The Hideous DSG Gear Selector........

wardth

Gotta be honest - that chunk of nasty plastic chrome is putting me right off. Has anybody removed theirs and recoloured/wrapped, or does anybody offer a replacement that looks slightly less like a bit of Airfix kit?

Edited by wardth

I totally agree. It’s the most obnoxious looking thing I have ever used, very plasticky. I think it’s so small so it’s not confused with a normal gear selector. There are replacements for the golf and Audi A3 but to be honest they don’t look much different to the standard selector. 

Just now, mitchec said:

I totally agree. It’s the most obnoxious looking thing I have ever used, very plasticky. I think it’s so small so it’s not confused with a normal gear selector. There are replacements for the golf and Audi A3 but to be honest they don’t look much different to the standard selector. 

I mean literally ANYTHING would be an improvement. I can't actually believe this one got approved! Somebody needs to bring out a black one at least, maybe with a milled alloy shift selector. I would pay good money for that, although at the moment I'm thinking a MK IV may not be the way to go right now.....

I would stay clear of any VW based vehicles based on the current MQB evo platform. Although my Octavia mk4 drives well enough the standard of the infotainment, ACC, Travel assist and safety systems are awful. 

C'mon, it's just fantastic. The gloss black plastic frame though, could be better - just because it's super hard to keep shiny... but the DSG gear selector is amazing!

Like someone said, you can't really please everyone...

• Like 4

Can't see anything wrong with the shifter, looks neat and works fine imho. Infotainment system takes some getting used to but once 'learnt' it's pretty good. My only gripe is NO inbuilt HDD for music storage, even my 10 year old Jeep had that!

On 04/03/2023 at 23:12, SouthernComfort said:

My only gripe is NO inbuilt HDD for music storage, even my 10 year old Jeep had that!

A harddrive would be a bit old-fashioned and unpractical by today's standard 😉 But I would have liked an SD-card reader hidden in the glove compartment, like my Fabia had.

Instead, I'm using a USB-stick - I just bought the (physically) smallest one I could find, and it now permanently occupies one of the two USB-C ports.

However, I must admit that I don't use it much. Spotify and Android Auto is just so much more convenient. Even though the audio quality is marginally better from the USB stick.

36 minutes ago, LarsKC said:

Instead, I'm using a USB-stick - I just bought the (physically) smallest one I could find, and it now permanently occupies one of the two USB-C ports.

However, I must admit that I don't use it much. Spotify and Android Auto is just so much more convenient. Even though the audio quality is marginally better from the USB stick.

I’m the same. Bought a physically small but high capacity USB-C stick but usually use Spotify and CarPlay. 
Voice control works well with the USB source though, probably better than it does with Spotify - mainly because it’s a play this or that rather than a ‘search for’ type request.

Way off topic though!

BTW, for the 8.5k miles I drove a 1.0 e-tec DSG I thought the “hideous DSG gear selector” was wonderful - so much so I wish my current manual ‘box was DSG. Next time…