Karoq Tyres

Colchristie

7 hours ago, 6nations said:

There are many brands available but NOT with 96W XL which if ignored would require an insurance declaration.

Any thoughts.

You'd only have to declare if you move away from 215/50/18.

215/50/18 isn't that common a tyre TBH - it's mostly used by VW group. My Ateca used Brigestone Turanza 215/50/18 92W. I think that's the spec for other Karoqs as well as T-Rocs and Audi's that run 18" as well.

Just had a look at the current pricelist - the full spec isn't listed which is unusual.  My educated guess is the manufacturer couldn't supply 92W spec tyres at that particular time of the manufacturing run, so they supplied 96W. Or perhaps they produced too many 96W and wanted to get rid of them...  who knows. But it's defo unusual for a 1.5.

W means it's rated to 168mph, V means it's rated up to 149mph. Even if you were to take your karoq to a German autobahn, it's not capable of that speed. In fact if you did take your car to a German autobahn tomorrow, German law says your car must have winter tyres on, none of which are 96W XL. It's best forgetting about the load index in this case.

Current Karoq brochure:

karoq_tyre.JPG.358dab89f89a8050189fee6f281c5262.JPG

Edit - just checked the 2019 Karoq brochure which I still have. All 18" wheels were as above - 215/50/18 92W with the exception of the 2tdi 4x4 which was 95W.  If a 2.0Tdi 4x4 didn't need 96W, you can bet your last penny a 1.5 doesn't.  

Hope that helps.

Edited by kodiaqsportline

16 hours ago, Rooted said:

@6nations   it is the 96W that is the issue.  Lots of choice in 92V XL in that size.

I don't think you can get 92 XL (in the 215/50R18 size).     96 is the XL load index in that size.

FWIW our Karoq has 215/50/R18 92W's - Michelin Primacy 3's.    They need a lot of care when pulling out of damp junctions to not have them scrabbling for grip.  Wife (who normally takes no interest in cars whatsoever) has been mithering to have winter tyres fitted.

I should also add that I've dropped tyres back down to the pressure stated on the fuel flap label - 2.1 bar (30.5psi).  It seemed bonkers low - our Tiguan was 36 and daughter's Kamiq is same, so quite why Karoq is so low, I don't know.  But the cold front grip does seem better (as you'd expect).    I'm nervous about making the wheels more susceptible to pot-hole damage though.

Edited by Rory

2 minutes ago, Rooted said:

XL means reinforced sidewalls.  Check the same Speed / Load rated tyres and see ones that are XL and ones that are not.

I can't say I've ever seen that - can you link to an example?

All XL means is the tyre can be inflated to higher pressures and, at higher pressure, will suport more load.  At "normal" pressures they're actually very slightly worse than standard load tyres. 

In theory if you run XL tyres you should up the pressures slightly - but the difference is marginal.

Fabia Mk2 vRS on standard 205/40 R 17,s came from the factory with or without XL marked tyres.

There was no change in tyre pressures if the Tyres were XL. Pretty low profile really.  The Sister cars Polo, Ibiza, A1 twincharger same engines / gearboxes and 132-136 kW came on 215/40 R17,s.

Go to Black Circles or similar sites and select the Tyre Sizes and Speed / Load rating and if you want Extra Load tyres or not.

Or just search BRISKODA and Extra Load tyres. 

Screenshot 2023-12-31 11.21.50.png

Edited by Rooted

19 hours ago, Rooted said:

@6nations   it is the 96W that is the issue.  Lots of choice in 92V XL in that size.

@Carlstonwill know if you have to stay with 96W XL

As to your hopeless below 18 degrees C (UK)   do you mean below 8*oC or really mean pretty much the temp that much of the UK is at or lower much of the yea?

Goodyear Eagle F1 are a tyre pretty much like slicks when it is damp even in warm weather.

Screenshot 2023-12-30 18.56.52.png

yep typo below +8 , thanks for intel on tyres, had good experience of goodyear vectors 

20 hours ago, 6nations said:

Bridgestone Turanza ECO Enliten
215  50  R18  96W XL

I've these on a 73 plate 1.5 DSG.

Appreciate on reading in to them they are designed for max fuel mileage.

But they are hopeless below 18 degrees C (UK).

Seeking alternatives as their grip is poor to say the least.

But to replace with same size etc I've found only one brand Goodyear Eagle F1.

There are many brands available but NOT with 96W XL which if ignored would require an insurance declaration.

Any thoughts.

typo meant +8

4 hours ago, Rory said:

All XL means is the tyre can be inflated to higher pressures

Most car tyres have a maximum pressure of about 3.5 Bar. or 50 psi irrespective of XL or normal load.

It is on the side wall of the tyre.

On my 185 60 15 88H XL tyres it is 3.4 Bar.

On my 175 70 13 82T normal load tyres it is 3.5 Bar.

Thanks. AG Falco

2 hours ago, AGFalco said:

Most car tyres have a maximum pressure of about 3.5 Bar. or 50 psi irrespective of XL or normal load.

It is on the side wall of the tyre.

On my 185 60 15 88H XL tyres it is 3.4 Bar.

On my 175 70 13 82T normal load tyres it is 3.5 Bar.

Thanks. AG Falco

They're not running pressures though.

The 215/50R18 92W Michelin Primacy's on our Karoq say max pressure 51psi , and max weight 630kg.    But the 630kg rating is at 2.5 bar (36psi).

XL 96 load index versions go to 710kg at 2.9 bar (42psi).

thanks for all your time and tech info

I also approached Skoda UK (and it would seem maybe as one reply said "had they a supply chain issue" hence the 96 W XL factory fitted)

As the Skoda reply to my query was -

After reviewing the information in our system and consulting with our Technical Team, I recommend opting for the 215/50 R18 92W tyre size. Please feel free to proceed with changing the tyres to a brand of your choice as this will result in maximum efficiency.

So will probably look at either the new Bridgestone 6 or Goodyear Vector all season tyres

After reviewing the information in our system and consulting with our Technical Team, I recommend opting for the 215/50 R18 92W tyre size. Please feel free to proceed with changing the tyres to a brand of your choice as this will result in maximum efficiency.

Regarding XL tyres, has anyone come across any non XL tyres recently, they seem to be pretty rare.  I would prefer these, as although the extra sidewall reinforcement in XL tyres makes them stand up better to say scraping along kerbs, they do apparently increase car ride ride harshness.  i would rather have a less robust tyre with a nicer ride and be prepared to risk occasionally forking out for a tyre that has suffered damage.  When I was wanting to change to all weather tyres earlier last year, sadly I couldn't find any non XL ones.

I doubt whether BlackCircle information on their website can be fully trusted.  For example, the Michelin Cross Climates don't seem to be indicated as being XL, but I'm pretty sure they are.  Maybe some of the cheaper more obscure tyre makes are non XL.

9 minutes ago, croquemonsieur said:

Regarding XL tyres, has anyone come across any non XL tyres recently, they seem to be pretty rare.  I would prefer these, as although the extra sidewall reinforcement in XL tyres makes them stand up better to say scraping along kerbs, they do apparently increase car ride ride harshness.  i would rather have a less robust tyre with a nicer ride and be prepared to risk occasionally forking out for a tyre that has suffered damage.  When I was wanting to change to all weather tyres earlier last year, sadly I couldn't find any non XL ones.

I doubt whether BlackCircle information on their website can be fully trusted.  For example, the Michelin Cross Climates don't seem to be indicated as being XL, but I'm pretty sure they are.  Maybe some of the cheaper more obscure tyre makes are non XL.

hi, in my search the Bridgestone doesn't state XL https://www.bridgestone.co.uk/car-tyres/summer-tyres-turanza/turanza-all-season-6

looking at this and the Goodyear Vector Season Gen 3 is also not XL but I think I'll go with the Bridgestone as good Tyre Test by TUV SUD

Ticking 'Reinforced'  shows differently from not ticking.  

Primacy 4 & Vector 4Season XL and still comes up when you have not ticked XL.

Yokohama Geolandar not got a tick for XL.

Screenshot 2024-01-04 20.32.03.png

Screenshot 2024-01-04 20.32.41.png

Screenshot 2024-01-04 20.46.13.png

Edited by Rooted

21 hours ago, croquemonsieur said:

I wonder if, in practice, XL and non-XL are any different these days?   I recall seeing 4 ply and 6 ply belts years ago but  haven't seen any reference to that for years.   I read somewhere that Michelin, for example,  use the same carcass across many tyres and XL tyres aren't re-inforced as such.  In others words the diferent rating are more marketing than anything else.    Tyre companies surely can't make multiple speed and load rates tyres in each size?   Be interesting to compare the weight of an otherwise equal XL and non-XL tyre.

We had CrossClimates on  a Golf when they first came out and were only available as XL - the car rode far better on those than it did on the standard load Bridgestone Turanza's it came with from new.

I noted earlier the standard load 92W Michelin Primacy 3's on our Karoq say max pressure 51psi and that's around the same as others have suggested for XL tyres.

They will manufacture many combinations of speed / load rating and XL might be with the higher load / pressures but not always.

Different applications, world regions / countries.   Different depths of tread by size as well. 

Screenshot 2024-01-05 18.29.42.png

Screenshot 2024-01-05 18.31.23.png

3 hours ago, Rooted said:

They will manufacture many combinations of speed / load rating and XL might be with the higher load / pressures but not always.

Perhaps we're at cross-purposes a little - I'm wondering if (for a given size) they'll make one tyre, but mark it with the various speed and load ratings so it satisfies the demand for those.

Some tyre sizes, such as the last one in your list, 215/40R17, are only available in XL with a load index of 87 .  Some online sellers don't note all the tyres they list in that size as XL, even though they are.

6 hours ago, 6nations said:

will keep you posted as ordered

How many have you ordered?

Thanks. AG Falco

11 hours ago, kodiaqsportline said:

Given that he's changing from Summer to All-Season then it should be four.

ordered 4 (fitting  on Saturday), as you have to change them all otherwise theres no benefit plus it can be dangerous 

• Like 1

Only yesterday had a customer who ordered 2 all season CAR tyres to fit on his VAN, with summers all round on at the minute.

Thanks. AG Falco

3 hours ago, AGFalco said:

Only yesterday had a customer who ordered 2 all season CAR tyres to fit on his VAN, with summers all round on at the minute.

Thanks. AG Falco

Didn't you advice / challenge him? 

Edited by kodiaqsportline

20 hours ago, kodiaqsportline said:

Didn't you advice / challenge him? 

Yes always.

I try and ask question before they even come in.

They did swap to summers.

Thanks. AG Falco

On 09/01/2024 at 11:49, 6nations said:

ordered 4 (fitting  on Saturday), as you have to change them all otherwise theres no benefit plus it can be dangerous 

4 Bridgestone Turanza 6 all season being fitted now, tyre centre stated they could see the wear on factory fit due to low rolling resistance eg not right for car, do i take up with skoda uk and face the usual fob off customer service