Yeti MPG

feirmeoir

Very disappointed with the fuel efficiency from my yeti. It's a 2l tdi 140 4x4 dsg. 

I had hoped that fixing the dsg cooler thermostat would have helped with mpg but it's much the same despite the temp issue being sorted.

I've put about 10,000 miles since buying it 5 months ago.

Best mpg has been 39 taking it very handy with a few longer spins on the original tyres and worst has been the last fill 34mpg with the new yokoholma g015s - obviously not helping matters...

It was typically averaging 36mpg previously

I the rear seats removed its kitted out with some storage and my work gear but nothing outrageously heavy.

All readings based on the tank, computer claims 39.7mpg over the past 2000 miles or so 

Have people had much joy with remaps and deletes to improve mpg  or is that fuel efficiency pretty much par for the course?

That is very poor indeed… my 1.6 tdi (stage 1 tuned 150 bhp, 5sp manual, egr deleted)  does on average 50-53 mpg, and sometimes, in very good conditions 59 mpg.

Are you running agressive tyres? And what size?

There ain’t no brake dragging?

30 minutes ago, Bas750 said:

That is very poor indeed… my 1.6 tdi (stage 1 tuned 150 bhp, 5sp manual, egr deleted)  does on average 50-53 mpg, and sometimes, in very good conditions 59 mpg.

Are you running agressive tyres? And what size?

There ain’t no brake dragging?

215 65 r16 

wouldn’t be all that aggressive but was expecting a little drop all the same.

marketed as a 70:30 on road off road 

Are your figures based off the computer or tank?

According to wikipedia, the Yeti 140PS AWD DSG does 44.8mpg, which is similar to the Octavia VRS petrol DSG cars, as they are listed at 44.1mpg. So it's a rather thirsty diesel.

2.0 TDI CR 103 kW    2010–    CFHC (EA189)    1968 ccm, I4, 16V DOHC, common-rail, turbocharged    103 kW (140 PS; 138 hp) at 4200 rpm    320 Nm. (236 lb•ft) at 1750–2500    6-speed DSG (DQ250) AWD    187    116    9.9    6.3 / 44.8    169

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Škoda_Yeti

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, feirmeoir said:

Very disappointed with the fuel efficiency from my yeti. It's a 2l tdi 140 4x4 dsg. 

I had hoped that fixing the dsg cooler thermostat would have helped with mpg but it's much the same despite the temp issue being sorted.

I've put about 10,000 miles since buying it 5 months ago.

Best mpg has been 39 taking it very handy with a few longer spins on the original tyres and worst has been the last fill 34mpg with the new yokoholma g015s - obviously not helping matters...

It was typically averaging 36mpg previously

I the rear seats removed its kitted out with some storage and my work gear but nothing outrageously heavy.

All readings based on the tank, computer claims 39.7mpg over the past 2000 miles or so 

Have people had much joy with remaps and deletes to improve mpg  or is that fuel efficiency pretty much par for the course?

You're right to be disappointed with that.

I'd be looking to see why the car's not running right first, before looking into remaps and mods.

As you're in Ireland, I'd be inclined to have a word with this chap (Edit: email address automatically censored by BriSkoda, so take his contact details from his YouTube channel) who seems to be an excellent diesel expert.

If nothing else, his YouTube videos are very interesting. Worth checking him out, anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/@ORileysAutos/videos

Good luck! 👍

Edited by EnterName
Note added about redacted email
  • Like 1

I'm not surprised your consumption has increased using those tyres. All AT tyres are known to do that due to the type of compound used and the "grippier" tread pattern.

I used my Yeti's off road considerably, using the standard road tyres and never had a problem.

• Like 1

On 16/04/2023 at 12:15, Bas750 said:

For example. But also check your wheel center after a drive; the should not be warm or hot.

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head. Front left was still quite warm an hour or so after parking up this evening.

16 hours ago, feirmeoir said:

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head. Front left was still quite warm an hour or so after parking up this evening.

Jack up the front left wheel and see if the wheel turns freely by hand.

You could also start the engine to get the power assisted brakes working and press the front brake pedal firmly, and then release the front brake pedal. Now see if the front left wheel turns freely by hand. It sounds like you might have a sticking brake caliper on that wheel.

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 1

Since the car has done 10,000 miles in 5 months and those were winter months servicing is due.

Post winter, including brakes, maybe a brake fluid change if no record of the last change. 

Air filter inspected and cleaned or replaced, fuel filter replaced maybe, Oil & filter, Haldex serviced properly and maybe even the rear diff oil changed.

• Like 1

Intake tract clogged up from the EGR port through the throttle body, mine was returning similar MPG and asthmatic even for a 108hp engine until I cleaned it out, the venturi was down to the size of one on a lwanmower.

It was shaking on switch off which brought me to the problem, throttle valve AKA anti-shudder valve, I thought the DMF was going.

Car was much livelier and responsive afterwards, as much as an 108hp version can be but fuel consumption decreased massively.

sorry for any typos

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Carlston said:

Jack up the front left wheel and see if the wheel turns freely by hand.

You could also start the engine to get the power assisted brakes working and press the front brake pedal firmly, and then release the front brake pedal. Now see if the front left wheel turns freely by hand. It sounds like you might have a sticking brake caliper on that wheel.

Dropped it up to the mechanic for a look. 
It got very hot on the motorway yesterday, front left and a back left less so.

Pulled into the service station and pumped the brakes/ handbrake. Wasn’t near as warm after that and very little on return journey. 

18 hours ago, toot said:

Since the car has done 10,000 miles in 5 months and those were winter months servicing is due.

Post winter, including brakes, maybe a brake fluid change if no record of the last change. 

Air filter inspected and cleaned or replaced, fuel filter replaced maybe, Oil & filter, Haldex serviced properly and maybe even the rear diff oil changed.

main dealer serviced 5000 miles ago and full main dealer service history on it. Only 1000 done since on this set. 215 60 16 on it beforehand. Haldex due in another 10/15k miles.

Easy to open the airbox and see the condition of the airfilter and if the Main Dealer Servicing is worth it and do they actually check stuff like the Air Filter if not scheduled for a change because of Main Dealer Servicing. Or as it should be known, lack of much done at services.  ? Does an airfilter show on an invoice? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just and update. Local mechanic took a look couldn’t see much catching that day. No improvement with dipetane and new air filter. Jacked it up myself as was getting quite hot some of the days. Brake is not releasing fully vs right as far as I can see.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Improved since getting a new caliper. About 35.5mpg which is probably closer to 37 I’m assuming given the increased tyre size of the 215/65 r16 vs the originals.

Still not great given I’m taking it fairly handy.