What to do with the fuel cap…?

Of course it does, thats why it is on a lanyard.

If you dont like it then cut the lanyard & put the cap on the pump and revert to having to drive back to the garage to ask if they have found your cap when you notice fuel spilling out and/or motorcyclists coming a cropper behind you.

The cap touching the bodywork does not concern me, much preferable to keep losing theml.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For many things, including those that you think you know about but because it's a modern complex car, you are best to refer to the 'Owner's Manual'.

If you read the 'Owner's Manual' and refer to it before even simple jobs, you will know more about your car than many long term owners and those in garages and Dealership.

If you are male you may have been told by some blokes with testicles bigger than their brains that it is against the law to read instructions, this is not the case.

If for some reason you don't have a paper printed copy of the 'Owner's Manual' you can download a free VWSkoda pdf copy from this link. - https://manual.skoda-auto.com/004/en-com/Models

From my wife's Fabia 2015 book. -

mkmkm.jpg.35019d0e090330b6c6a6a48acb4f961f.jpg 

Edited by nta16
ETA: year
  • Like 1

Or if you have a facelift ('18 and on) then you might have a pin sticking out of the bottom of the cap which fits nicely into a hole on the "arm" of the fuel flap.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HeavyMetalRich said:

Or if you have a facelift ('18 and on) then you might have a pin sticking out of the bottom of the cap which fits nicely into a hole on the "arm" of the fuel flap.

Fancy that, that is how things are with my 2011 Audi S4, so the clock has been changed back to maybe 2008 or 2009 when the B8 version of Audi A4 was launched - or maybe even before on some VW Group marques.

VW Group seem to work or go round in circles sometimes, or maybe spirals.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, J.R. said:

Of course it does, thats why it is on a lanyard.

If you dont like it then cut the lanyard & put the cap on the pump and revert to having to drive back to the garage to ask if they have found your cap when you notice fuel spilling out and/or motorcyclists coming a cropper behind you.

The cap touching the bodywork does not concern me, much preferable to keep losing theml.

Every VAG car I’ve owned since the 90s has either had somewhere to hang the cap, or both a lanyard and somewhere to hang the cap. 

9 hours ago, toot said:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/480819-fuel-cap-cord-cut-replacement

It is designed / engineered by 'simply clever people', to sit on top of the fuel filler flap. 

If you have one that has been.

Screenshot_20200517-165044_Chrome.jpg.18415a4f96a5572b9dc9bd30d6084a3a.jpg

Hmm, takes me back to the days of my Audi 80 and Coupe. I didn’t notice any cutouts on the cap on the Fabia, but I’ll have proper look. Else I’ll get the multi-tool out 🤣

Cheers for the replies all 👍

• Like 1

Did you see HeavyMetalRich answer?

If you put what year your Fabia is on your name plate or in a post I could (or even you could) look it up in the appropriate 'Owner's Manual' and post it here for future reference.  Even Audi 80s came with an Owner's Manual, probably a lot easier to read than the Fabia's.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nta16 said:

Did you see HeavyMetalRich answer?

If you put what year your Fabia is on your name plate or in a post I could (or even you could) look it up in the appropriate 'Owner's Manual' and post it here for future reference.  Even Audi 80s came with an Owner's Manual, probably a lot easier to read than the Fabia's.

Sure did. It’s a 67 plate (pre the 2018 facelift). No access the to paper owners manual at present, but will have a look online and check the cap when I’m back with the car 👍

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Superbalicious said:

Every VAG car I’ve owned since the 90s has either had somewhere to hang the cap, or both a lanyard and somewhere to hang the cap. 

No VAG car I have had since the 90's (and they have been the majority) had that feature but its probably more true to say they actually did but I never read the manuals!!!

I will have to look at the Yeti tomorrow, I'm just happy to have a lanyard and to not be losing any more fuel caps.

• Like 2

I seem to remember that the 2002 VW Polo my wife used to have, did have the earlier style of fuel cap that maybe had the lanyard tightly fitted into a groove on the top of the cap, did have these cut outs in the cap that allowed you to park it on the open fuel flap.

I'm sure that her 2015 VW Polo that has the later fuel cap with the free running hard plastic ring that the lanyard connects to, does not have any cut outs in the cap - progress, maybe.

Edit:- I was wrong, that 2015 VW Polo does have the 4 cut outs in its fuel cap as well as the lanyard.

Edited by rum4mo
Corrected my statement wrt cut outs!
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Superbalicious said:

Sure did. It’s a 67 plate (pre the 2018 facelift). No access the to paper owners manual at present, but will have a look online and check the cap when I’m back with the car 👍

You'll have the slots cut in the edges of the cap to sit over the flap as demonstrated perfectly by @toot's pic. My previous Fabia was the same age. 👍

• Like 1

toot's picture clearly shows the principle but the angle of the non-dangle is different as on the Fabia MK3 is more curved.  I looked at a 2020 'Owner's Manual' and that still had the same illustration as the one I put up.  Must admit I don't think I've always used the slots and I bet my wife who normally fills the tank (before the major panic of the needle reaching the tip of the red section and panic warnings) doesn't either.

• Like 1

My Yeti does indeed have the cut outs, its probably safe to say that all my previous VAG vehicles also had.

Will the knowledge change the habits of a lifetime? I soehow doubt it, it dangling onto the rear win has never caused me anxiety and I wont start reading owners manuals until I need to know something. as before.

Sotrry for spelling but cannot read what I am mistyping.

Sorry for dragging this on even further, I sort of remember that the first car that we had that had a lanyard, a 2002 VW Polo, the material that the lanyard was made of was very supple and lasted the 13 years/105K miles we had that car. My daughter's 2009 SEAT Ibiza appeared new with a horrible stiffer plastic sort of lanyard, and when I ended up looking after it when she worked abroad, it came at maybe 5 years and 25ishK miles with that lanyard snapped/broken - that did not surprise me after seeing that nasty newer lanyard material when it was new!

Now we have 2 newer cars and that daughter and her sister also have newer cars all VW Group - and so with this newer probably cheaper nasty looking lanyard material, for me, that is the main reason why I don't make the effort, when fuelling my wife's 2015 Polo, to make use of the cut outs on the cap - as the memory and its strength of the shaped lanyard, makes it clear that it would rather not be sitting on the fuelling flap - it would rather jump free and land on the paint work, so I save it the effort!

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, toot said:

Topping up 45 litre tanks with a Fabia do not take long pulling the trigger and the blow back soon has the Auto cut off needing the trigger used again to brim them. 

Ah, you obviously aren't as lazy as me!

• Haha 1

I used to be a Pump Boy in my teens and certainly used the Trigger Lock back in the day filling up commercials, or my van or others with big tanks.

Not with a Fabia though, and i vented the tank on any i was filling up. 

I never needed Hands Free with my Alhambra with a 63 litre tank, as i can scratch my ar5e with one hand.