Karoq cam belt change - start saving now !

DBSurrey

"I think the 1.5tsi uses the Atkinson / Miller cycle where intake valves are held open longer, which means more of a faff to set it accurately, especially with the helix cams used to switch out (hold open) valves on 2 cylinders."

Going back a few messages now, I don't think that is so, SurreyJohn.  There is an Atkinson/Miller cycle version of the 1.5 that produces less power - 133hp I believe - that appears in some VAG models, but not in any Karoqs or other Skodas that I'm aware of.  However willing to be corrected.  The latest 1.0 in the Karoq, reduced in power to 110hp, is claimed to be Atkinson/Miller cycle (or maybe just partially so in view of the still relatively high power output of that small engine).

"There are more stories where others have screwed up with 1.0TSI timing belt changed. "

Root, what did you mean by that statement?  Is the 1.0 cambelt change as equally difficult and expensive to do as the 1.5?

• Like 1

Thanks for that Root and particularly the link.  The non round pulleys sound weird, sort of elliptical I suppose.

I've got to contact my dealer about the 3 year service / warranty extension plan and will then ask at what age / mileage cambelt replacement is recommended for the 1.0.  I imagine mine's years away yet, as only done 21,000miles in 3.5years.

On 25/01/2023 at 19:19, Karock said:

Why do you have to be so objectionable!

I have always found Toot to be  most helpful on this Forum and would sooner take advice from him than someone like you . It is obvious Toot knows his   stuff regarding engines etc. But as you apparently cannot grasp that. Perhaps something to do with your  background and lack of engineering experience.

I don’t think he was being objectionable.

I think he was simply pointing out that Mr Toot (now on his 2nd generation handle) is guilty of pontificating in almost every strand on this forum, and who in the past has been almost objectionable himself.  So much so that I for one long ago added him to my “ignore list”.

• Kiss 1

More like 8 name changes actually. Usually when there are others with similar names appearing on this or other forums.

Happy to be ignored by whoever chooses to.  Usually the ones who are there with a little dig more than occasionally.

The ones with a faulty ignore button. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2018 Karoq TSI ACT, dealer want £950 for cambelt. The actual Skoda cambelt from main dealer is circa £120, double that for tensioners and all bolts replaced. At best I can understand the belt being a time related interval, but the rest?. They don’t recommend changing the wheel bearings every 5 Years!!! Sound like bad engineering. It is a shame but I really like my Karoq, but my previous Japanese cars never had this issue! I also don’t understand the timing issue. If the cams and crank is locked into position and the new belt fitted with same tooth intervals, how is the timing changed?

on another forum it was posted that this cambelt interval in Germany is based only on mileage, not years. Very hard to verify. I emailed Skoda HQ in  Czech Republic, the response was they did not have any data on my car and referred me to contact my UK. Dealer.

I have membership of Which consumer magazine, and asked if they could get a response. If it is not Time related I will consider my options.

To spend more annually to maintain a cambelt, than my Road Tax is madness.

49 minutes ago, Driveucrazy said:

I have a 2018 Karoq TSI ACT, dealer want £950 for cambelt. The actual Skoda cambelt from main dealer is circa £120, double that for tensioners and all bolts replaced. At best I can understand the belt being a time related interval, but the rest?. They don’t recommend changing the wheel bearings every 5 Years!!! Sound like bad engineering. It is a shame but I really like my Karoq, but my previous Japanese cars never had this issue! I also don’t understand the timing issue. If the cams and crank is locked into position and the new belt fitted with same tooth intervals, how is the timing changed?

on another forum it was posted that this cambelt interval in Germany is based only on mileage, not years. Very hard to verify. I emailed Skoda HQ in  Czech Republic, the response was they did not have any data on my car and referred me to contact my UK. Dealer.

I have membership of Which consumer magazine, and asked if they could get a response. If it is not Time related I will consider my options.

I am making enquiries via a family member living in Germany what Skoda Germany actually recommends.  Will post any further info when I receive it.  Please post any info Which may discover.  A thought did occur to me - does Skoda UK recommend a time limit because we only have access to inferior belts ?  Cynical I know !

• Thanks 1

Brilliant, look forward to your investigation.

On my mileage it works out at 6.5 p per mile. The more I use my bus pass, the price per mile for cambelt increases, ironic or not. I should do the 120,000 miles it’s specified to last then it would seem quite reasonable.

Nobody forces you to have it done, it is only their recommendations or guidelines and it appears to be a schedule but at 5 years the manufacturers warranty will be expired anyway.

Germany might well be more like the environmental conditions of the UK, so maybe look at what VW Group advice for Timing belt replacements with s 1.5 TSI ACT in Australia or even New Zealand. 

120,000 miles might be 10 years with some vehicles or even 20 years by some peoples annual mileage. 

11 hours ago, Driveucrazy said:

They don’t recommend changing the wheel bearings every 5 Years!!!

It is the consequence of failure that is the issue. Generally a failed wheel bearing will cause a little noise and possibly vibration and is easily fixed, but a failed cambelt is pretty likely to be catastrophic for the engine, which isn't easily ixed and will cost a fortune.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Driveucrazy said:

Here are the details for Cambelt change for up to MY 2020 (Manufacturer Year)  Note the document is dated 04.2022, so it's not an out of date file.

This is from the factory maintenance, now Skoda UK, Skoda Czech can recommend you do it at XX Km or Y Years, but that's to cover their ass basically.

2045408118_KaroqBelts-UptoMY2020.thumb.png.be0c5550b8438b39f6c6461bd6aaac33.png

• Thanks 1

If I am reading that right.... In a "normal dust" country (e.g. the UK) it is saying " - " for changing he belt on a petrol car which implies it never needs to be changed.

image.png.c7eb0440616567ca46eaac4d4199f8a5.png

5 minutes ago, smipx said:

If I am reading that right.... In a "normal dust" country (e.g. the UK) it is saying " - " for changing he belt on a petrol car which implies it never needs to be changed.

image.png.c7eb0440616567ca46eaac4d4199f8a5.png

Yes this is the conclusion we made regarding the 1.5 engine, it's in the engine manual too that this is a lifetime belt.

But the debate rages on due to being the internet, and Skoda UK (or other importers) cover their own ass by overruling the factory, or saying it is "recommended" and therefore spreading doubt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Once they know more about 1.5 TSI ACT's at 6 or 7 years old that maybe do 5,000 miles a year or 25,000 miles a year in dust free countries they can revise their advice.

@ the moment they just go by what Derren Brown tells them. 

They have a habit of using paying customers as their R&D. 

Lifetime is until it dies. 

The Timing Belts might outlive all of us, maybe not the engines though. 

Edited by toot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What a palava.  Maybe Martin at MSE should get involved or Which? and force some answers and clarity.  This seems to another one of those "potential" deiselgate situations.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, varooom said:

When the factory is asked to provide an answer as to what a "lifetime" belt is, you won't get an answer.  What is the definition of a lifetime to you/me/Skoda UK?

Hopefully about 85 years for me. I'll be content with that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks for posting info.

as a matter of interest where/ how did you obtain the maintenance schedule you have quoted from? It is a useful document.

whilst it is prudent to change the belt I will not rush into replacing it after only 14500miles. It’s a gamble that could go wrong, but it will be an interesting chat when I have car serviced. I know someone whose Mercedes is in for repair after cambelt failure —-£3500, ouch!

I also wait with interest to see what the Which consumer mag respond

6 minutes ago, Driveucrazy said:

They won't respond unless you report it to them for investigation and I think to do that you need to be a Which? member

• Like 1

Just now, Driveucrazy said:

Thanks for posting info.

as a matter of interest where/ how did you obtain the maintenance schedule you have quoted from? It is a useful document.

whilst it is prudent to change the belt I will not rush into replacing it after only 14500miles. It’s a gamble that could go wrong, but it will be an interesting chat when I have car serviced. I know someone whose Mercedes is in for repair after cambelt failure —-£3500, ouch!

They can be obtained from erWin Skoda for an eye watering sum of 7 euro's, each year I buy Audi/VW/SEAT/Skoda manuals and download the lot to help others.

Make account, pay for 1hr access and have your VIN in a text file, then you can grab these things, and get a build sheet whilst there of your PR Codes that say what was fitted at factory.  If you have a PDF printer, then you can go into the TPI documents (Technical Product Information) and get a list of faults you can lookup regarding your motor, so if your gearbox was say only allowing you to select 1, 3 , 5 for example, then they would have something there if it's a known fault and the remedy.

I think myself I would change at 210,000km perhaps if you are nervous about it, so about 135,000 miles roughly (or again earlier if you wish) this is taking on the Diesel schedule.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, varooom said:

I think myself I would change at 210,000km perhaps if you are nervous about it, so about 135,000 miles roughly (or again earlier if you wish) this is taking on the Diesel schedule.

The thing is that there will be a number of folk on here (myself included) don't really have a care for the milage gaps but more the time element (as very low milage) and the "unkown" I guess is the effect of time on the rubber (perishing / freeze/thaw over the years), so, for us, I guess 4 or 5 years unless you like taking a risk. I guess at 5 years the car might be worth £8K so its the gamble of £3K+ for a new engine or £900 for the belt. It seems sensible to go for the £900 option really at Year 4.  If you don't and then come to try to sell it on at Y5+ then the buyer is going to be knocking you down by 1K anyway as they will know it needs doing.

I often look at old rubber bands in my drawer and also things like the rubber seals on items like food processors (that I have and only use every 5 years. You can see the cracks in the rubber and 5 year old rubber bands have a habit of just snapping when you try to use them,  Not very scientific I appreciate. 

Edited by smipx
  • Like 2

Just now, toot said:

My prediction is based on having heard the voice of Doris Stokes in my head & that is that a GPF will need replace before a timing belt fails.

But only time will tell how good my premonitions are. 

Do you hear a lot of voices in your head Toot?  That would explain a lot 😆

Only joking!

• Cheeky 1
  • Kiss 1