Centre Armrest Extension?

KATV

Has anyone come across a suitable way of extending the centre armrest, in my current driving position my elbow just about touches the tip of the armrest. My wife who is smaller than me her elbow misses it completely.

Soon after we got the car in Jan 2012, I took the arm rest off. It got in the way of the handbrake operation, was a general pain, but made an ideal platform for my MS UK rally radios which could be fixed further back out of elbow's way! Access to the cubby box still maintained.

Never regretted doing that, personally I prefer both hands on the wheel - takes all sorts 😉

• Like 2

Surely if the armrest came forward more it would prevent getting hold of the handbrake?

I find with it fully pushed back the padding still contacts my wrist/forearm when using the handbrake. I think it should have been made to be higher.

• Like 1

The designers of cars have considerable problems when trying to set up the seating position for all shapes and sizes of drivers.

I'm not being sizist, but a car has to accommodate the tall and the short (I'm the latter) the slim (that's me again) and the increasing proportion of drivers who are overweight. If you are short in the leg (me) then you have the seat fairly well forward and possibly set higher than someone of more substantial girth.

So, opinions about how a car fits a driver are almost wholly dependent on the body dimensions of the driver. One size definitely doesn't fit all.

The relative positions of the seat, the armrest, the handbrake lever, the gear stick, the steering wheel and the pedals are all a compromise designed to fit the "average" occupant and with the best will in the world, will not please everyone.

Like the OP, I find the armrest doesn't move far enough forwards when I'm on a motorway, but when I'm driving on other roads I slide the armrest right back as I feel it gets in the way when I need to use the handbrake.

And no, I don't know of any way of extending the armrest forwards.

• Like 2

Just one last (probably!) comment on this from me ~ I presume you have adjusted the steering wheel as far towards the rear of the car as it will go?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, freedie said:

Just one last (probably!) comment on this from me ~ I presume you have adjusted the steering wheel as far towards the rear of the car as it will go?

yeah, but what if the OP has short legs ..... eeek! 😱

• Haha 1

The same unit is used in the Octavia and Yeti but should carry different names.

Padded armrest for the Octavia

Padded storage unit for the Yeti.

My cheap Ali-Express one will slide forward enough to be used as an armrest but makes it impossible to use the handbrake.