment. I would be grateful for any thoughts or advice. many thanks. 

A very well known problem within the Volkswagen group vehicles unfortunately, some are fixed with a software update only, some need a module replacing plus updated software. If you Google your warning message you will see many reports of this, its even been in the national press https://www.theguardian.com/money/2021/may/01/vw-audi-and-skoda-owners-angry-over-fault-in-sos-warning-system

Hope you manage to get it fixed with minimal inconvenience to yourself.

https://www.karoqforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=710

• Like 1

You can try to find out what software is inside the infotainment system (it won't break anything)

Hold down the Menu button for at least ten seconds to enter the hidden menu of engineering hopefully.

Look around to see if you can find "Software Train" if not glean as much information as you can and post back images.

There are often 2 or 3 intertwined systems at play, the SW update to MMI, OCU (emergency call error you are seeing) and for some VC (virtual cockpit)

You cannot just update one, you often then see errors in the other, but for sure the OCU unit has many updates for it, as they are terrible for spitting out errors.

On 02/01/2023 at 15:24, smithler1981 said:

Hi all

I have just a bought a 2021 Skoda Superb Estate Sportline from a main dealer c. 10k miles.  I really like the car especially the space but on my drive home around the M25 the SOS system failed and so did the mobile phone connectivity. I’ve driven it a couple of times since and whilst the problem had cleared itself, the same thing has happened twice more.

I have reported this in writing to the dealer who has advised to get a software update from any main dealer there are several closer to me). They also said they don’t have any way of knowing which cars will suffer this issue so couldn’t have known about it and fixed it in advance. I am a bit skeptical of /cdn-cgi/mirage/ccad7263a20e2bc8b0edc6008a3d46239ac97d65c7afeec61c7faf2de9b660e4/1280/https://www.briskoda.net/forums/uploads/monthly_2023_01/3DA766D7-83B5-4A25-B554-EA942C17DACB.thumb.jpeg.5d658fb28e1f673892774248df4133e0.jpegif this but I am thinking best to remain on good terms in the first instance.

I guess I will go and try and get the software update but I am concerned this may not fix the issue (/cdn-cgi/mirage/ccad7263a20e2bc8b0edc6008a3d46239ac97d65c7afeec61c7faf2de9b660e4/1280/https://www.briskoda.net/forums/uploads/monthly_2023_01/E550D113-7028-4544-88F0-25D2007DA3C3.thumb.jpeg.dde93cbcc8061f02f681a22924fbf6bf.jpeghaving now read up about it on this site) and if it doesn’t I guess I will have to try and reject the car. Otherwise the car seems to be ok although the keyless entry system seems temperamental. Possibly this will be resolved by replacing the key fob batteries. 

I am still within 30 days at the moment. I would be grateful for any thoughts or advice. many thanks. 

My Superb is 2021 and I had this start popping up after a year of ownership, which suggests the fault was introduced through an update during that time.

The dealer knew all about a software update being required to fix it. Software update was done, several months down the line it hasn't recurred.

Get the update done!

Bought my march 21 model in sept 21 and it flagged it on the drive back from Exeter to London. Entertainment software update fixed it. Big update - needs booking in for a few hours but yep the dealer said if it doesn’t work you may need some new hardware too. Def a warranty thing and absolutely should be dealt with by the dealer happily. 
Ours also fixed the gps going nuts and profile not loading. Fingers crossed for you. 

• Like 1

May or may not be of an help to anyone but my 2023MY Superb is on:

Device no: 3V0035820K

Hardware: H22

Software: 0306

Nav: 22.12

Not sure how relevant the above is but you may want to ask your dealer should you be running the above hardware & software.

There will may be further hardware involved such as the eSim unit, aerial etc.

I've had my car from new 3 months ago and so far in the 8k miles it's worked (almost) fine.

Only issue I'm having is it doesn't always receive the destinations I send it from the Skoda app which I'm still in discussion with Skoda trying to sort it.

Same fault on my 2021 Sportline Mk111 facelift. Fixed with a software and hardware update, by supplying dealer under threat of rejection. Worked for me

If you're playing the 30 day card I would insist that the SUPPLYING DEALER fix the car or they can have it back. You want a motivated repair done now, not in somebodies else's service queue

Also they can't then say, not our fault we didn't repair it, you didn't bring it back to us etc etc 

Hope it gets fixed and you keep the car, let us know how it goes

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, cnc said:

Only issue I'm having is it doesn't always receive the destinations I send it from the Skoda app which I'm still in discussion with Skoda trying to sort it.

99 times out of 100 the head unit will either never receive the destination, or it will appear after a lengthy time, sometimes after 15 minutes, sometimes on a journey days later.

I've long stopped bothering with trying to send destinations.

For what it's worth though, I tried researching this after I'd gotten the car and the Skoda websites are an absolute mishmash of redirects and contradictions and it was quite difficult to get a straight answer on this, however.....my understanding is that feature isn't available (as per the supposed procedure)  in at least the UK. According to the procedure for this, the head unit is supposed to have a menh function you enter into in order to receive and save the destination, only there is no such function within the menus anywhere. Meanwhile the app offers the functionality, even though the car doesn't. 

The car will, at random, sometimes tell you there is a new destination and ask if you want to save it. It usually never appears though. My point is you are supposed to be able to navigate through the menu and find the new destination to save it, only no such section in the menu exists to do this.

Please update me if you get anywhere on this however!

Edited by Gax

9 hours ago, mike21sport said:

Same fault on my 2021 Sportline Mk111 facelift. Fixed with a software and hardware update, by supplying dealer under threat of rejection. Worked for me

If you're playing the 30 day card I would insist that the SUPPLYING DEALER fix the car or they can have it back. You want a motivated repair done now, not in somebodies else's service queue

Also they can't then say, not our fault we didn't repair it, you didn't bring it back to us etc etc 

Hope it gets fixed and you keep the car, let us know how it goes

My 2020 Superb iv is going back into the dealer for a second time now for the sos error. Was originally fixed with a software update. It's come back now but is constantly on and the SOS led light by the rear view mirror is always red. Not sure if software update will fix this or if its a hardware issue this time. 

14 minutes ago, techsearchuk said:

My 2020 Superb iv is going back into the dealer for a second time now for the sos error. Was originally fixed with a software update. It's come back now but is constantly on and the SOS led light by the rear view mirror is always red. Not sure if software update will fix this or if its a hardware issue this time. 

If your main 12V battery is low, then the light on the SOS will most likely be solid red.  The fix is to put the main battery on change for a minimum of 2hrs, as this is what charges the battery in the OCU.

If the SOS light is flashing red, usually means lost Comms, and the fix is pull fuse for 10mins, insert and drive 200m.

Take the advice as rough guidance, as stored fault codes affect the advice, which I don't know what's stored in your car.

1 minute ago, varooom said:

If your main 12V battery is low, then the light on the SOS will most likely be solid red.  The fix is to put the main battery on change for a minimum of 2hrs, as this is what charges the battery in the OCU.

If the SOS light is flashing red, usually means lost Comms, and the fix is pull fuse for 10mins, insert and drive 200m.

Take the advice as rough guidance, as stored fault codes affect the advice, which I don't know what's stored in your car.

That's really useful to know thank you. The car is still under warranty and booked in for service next week so will leave this one to the dealer. My SOS light is solid red, would that alter the above advice? 

5 minutes ago, techsearchuk said:

That's really useful to know thank you. The car is still under warranty and booked in for service next week so will leave this one to the dealer. My SOS light is solid red, would that alter the above advice? 

If you have a charger then you could do a test yourself by attaching it for 2hrs or leaving for a full charge cycle (never hurt on these Mk IV's)

A dealer can interrogate the Voltage inside with diagnostic equipment iirc, or check of course for fault codes.

EDIT:

Customer Statement

The SOS LED warning light on the headliner button panel lights red.

Screenshot_2023-01-06-09-45-06-772_com.google.android_apps.pdfviewer.thumb.jpg.a488606a5ef2b05a5ca23289b85facde.jpg

Edited by varooom

1 hour ago, Gax said:

99 times out of 100 the head unit will either never receive the destination, or it will appear after a lengthy time, sometimes after 15 minutes, sometimes on a journey days later.

Please update me if you get anywhere on this however!

Exactly the same problem for me. When it works it's great, it just doesn't work very often.

If I get anywhere with Skoda towards fixing this I'll let you know.

• Like 1

Hi I am the OP (although using a different account for reason I won't bore you with). Thanks all for the replies.

I am dropping the car at the supplying dealer tomorrow for its software update. It should be ready early next week.

I am going to make it clear that it is my preference for the dealer to repair the car but if the the fix is not sucessful I may look to reject the car. It does seem that there is a mixed experience with some cars being fixed easily and others having ongoing issues.

I was told by the dealer that the car could not be rejected because of a software issue so no doubt I would have a dispute on my hands if I choose to do that. I am hopeful the software update will fix it but if not I really don't see why I should put up with this problem when I have just spent over £30k. After all my 2016 Audi A3 which I am in the process of selling has never put a foot wrong.

I'll let you know what happens with it.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, smithler2023 said:

Hi I am the OP (although using a different account for reason I won't bore you with). Thanks all for the replies.

I am dropping the car at the supplying dealer tomorrow for its software update. It should be ready early next week.

I am going to make it clear that it is my preference for the dealer to repair the car but if the the fix is not sucessful I may look to reject the car. It does seem that there is a mixed experience with some cars being fixed easily and others having ongoing issues.

I was told by the dealer that the car could not be rejected because of a software issue so no doubt I would have a dispute on my hands if I choose to do that. I am hopeful the software update will fix it but if not I really don't see why I should put up with this problem when I have just spent over £30k. After all my 2016 Audi A3 which I am in the process of selling has never put a foot wrong.

I'll let you know what happens with it.

I successfully rejected my Octavia Mark 4 in 2021, after around 5 months of ownership, due to the software being absolute gash.

This is all heavily documented on the relevant forum.

Your dealer is talking absolute BS.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, cnc said:

May or may not be of an help to anyone but my 2023MY Superb is on:

Device no: 3V0035820K

Hardware: H22

Software: 0306

Nav: 22.12

Not sure how relevant the above is but you may want to ask your dealer should you be running the above hardware & software.

There will may be further hardware involved such as the eSim unit, aerial etc.

I've had my car from new 3 months ago and so far in the 8k miles it's worked (almost) fine.

Pretty sure v306 is the one to move to software-wise. 

On 06/01/2023 at 13:44, Gax said:

I successfully rejected my Octavia Mark 4 in 2021, after around 5 months of ownership, due to the software being absolute gash.

This is all heavily documented on the relevant forum.

Your dealer is talking absolute BS.

+1, a modern car IS SOFTWARE, unless you can show me how to run the car without software, complete BS

• Like 1

Update - my car is being driven back to me today by the dealer having had its software update. I am told it is all fixed so fingers crossed. I've had a basic spec Karoq courtesy car for the past few days which is good although in my view not as nice as the Superb. To be fair to the dealership since the service manager (rather than the sales person) has been involved they have been  good to deal with.

• Like 1

On 11/01/2023 at 11:19, smithler2023 said:

Update - my car is being driven back to me today by the dealer having had its software update. I am told it is all fixed so fingers crossed. I've had a basic spec Karoq courtesy car for the past few days which is good although in my view not as nice as the Superb. To be fair to the dealership since the service manager (rather than the sales person) has been involved they have been  good to deal with.

Did the software update do the trick? I've just got mine back from the dealers but needs a replacement control module fitted. Booked back in for mid Feb as apparently there is also a recall on the ev battery which is a 3 day job!!! 

Well we did a pretty decent drive at the weekend and thankfully no SOS or other faults to report.

This morning (-5 degrees) the ice played havoc with the parking sensors but i guess that is normal and anyway it was more the than compensated for by the luxury of the heated seats and steering wheel.

Now I just need to try and set up my user profile...