Skoda Felicia Gearbox oil change interval Years/km

Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.

For a manual gearbox particularly I doubt there would be a gearbox oil change interval and some people would never bother changing in decades of vehicle use. - ETA: I am wrong, again, (and I must have forgot, again) see D.FYLAKTOS's later post - "Skoda says every 60.000 Km".

Someone else here might know if there is a service interval for the Felicia gearbox. - ETA: as above!

Personally I think useless you have extremes of driving or climate then 5 (or more) years would be fine.  Better quality oils, usually synthetic, usually provide wider and longer lasting protection especially in extremes so would last longer so longer change intervals.

As important as the oil change interval is the thoroughness of the oil change to get as much of the existing oil and contaminants out as possible so that as much new fresh oil can go back in meaning the new fresh oil is diluted less by the residue of existing oil and contaminants that are left in the gearbox.  There is always residue of existing oil and contaminants left in the gearbox unless the gearbox is removed from the vehicle and completely striped down, the aim is to leave as little as possible in, a quick careless oil change will leave a lot more residue of existing oil and contaminants than most people realise.

For the oil change get the oil as warm (hot) as possible so that more existing oil and contaminants comes out of the gearbox and easier, if drain leave to drain for as long as possible and sensible.  If draining I personally add a little new fresh and warmed oil (warmed by the sun often) to the gearbox at the very end of the drain and allow that to drain through as a sort of final little flushing.

If I remember correctly you really look after your car so you might want to look at the likes Redline oil or similar better synthetic oil, available in GL-4 if that is your preference.  I do not know what oils companies/blenders are reasonably available to you Mannol may well have one suitable if you enquire with them.

Edited by nta16
ETA:

I use Mannol Universal 80w90 GL-4 and it is a Mineral oil, it is the best choice for me and for my budget and it is doing very well with me in the summer and winter, 

i change the Gearbox oil about 2 years ago now and i have only drive about 4000 km since i change it, 

So what is the Gearbox oil change interval Km/Years for this oil ??

As I put I doubt there is an interval in time or distance,* some might say 10 years or more, or 100,000 km or more.  I like to do oil changes on a vehicle but even I would think three years with a mineral oil is fine, or up to 5 years, the thoroughness of the oil change will make a difference too.

ETA: I am wrong, again, (and I must have forgot, again) see D.FYLAKTOS's post - "Skoda says every 60.000 Km".

Edited by nta16
ETA:

3 minutes ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

Skoda says every 60.000 Km

Sorry you have put this before but I forgot, and will probably forget again.

60,000 km is 37,000 miles so is that three years use or more?

Must be something in the water here!  ☺️

60,000 kilometers = 37282.282 miles according to Google, I rounded it to 37,000 miles for the sake of an easy figure in miles for those used to kilometers and not miles.

In (UK) "old money" it would be 36,000 miles as that would be a usual (old) service point when services were at whichever was soonest arrived at mileage interval or time interval.

6,000 miles / 6 months, 12,000 miles / 12 months, 24,000 miles / 24 months and 36,000 miles / 36 months (or sometimes 30,000 miles / 3 years).

So I would put 60,000 km as being equal to 36,000 miles or 3 years - at 4,000 km per year @Mustafa_Samir will be soonest at a 3 year interval than a 60,000 km interval.

18 minutes ago, nta16 said:

whichever was soonest arrived at mileage interval or time interval.

Have you seen on a label of a gear oil the ''60.000 Km or 3 years whichever comes first" as we have seen in engine oil label the ''10.000 or 12 months" ?

MANNOL Universal Getriebeoel 80W-90 API GL-4
Gear oil
SAE 80W-90
API GL-4
MIL L 2105

https://sct-catalogue.de/index.php?locale=en&action=catalog_part_info_view&code=10180406000&id_brand=0&item_code=MNL_10180406000&id_provider=240&return=action%3Dcatalog_product_latest%26step%3D215

16 hours ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

Have you seen on a label of a gear oil the ''60.000 Km or 3 years whichever comes first" as we have seen in engine oil label the ''10.000 or 12 months" ?

As far as I know or can remember we do not normally see such on gear oils here.  Normally the oil company or blender will refer you to the car manufacturers' servicing guides.

Compared to America the UK and Europe are the 'Wild West' when it comes to oil changes but we might not be so wedded to oil as the Americans who are used to very low prices and using it as if it's going out of fashion and taking steps to secure it's cheap availability to them in the same way very wealthy countries without too much water "help" countries with fertile ground or China helps countries with monetary loans and building infrastructures at cost and interest to those countries for what China wants (to take) from them. a bit like the British and other Empires before them.  ☺️

MG Bs specified gearbox oil changes at  24,000 miles or 24 months whichever was the sooner, but they used engine oil in the gearboxes which I would suggest was less robust in that use than a gear oil. 

Like the BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation) I am here to Inform, educate, entertain, but this is the internet so what can you trust and believe. 🙃

All I can say is (if I am being truthful (?)) - I am not in or part of the motor trade, so take or leave as much as you want from whatever I post or part of of a post I put up.

ETA: removed BL Technical Service Bulletin to keep more to subject.

Edited by nta16
ETA:

8 hours ago, nta16 said:

in a USA Technical Service Bulletin they stated that hypoid SAE 90 was approved for use in MG gearboxes instead of engine oil

OK, it says what it says, but I'd normally expect a gearbox (or differential) oil from period (other than British Laylow) to be something like SAE 90 EP, where "EP" is "Extreme Pressure".

4 hours ago, KenONeill said:

OK, it says what it says, but I'd normally expect a gearbox (or differential) oil from period (other than British Laylow) to be something like SAE 90 EP, where "EP" is "Extreme Pressure".

Well it's off the net so could be a period typo and "Hypoid" shouldn't be there or it might just be a fake altogether.

ETA: I'll remove it to avoid confusion on the subject.

Edited by nta16
ETA:

2 hours ago, mikefelicia said:

One needs to know there should be no contamination of the oil in a sealed gear box unlike engine oil, and modern oils are so much better than oils of yesterdays.

Yeah "contaminants" was used out of habit and for those with English as a second (or more) language I didn't think my more usual crud, debris, grit, ****, muck was appropriate but what is the best word to use?   As the exiting oil doesn't come out after many years of use as fresh oil but with the additives worn, oxidised and perhaps bits of metal what to call that in one simple word?

Oils have improved in the last 20 years let alone from the 1960s and 1970s but IIRC (I didn't with the change interval) we've already been through alternative oils, if available to Mustafa, in a previous thread.

So guys end of the line here, i use Mannol Universal 80w90 Mineral gearbox oil and it is doing great with me,

I drive my car maximum about 5000 km per year no more than that and sometimes less than 5000 km,

So should i change the Gearbox oil every 3 years or 5 years or what  ????

Thefeliciahacker has already put 2 years is fine and "maybe extend it to 3 years in order to cover some more distance".

My opinion is you can change the oil at anytime to your preference or convenience at or between 3 and 5 years.

8 hours ago, nta16 said:

Thefeliciahacker has already put 2 years is fine and "maybe extend it to 3 years in order to cover some more distance".

My opinion is you can change the oil at anytime to your preference or convenience at or between 3 and 5 years.

Thank you for the information, i will change it on 3 or 4 years maximum

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Mustafa_Samir said:

Thank you for the information, i will change it on 3 or 4 years maximum

Thanks but do bear in mind that is just my opinion. 

Personally I'd use something like Redline and do a thorough changes at 5 to 7 years or 60,000km, whichever is the sooner.

Good luck.

Edited by nta16
ETA: changes plural

1 hour ago, nta16 said:

Thanks but do bear in mind that is just my opinion. 

Personally I'd use something like Redline and do a thorough changes at 5 to 7 years or 60,000km, whichever is the sooner.

Good luck.

What is the viscosity of Redline is it 80w90 or what ??

and is it Mineral or Semi Synthetic or Synthetic gearbox oil ??

• MTL is 75w80 (GL-4)
  • MT-85  is 75w85 (GL-4)
  • MT90 is 75w90 GL-4

From their catalogue -

"Red Line formulates full-synthetic oils and advanced additives using the world’s finest base stocks.  Rather than cutting costs by blending in petroleum products, Red Line’s high-performance oils use superior PAO and ester base stocks that provide extreme stability at high temperatures and superior film strength at lower viscosities where more power can be produced."

https://www.redlineoil.com/gear-oil-for-manual-transmissions

Edited by nta16

3 hours ago, Mustafa_Samir said:

What is the viscosity of Redline is it 80w90 or what ??

The price is about 35 euro per 946 ml, you need 2.4 litre so you must buy 3 plastic bottles = 105 euro

Are you willing to spend 105 euro per 3 years only for purchase gear box oil? :ohmy:

Another reason to keep it in 5 to 7 years (or more) or 60,000 km.

As it is American in comes in US Quart or US Gallon bottles and it certainly is not cheap.  It may be less expensive to buy it from a local motor racing supplier or some such place and it might even be less expensive to buy a US gallon bottle rather than 3 quart bottles depending on the supplier, stock and offers at the time.

First

On 28/02/2023 at 17:00, nta16 said:

or between 3 and 5 years.

and later

56 minutes ago, nta16 said:

Another reason to keep it in 5 to 7 years (or more)

:unsure:

So?