whistling, vibrating sound

I have recently experienced a sort of whistling, vibrating, or ringing sound which seems to come from the front right side of my car. I hear it both when standing still and when driving. It does not go away when the engine is warm. Does anyone know what it might be? Maybe something with the ventilation system?

Edited by jobjor

it does seem to be highest when the car is rolling and i dont press the accelerator. Pressing the brake or accelerator will in many cases make it reduce or go away. It also seems to change when i turn the steering wheel. But like i said, i can hear it when standing still, so it doest seem to be anything with the wheels.

On 01/05/2023 at 12:19, ords said:

Does it go away when you turn off the ventilation system?

yeah, apparently it is a bearing in my AC fan!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jobjor said:

yeah, apparently it is a bearing in my AC fan!

Is this easy to fix myself? Could anyone help me with a link to a video showing this? Is it easier to just replace the entire fan?

• 1 month later...

I have decided to replace the AC fan myself and buy a new one online. How do I know which one to get? 

I went on one the major car parts sites for the norwegian market and typed in AC fan and my plate number. The search yielded several hits on different fans for different prices that supposedly fit my car. How do i know which one is correct? 

Here is the link to one I think may be right. This one said "with internal regulator". Others were without. What does that mean, and should i get the one with?

https://www.skruvat.no/Kupevifte-P86230.aspx

Edited by jobjor

36 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

If you tell me the VIN number of the car I can tell you the correct genuine part number, that may help.

Yes that would be good. TMBLD9NE0G0184778

Unfortunately, you are going to have to physically look at the existing fan to fully identify it. Your VIN gives two options, which are probably not interchangeable.

If the current AC system is by Valeo, the fan will have part number 5Q1819021B, which has been superseded by 5Q1819021H.

If it is a Denso system it will have fan part number 5Q1819021A, superseded by  5Q1819021J.

You need to know which of these you have. Both ETKA pages have this in the title: "Before parts order, physical inspection of old part necessary"

On 03/07/2023 at 13:49, Breezy_Pete said:

Unfortunately, you are going to have to physically look at the existing fan to fully identify it. Your VIN gives two options, which are probably not interchangeable.

If the current AC system is by Valeo, the fan will have part number 5Q1819021B, which has been superseded by 5Q1819021H.

If it is a Denso system it will have fan part number 5Q1819021A, superseded by  5Q1819021J.

You need to know which of these you have. Both ETKA pages have this in the title: "Before parts order, physical inspection of old part necessary"

Have checked it now. Mine is the one ending with A. So that means i need a blower with the number 5Q1819021J?

Yes, or a secondhand one with exactly the same number as this one, or the part number ending J, or an aftermarket equivalent that is compatible with those part numbers.

24 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Yes, or a secondhand one with exactly the same number as this one, or the part number ending J, or an aftermarket equivalent that is compatible with those part numbers.

I have searched on a couple different auto part sites for that number now, and found a matching one for about 150£. I also found one that is supposed to match my car (based on licence plate number) at only half the price, but not the same part number. The cheap one is labeled "with internal regulator", while the most expensive one with matching number says "without internal controller". On some sites this was called "turtallsregulator" which translates to speed controller or rpm regulator. What does that mean? Is that something I dont need since it is not there on the matching number blower?

The third (rear) image here Heater Motor Škoda 5Q1819021J (skoda-parts.com) suggests that a genuine fan will come without the speed control module, which appears to be separable, and fit in the approximately rectangular hole

The speed control module is part number 5Q0907521D for your car (superseded by suffix E now).

I would imagine you will want to swap it across from the old fan, assuming that the speed control aspect is working OK?

10 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

The third (rear) image here Heater Motor Škoda 5Q1819021J (skoda-parts.com) suggests that a genuine fan will come without the speed control module, which appears to be separable, and fit in the approximately rectangular hole

The speed control module is part number 5Q0907521D for your car (superseded by suffix E now).

I would imagine you will want to swap it across from the old fan, assuming that the speed control aspect is working OK?

i believe the speed control is working correctly, the reason im replacing it is because of a whistling sound that according to my local Skoda dealer probably was a worn bearing in the blower motor.

• Like 1

the link you sent said"This part fits LHD (left-hand drive) vehicles only ". Does that mean cars with the steering wheel on the left side or cars that drive on the left side of the road?

9 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Steering wheel on the left side. 👍

Excellent. Thank you for your help good sir, I will order that one, hopefully it will fit like a glove!

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, jobjor said:

little update here, I replaced the blower motor and the sound is gone 👍

Anyone else read that in the voice of Barry Scott? 🤣

No, he wasn't shouting enough, it needed to be in capitals and bold text!