Fab vRS - Temperature

I have had my VRs from new since last June, love it!

Only one thing puzzles me about it, the temperature gauge has NEVER EVER read above 90 and, despite being stuck in traffic for ages i have never noticed the cooling fan come on.

Does the gauge ever fluctuate on other VRs's and has anybody heard/seen their cooling fan come on?

Mine goes to the halfway mark and then never shifts, doesn't even flicker. But that's consistent with my other cars, my last car used to sit just below halfway and never shifted either, no matter the weather or if I was in traffic, but the fan did come on, I just don't think ya can here it in the fab.

Mine goes to the halfway mark and then never shifts, doesn't even flicker. But that's consistent with my other cars, my last car used to sit just below halfway and never shifted either, no matter the weather or if I was in traffic, but the fan did come on, I just don't think ya can here it in the fab.

mmmmm,interesting! My old Astra Mark 3's temp gauge used to go into orbit the moment it stopped at traffic lights, right up to the red line, but it never used to overheat, bizarre!

I don't pay much attention to the temp gauge anyway it can help tell ya if things are over heating but like I said my last car never shifted, the temp sensor was working fine, but it still didn't stop it blowing it's head gasket in magnificent style. That's what happens when it blows a huge hole in it and coolant floods the engine in seconds, it never gets chance to over heat :)

I don't pay much attention to the temp gauge anyway it can help tell ya if things are over heating but like I said my last car never shifted, the temp sensor was working fine, but it still didn't stop it blowing it's head gasket in magnificent style. That's what happens when it blows a huge hole in it and coolant floods the engine in seconds, it never gets chance to over heat :)

Ouch!

If it ever goes above 90 in fabia something is wrong. It's not exactly 90 degrees all the time it's more like a range for safe temperature.

Thanks, so it's just an indication of "acceptable" temperature and not the exact measurement in degrees?

It wont go over 90 degrees unless there is a problem.

The engine temp does fluctuate as the fan/thermostat operates but the gauge is designed to stay at normal temp so the driver remains calm and content that all is well. Been like that on VAG cars for years.

I think this is a trait of the diesel engine. My brothers Astra 1.7TD Isuzu would never overheat. This proved a problem when trying to test the radiator fan switch as the temp would'nt budge over 90!

I guess the VW diesel follow the same lines.

Same in the Mondeo and the Scooby. I noticed on previous Vauxhalls that the temperature rose to the red line before the fan kicked in, but on other cars the fan kicking in is much was more subtle and unobtrusive.

Chris