2.0 TDI MPG

Hi guys new here getting a mk4 VRs in 1 week 

it’s a estate with the FWD 2.0 TDI 

what MPG have owners been getting ??

coming from a 335d touring which avg 40/45mpg 

14 hours ago, GregB11x said:

Mine is a hatch and I'm averaging 5,8 litre per 100 km. Sorry don't know how much mpg that is. It's awesome.. The car is fast, the consumption very low. 

5.6L/100 is 50mpg (Imperial British measurement) so 5.8L/100 is nearly 49mpg.

• Like 1

On 25/03/2023 at 05:50, Andy585 said:

Hi guys new here getting a mk4 VRs in 1 week 

it’s a estate with the FWD 2.0 TDI 

what MPG have owners been getting ??

coming from a 335d touring which avg 40/45mpg 

I understand why you ask but, honestly, figures without context are almost meaningless.

Got to have some idea of the driver and regular journey profile to make any sense of any figures. 

We are still dark age Euro 5 emission standard in Australia but I am assuming that AdBlue is mandatory in Europe and should be included as a related consumption factor?

If you are doing a lot of long journeys then I think you are going to love your new car, and get good consumption.

Edited by Gerrycan

18 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

I understand why you ask but, honestly, figures without context are almost meaningless.

Got to have some idea of the driver and regular journey profile to make any sense of any figures. 

We are still dark age Euro 5 emission standard in Australia but I am assuming that AdBlue is mandatory in Europe and should be included as a related consumption factor?

If you are doing a lot of long journeys then I think you are going to love your new car, and get good consumption.

Yes, you have a point, should really be factoring in the fuel, and a bottle of AdBlue every X miles.

What is interesting in UK is diesel fuel is about 15% more expensive than petrol (we used to get percentage of diesel from Russia, now banned under sanctions).  So have to buy from expensive alternatives.

Diesel cars cost more to buy too, so need to drive lots of miles to recover the extra cost.

For the record, the official combined mpg (per UK) brochure, for estate is as follows (range of values depends on options fitted) :

SEL 1.5tsi DSG 50.4 - 53.6 mpg

SEL 2.0tdi DSG 59.2 - 63.2 mpg

vRS 2.0tsi DSG 39.4 - 40.3 mpg

vRS 2.0tdi DSG 54.5 - 55.9 mpg

So at current fuel prices the 1.5tsi is cheaper in fuel than diesel vRS

WLTP is not real world, nor is RDE2.   Not driving UK summer or winter of any days on UK roads with UK conditions or speed limits.  Maybe with or without Stop start enabled or regens happening etc. So the only thing that matters is location location location and how you use, journey length etc.  Ps. Manual or DSG.  Tyres at comfort pressures, light loaded car or eco pressures, family car / taxi with actual people and stuff in it. 

Edited by toot
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, toot said:

WLTP is not real world, nor is RDE2.   Not driving UK summer or winter of any days on UK roads with UK conditions or speed limits.  Maybe with or without Stop start enabled or regens happening etc. So the only thing that matters is location location location and how you use, journey length etc.

Totally agree. Driving style, journey length, road type, traffic conditions all have a bearing on real world figures. Much to my surprise, my 1.5tsi averages are better than the WLTP brochure figures.

Overall average since purchase (22,300 miles) : 54.9mpg

Best 'three tank' average : 59.98 mpg

That three tank average was on a European road trip so most mileage was motorway, autoroute, autostrada at legal limits where traffic and weather conditions permitted (anything from about 60 - 80 mph (100 - 130 kph))

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Andy585 said:

If I get around 55mpg from the 2.0tdi VRs I will be happy 

I also tow a small caravan and having the diesel torque helps 

Due to collect the car sometime this week  came off the boat at Grimsby so I have a nice 300mile drive home to south west Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 with the car 

74C292CF-2D28-4FC1-B065-8A882ED0A8B1.png

Hope you enjoy the car, and the drive back. Looks great in that colour 👍

2 hours ago, SteveTheElder said:

Totally agree. Driving style, journey length, road type, traffic conditions all have a bearing on real world figures. Much to my surprise, my 1.5tsi averages are better than the WLTP brochure figures.

Overall average since purchase (22,300 miles) : 54.9mpg

Best 'three tank' average : 59.98 mpg

That three tank average was on a European road trip so most mileage was motorway, autoroute, autostrada at legal limits where traffic and weather conditions permitted (anything from about 60 - 80 mph (100 - 130 kph))

Your excellent consumption may have beaten the combined figures BUT they did not beat the (ridiculous) 1.5tsi extra-urban figure of 3.9L/100 or 72.43mpg. :)

5 minutes ago, Gerrycan said:

Your excellent consumption may have beaten the combined figures BUT they did not beat the (ridiculous) 1.5tsi extra-urban figure of 3.9L/100 or 72.43mpg. :)

Fair point, but it did achieve 61mpg over 1000 miles from the Tuscany coast, over the Simplon Pass and finishing up in village high in the Jura mountains, a net climb off about 3000 feet.

• Like 3

On my 2.0TDi (SE Technology), when I was regularly driving an hour each way on dual carriageways to commute (plus other work mileage) my average consumption was around 70mpg.  I've now got a shorter commute and have noticed it's dropped down a little, seems to hover between 60-65mpg.  I tend to drive to the limits, and don't over accelerate etc so keeps things a bit more economical.

• Like 2

on my Octavia 1.9 tdi, i once got as low as 2.8L/100KM. 

commute

- 3.9L/100 to 4.4L/100

Highway

- 2.8L/100 to 3.7L/100 if the car is light, without passengers and luggages

-3.5/L/100 to 5L/100 if the car is loaded 

PXL_20230216_174238135.jpg

I can just make out the 1 above the l/100km reading meaning it is not an instantaneous reading but the average over the journey, it would be indisputable if you had taken a second photo showing the journey distance on the left instrument with the same readings on the odometer on the right.

The Octavia 1 will not read above 99.9mpg, I would get that every day over my 10km journey going to my language lessons in Grenoble from the chambre d'hôte in the mountains, a lot less on the return journey in the evening 🤣

I could get mid 70's on leisurely B road journeys, my best ever was 84.8mpg so I do believe your figures are achievable but not everyday on European roads, my other record was 13mpg during 15 laps of the Croix en Ternois race circuit!

That was flat out acceleration all the time aside from braking so I reckon is pretty much the minimum other than on a chassis dyno.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, I got a 72 plate ex demo diesel 2 weeks ago, I do around 20k a year for work, regular 900 mile round trips in a week, I’m getting up to 62 mpg in this new one on motorway trips at around 75mph! Old 67 plate mk3 manual Vrs with 130k miles on it was averaging 57mpg on similar drives!

really impressed with the new car, more toys in it than on my 2021 new Range Rover sport! 

enjoy your new car!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 25/03/2023 at 22:33, Wonderloaf said:

Town driving 40ish mpg, long motorway type run I've got up to 56/57mpg

Just done 630 mile trip in my 2.00 litre diesel 197 bhp.it still had 2 bats on fuel gauge when I got back home

I filled up next day and cost was £ 61 so to me excellent mpg.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Joss1733 said:

Just done 630 mile trip in my 2.00 litre diesel 197 bhp.it still had 2 bats on fuel gauge when I got back home

I filled up next day and cost was £ 61 so to me excellent mpg.

I could never get that here - we don't have long enough motorways/dual carriageways lol

• 4 weeks later...

2021 2.0VRS 2WD but quite loaded with my exhibition stuff 
 A careful drive in the rain from Wetherby to Colchester , A1(M), A1,A14

IMG_7460.thumb.png.1b0e2e21db86dd5a4c109e60d2134182.png   

Edited by johnrowley
  • Like 1
  • Love it! 1