Error: Auto Hold / Error: Hill Start Assist

Craigster

I have a 70plate 2.0 Diesel DSG and on numerous occasions have had two errors on starting "Error: Auto Hold" followed by "Error: Hill Start Assist" , both of which clear immediately and the car then performs normally.

I have had the car since Oct 22 and had it back to the dealers for a software update to stop the Emergency call error (seems to have worked) and subsequently to resolve the oil temp and petrol gauge displays flickering (the main dash was unaffected) which again seems to have worked.

This time I took the car in and they have found several error codes but suggested (as I understood it) that these coincided with low battery voltage, although the battery voltage appeared to be fine when they had it. The fault however remains and still occurs at least two or three times each week.

Has anyone else had anything like this? Its due a service next week so I am wondering whether to push for a new battery or a software update?

(Its currently on H56 and 1806)

Hi Craigster, I too have a similar model to yourself. 

I park it on my drive, which has a slight incline towards the front of the car. When I park up, I usually just select Park (which brings the auto hold on) and simply get out of the car.

But like you exexperiencewhen the car the next day, the same faults appear on the dash. Fortunately, these always disappear when I start to reverse off the drive. 

In summary, it's just another annoyance with this model and have learnt to live with it......

@Grady funnily enough I too have a drive that inclines towards the front of the car and orginally put it down to the slope but it very occasionally happens when parked on a level surface. I was hoping it wasn't just me that had the problem but also hoping someone had found a fix :)

@toot I do have at the back of my mind that if its a problem brewing I want it sorting before the warranty expires, we shall see what they say when its serviced next week.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, toot said:

@Craigster

Do you have an older 1.4 TSI as well, as shows to the left?

No that's me being bad at admin.....I did have a 1.4tsi on a 65plate but that was swapped for a Civic which in turn parted company for the current car. 

Should be right now.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The dealer charged the battery whilst they had it in for service and the problem seems to have gone away.....if it does return battery must be losing charge. Question then is why?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 05/04/2023 at 11:47, 123ashleyp23 said:

im getting the same messages ?

new battery fitted - still same problem

image.jpeg

Can I ask if it got fixed please as I’m having these messages with my Octavia se first edition

It went in for an unrelated repair and they put the battery on charge, this time overnight, and it hasn't happened since.

You have more errors than me though, I just had auto hold and hill start and both cleared themselves after a couple of seconds.

The early cars are not good!

I have 12 different error codes.!! mine is in ŠKODA on Tuesday just hoping it’s  not going to be too expensive (who am I kidding) also error stop start all pointing towards battery problem but had voltage check on battery today and they said it’s fine.

Mine came with an extra years warranty and given the issues with these I think it might be time for a change when that comes to an end.

Don't fancy paying dealer hourly rates whilst they try and guess what the problem is.

Good Luck!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Since a few days ago I also have such errors occasionally when start the car, they disappear after a few seconds. But more than that, my care became wobbly. At first I thought that's my brain playing with me and I couldn't repeat the issue on purpose while maneuvering on different speeds, but today I noticed that when I park, if I apply a bit too much brakes, car stops abruptly and wobbling front to back.

Stopped counting which trip to a workshop it will be, but reading what @123ashleyp23wrote, I hope it will be fixed relatively easily.

I had mine fixed at Skoda mine was…… A fiox or rodent had chewed through my loom to my abs sensor and needed replacing after getting myself up of the floor from laughing at what Skoda told me I had a look on google and sure enough foxes have a habit of chewing through the cables £600 later 😡

• 1 month later...
On 08/08/2023 at 18:48, Edela said:

Since a few days ago I also have such errors occasionally when start the car, they disappear after a few seconds. But more than that, my care became wobbly. At first I thought that's my brain playing with me and I couldn't repeat the issue on purpose while maneuvering on different speeds, but today I noticed that when I park, if I apply a bit too much brakes, car stops abruptly and wobbling front to back.

Stopped counting which trip to a workshop it will be, but reading what @123ashleyp23wrote, I hope it will be fixed relatively easily.

So... it took them 3 weeks to figure out what's up, though that wasn't the only problem I reported to them.
Serviceman said he found no issues with brakes and no logs of such errors while connected to the car. What they found is that shock absorbers are completely gone on one side. That explains why I felt car became unstable and wobbly, but how the heck that could happen after the car made only 39000 km? On top of that, iV model requires different parts which are not in stock anywhere, as they said, and they ordered them from the factory, so god knows when they'll arrive. This car never cease to amaze me...

• 1 month later...

I've recently bought a 21 plate Octavia TDI 2.0 SE L and have encountered similar error messages to those described in the forum.  I'll be contacting the dealer and arranging for the car to be inspected.  I'll report back on the outcome!