Cambelt /toothed belt on a 2.0L 150hp TDI Euro6

Hi Guys, I'm going to see another Superb today with 137,000 miles on the clock. I currently have no idea if the cambelt and water pump have been done or not. Can anyone tell me what the intervals are for the cambelt and water pump changes in terms of miles / time please?

3 hours ago, Graham Butcher said:

Hi Guys, I'm going to see another Superb today with 137,000 miles on the clock. I currently have no idea if the cambelt and water pump have been done or not. Can anyone tell me what the intervals are for the cambelt and water pump changes in terms of miles / time please?

This is just what I've been finding out. It looks like the Skoda schedule is 140000 miles or 5 years. Whichever comes first 👍😁👍

Not cheap to have done at dealer. I've seen £850?

• Like 1

Pretty sure in the handbook it's 210,000 kilometers which is just over 130,000 miles in old money or 5 years which ever comes first. Definitely time to change it if it's not been done.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sheriff said:

Pretty sure in the handbook it's 210,000 kilometers which is just over 130,000 miles in old money or 5 years which ever comes first. Definitely time to change it if it's not been done.

That figure seems much higher than it is for the MkII model. Is there any quick way to see if the belt has been done at all?

Only way to tell really is to check service history.

See my thread called service. It's about vam belt as well.

You will see my extensive main dealer service history with no cam belt change. It looks like 140000 is the number for it.

• Like 1

I've just rung my main dealer and he said 5 years or 120000 miles.

Apparently, of I thing the service department on Tuesday they will be able to tell me if it's been done. Mine has only been looked after by main dealer so that's okay for me.

• Like 1

Skoda recommends cambelt change every 210000 km without time limit TDI engines on Mk3
I had this confirmed by the workshop manager of my local dealer.

Edited by Bap33
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

It's 5 years or 120/130 or even 140k miles for UK; there is no specific time interval and 210k kms for rest of the European countries..  And less mileage intervals for dust-rich countries but I don't recall exact numbers.

Anyway, I bet that cambelt is due on this car based on UK recommendations, but it's worth checking its service history.

23 hours ago, Currymunster said:

I've just rung my main dealer and he said 5 years or 120000 miles.

Apparently, of I thing the service department on Tuesday they will be able to tell me if it's been done. Mine has only been looked after by main dealer so that's okay for me.

I have managed to download a service manual for the mkIII and it states every 120,000km in the UK (Sales Market Area A) but does not state a time limit at all? 120,000 km equates back to 74,566 miles.

I'm not sure, I would trust the no time limit, as the belts must deteriorate over time?

1 hour ago, Bap33 said:

Skoda recommends cambelt change every 210000 km without time limit TDI engines on Mk3
I had this confirmed by the workshop manager of my local dealer.

Don't believe what you are being told then, that only applies in countries which ball into sales areas B and C, France is firmly in sales area A, same as the UK so that means 120,000 km or 74,566 miles with no time limit, that time limit I wouldn't trust though.

22 hours ago, Crasher said:

The Skoda Digital Service System says 240000 km or twenty years, not sure if I am that brave…

According to the Skoda Service manual (official one), in the UK it is 120,000 km or 74,566 miles, it makes no mention of the time though.

• Confused 1

57 minutes ago, fr1nklyn said:

It's 5 years or 120/130 or even 140k miles for UK; there is no specific time interval and 210k kms for rest of the European countries..  And less mileage intervals for dust-rich countries but I don't recall exact numbers.

Anyway, I bet that cambelt is due on this car based on UK recommendations, but it's worth checking its service history.

According to the dealer, this car has recently had its belt replaced.

Do not follow that information or it could end up in tears, the attached document clearly shows that Bulgaria is in the sales area as the UK, and it clearly shows that the mileage should be 120,000 km or 74,566 miles for a TDI engine, I think the figures quoting are for a petrol engine. Not too sure why petrol engines should have a such a long life on their belts, does anyone have any ideas?

D4B80513C2A-Maintenance.pdf

Edited by Graham Butcher

46 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

I'm not sure, I would trust the no time limit, as the belts must deteriorate over time?

I agree.

Anyway I had it done at 62000 km and 46 months on my TDI190 because of coolant pump starting to fail and risk of having overtemperature.

Wayyyy sooner than the recommended 210000 km…😡

Edited by Bap33
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Graham Butcher said:

According to the dealer, this car has recently had its belt replaced.

Do not follow that information or it could end up in tears, the attached document clearly shows that Bulgaria is in the sales area as the UK, and it clearly shows that the mileage should be 120,000 km or 74,566 miles for a TDI engine, I think the figures quoting are for a petrol engine. Not too sure why petrol engines should have a such a long life on their belts, does anyone have any ideas?

D4B80513C2A-Maintenance.pdf 8.02 MB · 6 downloads

It’s good that the belt has been replaced. If the pump was changed as well, that would be great! 

The interval in Bulgaria is 210k kms according to the manual of the car. 

Honestly speaking, last year the dealer said they have never seen snapped belt on this engines. (I think they said they had several 1.9 TDIs, but can’t recall)

But the water pumps do fail every now and then. Sadly even the latest revisions still fail very often.. 😕 Local garage I really trust said the same.

2 hours ago, fr1nklyn said:

It’s good that the belt has been replaced. If the pump was changed as well, that would be great! 

The interval in Bulgaria is 210k kms according to the manual of the car. 

Honestly speaking, last year the dealer said they have never seen snapped belt on this engines. (I think they said they had several 1.9 TDIs, but can’t recall)

But the water pumps do fail every now and then. Sadly even the latest revisions still fail very often.. 😕 Local garage I really trust said the same.

Have a look at the PDF file I attached a few posts up the page, it does very clearly show that the belt is 120,000 km, the engine in the Octavia is the same as the Superb I think. Yes, the water pump is also supposed to have been replaced at the same time.

• Like 1

Unfortunately different documentation is distributed in different countries.. And there the confusion comes from in the international forums :) 

(my Skoda is in my wife otherwise I would give you a picture of my book 😛 )

My dealer told me my previous car VW 150 TDI DSG (2018 MY) needed the belt changed at 210,000km/5 years. The mileage limit came up before the 5 years so I had the cambelt and water pump changed at the 131,000 mile service.  

However, the belt specification may or may not have been changed since then, seems to depend who you ask, even dealers don't seem to know for sure which always baffles me as they have the details for all vehicles available to them.

8 minutes ago, Crasher said:

@cnc with the EA288 Evo, changing the cam belt can make them run badly as a stupidly expensive timing tool is required.

Am I right in thinking the TDI EVO engine version has only been out in VWG from about 2019/2020?.

Any idea what the recommended mileage/time is for the cambelt? 

22 minutes ago, fr1nklyn said:

Unfortunately different documentation is distributed in different countries.. And there the confusion comes from in the international forums :) 

(my Skoda is in my wife otherwise I would give you a picture of my book 😛 )

I think maybe, the actual difference may be that you appear (at least as far as this forum is concerned) to be talking about an Octavia, the file I posted relates to a Superb, and it does state that Bulgaria and the UK are all in area A and therefore subject to the same servicing regime?😕

14 minutes ago, Crasher said:

@cnc with the EA288 Evo, changing the cam belt can make them run badly as a stupidly expensive timing tool is required.

I have never changed one myself, but I would have thought that if the belt was still in one piece that it should be possible to remove it without any of the pulleys being moved, so the new belt could be slipped on, and the tensioner adjusted correctly without the need for the timing tool? That I could fully understand being a must-have if the old belt had snapped or jumped teeth?

• 1 month later...

No.

You get to drive a vehicle and wear big boy or girl pants and have a vehicles serviced and maintained.

Loads never get the Manufacturers guideline or recommended or scheduled maintenance /  servicing within the manufacturers warranty period so a FMDSH means nothing, 

after that time owners need to consider what and when they want stuff done & not rely on someone somewhere else's ideas on it. 

They know nothing about who drives a vehicle or where or when and if an engine ever actually covers 120,000 miles or does that within 3 years.

575794279_Screenshot2023-03-1822_35_35.jpg.f1eafd544592c6770c8a17f54f93155c.jpg

959813611_Screenshot2023-03-0510_34_49.png.85bef5569b66a2b4526c506c3bbe7ad1.png

I've just bought a superb 2019 2.0tdi 4x4 

The mileage is 82k, the independent garage said change the belt at 120k. In my last skoda I changed it at 90k.

Is it reckless to delay changing it? 

Sorry for sounding dumb but I'm pretty useless with cars 

• Like 1