DoctorBoostalot's Mk1 Fabia VRS Sill Repair - Rust Corrosion Part One

DoctorBoostaLot

After doing most of the mechanical jobs on my Mk1 VRS Fabia I thought I'd have a look at the sills. Now I knew the front edge of the sills were the worst area on the car for corrosion, I just wasn't sure how bad it was going to be.

I started off with cleaning off all the road tar, dirt and grime that gets missed being that low down the car. So it's supposed to be that colour, right?

Sills_web18.thumb.jpg.d659d970d744abf04b297f9b5bd81591.jpg

Er, no. That's a stack of crud mate... Some TFR squirted on here and left for 5 mins started moving this lot.

Sills_web19.thumb.jpg.163c63e301ef1989d77b939d2e60c561.jpg

Sills_web21.thumb.jpg.d3fea456bbd5e62c65675dd749d543ad.jpg

Some of it was a bit more stubbon than you'd think too....

With a rinse it looked a bit better! Why didn't I do this years ago?

Sills_web22.thumb.jpg.9b95e43f6402f8773a11b348910d7faa.jpg

So, how bad is the rust?

Sills_web1.thumb.jpg.3a0f961e0638e3820e4ed29d534e273a.jpg

Well, it's not very nice... gawd how bad it is it I wonder?

With an angle grinder and linishing disc it was time to start investigating.

Sills_web2.thumb.jpg.92048e407c2b8d0cd9d71bcb69da862c.jpg

Sills_web3.thumb.jpg.11039dec82c36b67e2cf424cc39a2c00.jpg

In some ways it wasn't too bad, the majority of the sill was OK, it was just the front and that was worse than I thought it would be!

Front edge was really heavily pitted with some bad edges where the spot welds are on the lower join.

Sills_web5.thumb.jpg.2374f884e8aed32200403c3d106ba09b.jpg

I scribed a line around the area to be removed. As close as I could keeping the patch as small as possible but there's no point in leaving anything bad in.

(To be continued!)

• Like 3

Part 2 of the sill welding

With the patch almost ready I added the lower lip to the repair piece.

V0.thumb.jpg.0a57f3539d13172b934d78bd3cffd128.jpg

Holes for the spot welds drilled along the bottom edge and where it touches the inner sill section.

Sprayed the inside with a weld-thru zinc primer and offered into place with some Molegrips.

V1.thumb.jpg.f6760076a8ad0c9d2969415f7e1639a5.jpg

...and that's all I can show you as I'm out of storage space! 😕

But it's all welded in nicely and welds ground back. Went in pretty nicely really.

• Like 4

How did you form the swage lines?

The rest was once my daily bread and butter in a previous life so brought back lots of memories and was very familiar, the swage line would have been beyond me though.

I have a hand held joddler and also a V bender for the hydraulic press but neither would do a swage line away from the edge of a panel.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Titanium_Man said:

Nice to see something different on this forum as we don’t get many threads like this 😞 

Not done anything like this until now, but got this job to do on mine this year, so subscribed :)

Great work so far! 

I searched thinking there would be a thread like mine but as there wasn't I thought I'd upload some pictures incase it helps someone else out.

Hopefully you can see what's involved and what to expect. You "may" get a replacement panel off eBay but I've no idea what it would be like. It wasn't too hard to form a replacement piece out of 20g mild steel.

Don't get galvanized, zinc coated or without, as long as you use a Weldthru paint for joins and can squirt some paint into the area once done. Sprayable wax after paintwork too but that really should come after a bodyshop, for obvious reasons.

If you've access to a steel folder and guillotine all the better. I didn't but it would have made my job a little cleaner. I haven't welded anything on a car in years! Also don't be surprised to find the bottom of the front wings shot too.... 😕

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DoctorBoostaLot said:

I searched thinking there would be a thread like mine but as there wasn't I thought I'd upload some pictures incase it helps someone else out.

Hopefully you can see what's involved and what to expect. You "may" get a replacement panel off eBay but I've no idea what it would be like. It wasn't too hard to form a replacement piece out of 20g mild steel.

Don't get galvanized, zinc coated or without, as long as you use a Weldthru paint for joins and can squirt some paint into the area once done. Sprayable wax after paintwork too but that really should come after a bodyshop, for obvious reasons.

If you've access to a steel folder and guillotine all the better. I didn't but it would have made my job a little cleaner. I haven't welded anything on a car in years! Also don't be surprised to find the bottom of the front wings shot too.... 😕

I did come across a replacement sill piece for £80 on EBay but the blerb suggested it was made in China, so decided against it in the end. 

Got access to a body shop, so I would hope they have some tools to help with making the weld-in panel. Will check tomorrow whilst I’m on site. 

For the sake of clarity …. You said don’t get galvanised, instead get Zinc coated or    Not zinc coated metal? 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Titanium_Man said:

I did come across a replacement sill piece for £80 on EBay but the blerb suggested it was made in China, so decided against it in the end. 

Got access to a body shop, so I would hope they have some tools to help with making the weld-in panel. Will check tomorrow whilst I’m on site. 

For the sake of clarity …. You said don’t get galvanised, instead get Zinc coated or    Not zinc coated metal? 

Well you could if you want. You'll need to linish off the zinc before welding and galvanised is even worse for you. You don't want anymore impurities in the weld than you can avoid.

I measured the steel as 20g, about .9mm and it's a bit easier to bend than 18g. I did use a little 18g as well. I bought the steel off eBay.

Cardboard, marker pen, scissors. Make your template, make sure you're happy with it then cut that out in steel. A compressed line to blow cool air onto the weld is also a good idea to keep the chance of distortion down. Also I'd a die grinder and carbide cutting tools to help get into the corners when cleaning up your welds. These about 6mm or 1/4" shank. Don't confuse these with Dremel size which is about 3mm.

Carbide

If you decide to put a bit more strength into the sills, when jacking up with them you could also do this. (This is right by the front access rubber bung)

You can see in the corners where the tool has been chewing out the weld to leave it smoother.

(See pic below)

jackpoint

Rich

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DoctorBoostaLot said:

I'm a hack but there is some inspiring stuff of metal restoration and forming on youtube like this channel.

A very good view, so unlike many of the other Youtubers who like the sound of their own voice and drag out 2 minutes of usefull info into 40 minutes.

I have subscribed to his channel and look forward to seeing some of the others.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, J.R. said:

A very good view, so unlike many of the other Youtubers who like the sound of their own voice and drag out 2 minutes of usefull info into 40 minutes.

I have subscribed to his channel and look forward to seeing some of the others.

Yeah, he's got a great channel. Another one I like is this guy,

You've done a cracking job on that. The only correct way to repair as well. 

It'll look lovely when finished and painted. Any remedial work needed on the inside of the folded sill lip? I've found that they can hide nasties under the factory underseal especially when you remove it.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have to go down this road myself so this tread is invaluable to me ! I have it on both sills along with the back quarters where the back bumper meets 😐

• Like 1

I'm not sure if you can get replacement sills but if yours is like mine was I couldn't justify a panel for the amount I was putting in. Shifting all that factory rubber stonechip was a messy mission, clouds of burnt rubber!

Still, it was OK once done. A lot less rusty than an E46 coupe... 😕

Screen Shot 2024-03-19 at 13.55.27.jpg

• Like 2