Fabia Ambient 1.9 TDI 100 or Fabia VRS

Hi all I am looking at replacing my new fabia sport as I am reall not getting on well with the petrol engine (used to diesels here).

I have two choices as I am using the 30 day exchange provided by our local skoda dealer and there are only two cars there that fit my bill.

1) Silver 05 plate Fabia 1.9 TDI 100 in the Ambient trim (no alloys only 14" steel wheels which look a tad naff) for

Lets look at the facts....

Ambinet five speed box and steels, take its got air con and with a chip and jabba arb will make a great stealth car with a low insurance group and keep pace wth a standard vrs no problem. Try to get dealer to change the wheels to either alloys or steels of an octy,

VRS a monster with a six speeder. But it advertises it and attracts a higher insurance group. Chipped it really goes. Alloys included.

To be honest theres not much to chose do you want a porty ride and loads of power form the off, well then its a VRS. Want not a lot less power and nearly identical with a chip and a softer ride then its the ambinet. Worth an extra £1100 I'm not so sure. Personally I would buy the ambinet get a set of vrs alloys of ebay or here along with a jabba arb with the £1100......

Another vote for the vRS. Just sitting inside the vRS you feel you are in a much more "special" car. The classy dials, leather steering wheel and gear k.nob, the lovely bucket seats, the embroidered mats etc. Looking at it from the outside the aggressive bodykit, nice alloys and green brakes look the business. The six-speed box is simply a joy to use... need I go on.

The PD100 could be a brilliant "sleeper", but for the overall package - the vRS wins hands down.

However, the vRS seems a tad expensive and

Chers guys so far with the comments.

Tom_VRS its interesting what you have said about the price of the car. Only issue is I am limited to what they have so I doubt I can budge them much.

I am assuming that servicing costs should be the same for both cars as the engine is roughly the same just in a higher state of tune in the VRS.

The VRS definately has that something extra about it for me.

Now I have to convince the missus :rolleyes: (any advice is welcome for that too)

The VRS gets my vote too. However that price is a little expensive. I've just bought a May 05 VRS with 3,000 on the clock for the same price (from a Skoda dealer).

Don't even think about getting the Ambient - you'll just regret it afterwards (as for the idea of buying the Ambient and then fitting VRS alloys... lol!!)

Plus if you mod it's bye bye warranty - why pay 10K for something with no warranty when for a grand more you get warranty, a better package and a quicker car out of the box without the need to mod (unless you really want to).

Realistically the PD100 is pretty fast too, and it's got less tyre noise. It will lean more in cornering but I felt it was a fine car for cruising and plenty fast for making decent progress. It's smoother in power delivery too.

The classic spec is worth checking, if it's got aircon etc it's ok, that was introduced as standard later on in the lifespan of the Fabia. If it hasn't got aircon etc the spec of the classic is very basic so that alone may make the decision swing towards the vRS

vRS vote here but does seem very expensive given that a new one can be yours for £11k, if its a main skoda dealer and a standard exchange policy for main dealers are you limited to that dealers stock or can you choose from national stock on Skoda website? Just a thought.

Cheers for the replies guys.

On the modding front, if I went for the ambiente the only 'mod' I would do is get some alloys for it.

On the 30 day exchange front I believe I am stuck with what the dealer has (although I will be double checking later). However there are only these two fabias that interest me at my local garage.

On the price ofthe VRS front its identical to other models locally at other local skoda dealers (irvines in bridgwater have two around the same age and price).

I am hoping I could knock them down a bit though.

Ask your dealer if they'll do an inter-dealer transfer for some of Irvines stock, maybe?

I test drove the vRS at Irvine (the silver stickered up demo car) and found the sales people there to be very professional and a pleasure to deal with.

I think I may do that although tbh I prefer the red on loders have in yeovil (my local garage). Its done 200 less miles and is the same price.

Although I think I will ask about inter dealer transfers though. Will have to see what they say.

If you can aford it and are a keen driver the VRS.

Thats the sort of thing that will sway me :thumbup:

I can afford either and I do like to drive. Not so much the speed just the fun factor which I think I will get more from the VRS.

Will have to see when we test drive both.

Cheers guys please keep the opinions coming.

I can afford either and I do like to drive. Not so much the speed just the fun factor which I think I will get more from the VRS.

If you like to drive (especially for the fun factor), can afford both and are going to test drive both then its pretty dam obvious which one your going to end up with ;)

Let us know what you think of your test drives!