MPG Remap

Hey guys, it’s been awhile, I have recently remapped my 1.2 110 TSI hatch and have found it to be a rocket ship in comparison to what it was 🏎️🏎️🏎️. It rly rips now. Anyway, before i finally got a remap I had done a couple eco runs, one of them being Scotland and another that I don’t think I posted here.

Today with my remapped car I managed to average 74.18 MPG over 228.1 miles going to and from wales. My previous record in my car was a AVG 64.96 mpg (non remap).

This 74 mpg run was mixed driving, most of it was motorway at 55-60 but there was a 50 limit (roadworks) towards the M4 bridge and then the normal 50 limit on the other side past Cardiff.

I did some country driving and then went through the heart of Cardiff to get to the other side to try out a Greggs Outlet. I then returned and the wind was against me on my return, pushing me from side to side. 

I highly suggest getting a remap done as it completely changes the car in performance and if yr carful enough economy as well.

IMG_6160.jpeg

IMG_6163.jpeg

Edited by CY67

3 minutes ago, CY67 said:

Hey guys, it’s been awhile, but I have recently remapped my 1.2 110 TSI hatch and have found it to be a rocket ship in comparison to what it was 🏎️🏎️🏎️. It rly rips now. Anyway, before i finally got a remap I had done a couple eco runs, one of them being Scotland and another that I don’t think I posted here.

Today with my remapped car I managed to average 74.18 MPG over 228.1 miles going to and from wales. My previous record in my car was a AVG 64.96 mpg (non remap).

This 74 mpg run was mixed driving, most of it was motorway at 55-60 but there was a 50 limit (roadworks) towards the M4 bridge and then the normal 50 limit on the other side past Cardiff.

I did some country driving and then went through the heart of Cardiff to get to the other side to try out a Greggs Outlet. I then returned and the wind was against me on my return, pushing me from side to side. 

I highly suggest getting a remap done as it completely changes the car in performance and if yr carful enough economy as well.

IMG_6160.jpeg

IMG_6163.jpeg

IMG_6197.jpeg
that’s before I did 1 click at the pump. 

Edited by CY67

Excellent MPG, well done.

And the car is just about spot on with mpg too.

13.96 litres divided by 4.546 = 3.07 gallons, 228.1 miles divided by 3.07 gallons = 74.3 mpg.

• Like 1

Before you get too excited double check using a brim to brim calculation, I hope you also have one from before the remap.

The tuners rather than tell you that the cars fuel consumption figures will be optimistic because their map puts more fuel into the engine than the ECU thinks has been delivered they spin it as more power plus greater economy which aside from the flattering untruths shown on the dash display is not likely to be the case?

68 or 74mpg is superb economy from a petrol engine though!

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Before you get too excited double check using a brim to brim calculation, I hope you also have one from before the remap.

The tuners rather than tell you that the cars fuel consumption figures will be optimistic because their map puts more fuel into the engine than the ECU thinks has been delivered they spin it as more power plus greater economy which aside from the flattering untruths shown on the dash display is not likely to be the case?

Definitely drains fuel when I put my foot down. I had a look on the real time MPG and at full throttle it was showing 7 MPG whereas before it was showing more than double that under full throttle. The predicted range also shoots down.

• Like 1

Good stuff, but you were getting a display of Average 80.3 last year. 

Showing average speed of 37 mph.

& 81.2 mpg @ 39 mph.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/503738-fuel-economy

Small things can make differences.

0w 30 FS III instead of 5w 30 FS III, fresh spark plugs, fresh air filter, a few extra psi in the tyres and cooler air rather than warmer with a turbo as cooling an engine uses energy.

Talking the difference here spring / summer type weather, but then if the oil / coolant  is at temp a colder road surface has less friction / traction and the cold air is denser.

But then we are just talking 1.2 TSI's here even if they have 140ps after a remap. 

Not all E5 Super Unleaded is equal but it will meet the minimum octane.  Neither is E10 but it will also meet the minimum ron.

340214144_1384336435_Screenshot2022-01-3014_03_59.jpg.d43b66a38bf086423e31cbd1b02722b8(1).jpg.dce3a2706e11f7c315d6b050e3a54835.jpg

Edited by toot

5 minutes ago, toot said:

Good stuff, but you were getting a display of Average 81.2 last year. 

Showing average speed of 38 mph.

Wasn’t exactly a eco run this one but I recon there’s definitely room for improvement if I hadn’t gone into Cardiff. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, toot said:

@CY67what fuel are you using now, and have the spark plugs been changed last year or this?

Or the tyres?

Am using 97 Oct (Costco fuel). Just recently had mot and full service done weekend. Haven’t changed tyres yet. They’re all still Uniroyal rain sport.

Edited by CY67
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, toot said:

Good stuff, but you were getting a display of Average 80.3 last year. 

Showing average speed of 37 mph.

& 81.2 mpg @ 39 mph.

Small things can make differences.

0w 30 FS III instead of 5w 30 FS III, fresh spark plugs, fresh air filter, a few extra psi in the tyres and cooler air rather than warmer with a turbo as cooling an engine uses energy.

Talking the difference here spring / summer type weather, but then if the oil / coolant  is at temp a colder road surface has less friction / traction and the cold air is denser.

But then we are just talking 1.2 TSI's here even if they have 140ps after a remap. 

Not all E5 Super Unleaded is equal but it will meet the minimum octane.  Neither is E10 but it will also meet the minimum ron.

340214144_1384336435_Screenshot2022-01-3014_03_59.jpg.d43b66a38bf086423e31cbd1b02722b8(1).jpg.dce3a2706e11f7c315d6b050e3a54835.jpg

I was pushing it a little more then but I also didn’t fuel up after that little run from the coast as I kinda knew that my display was gonna be way off compared to the pump.

Also with the remap with my 1.2 TSI if I put my foot down (in a lower gear) then on the real time mpg display it shows 7 MPG and drains the range display 🤣🤣

I’ve got a Scotland trip planned in July overnight fully loaded, so will be interesting to see what I can get in comparison. Definitely won’t be as good as will be fully loaded and will have a couple pit stops. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 30/05/2023 at 20:39, J.R. said:

Just done a run to Scotland fully loaded and got AVG 69.48 MPG over 439.1 miles tank to tank. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CY67 said:

Just done a run to Scotland fully loaded and got AVG 69.48 MPG over 439.1 miles tank to tank. 

How much fuel in litres did you use?

Thanks. AG Falco

6 hours ago, AGFalco said:

How much fuel in litres did you use?

Thanks. AG Falco

28.69 Litres. Only cost £40 filling up at Costco E5.

• Like 1

If you're on 215/45R16 tyres, then changing to 185/60R15 would help the fuel consumption...as 30mm difference in tyre width is a lot.

The graph of the remapped 1.2TSI 110HP engine looks a lot better than a remapped 2.0TSI 245HP VRS engine, because it's got a lot of torque at low revs and a lot of power at high revs.

The graph of the remapped 2.0TSI 245HP engine shows that torque drops off rapidly below about 2,750rpm, and it's got so little top end power that it's not worth revving past about 5,250rpm.

The fuel economy of the 1.2 will also be in a different league compared to the petrol guzzling 2.0, and it looks like the road tax is only £20/year.

Then of course there's the insurance group, so it looks like a win, win, win, for the Fabia.

Edited by Carlston

6 minutes ago, Carlston said:

If you're on 215/45R16 tyres, then changing to 185/60R15 would help the fuel consumption...as 30mm difference in tyre width is a lot.

The graph of the remapped 1.2TSI 110HP engine looks a lot better than a remapped 2.0TSI 245HP VRS engine, because it's got a lot of torque at low revs and a lot of power at high revs.

The VRS engine's torque drops off rapidly below about 2,750rpm, and it's got so little top end power that it's not worth revving past about 5,250rpm.

The fuel economy of the 1.2 will also be in a different league compared to the petrol guzzling 2.0.

Then of course there's the insurance group, so it looks like a win, win, win, for the Fabia.

Im currently on 215/45R16 on some Uniroyal rain sports and want to get some eco tyres after they run out. I could get the VW polo 185/60R15 Buenos Aires rims which are an aerodynamic rim for the 1L TSI Bluemotion also there isn’t any difference in the rpm in terms of tyre height. 

19 minutes ago, Carlston said:

The graph of the remapped 2.0TSI 245HP engine shows that torque drops off rapidly below about 2,750rpm, and it's got so little top end power that it's not worth revving past about 5,250rpm.

The fuel economy of the 1.2 will also be in a different league compared to the petrol guzzling 2.0, and it looks like the road tax is only £20/year.

I also have a grill cover for my MK3 Fabia that blocks the top grill. That improves efficiency and warms it up quicker for those shorter journeys.

20 minutes ago, CY67 said:

I also have a grill cover for my MK3 Fabia that blocks the top grill. That improves efficiency and warms it up quicker for those shorter journeys.

If the thermostat is working correctly, it won't open until the engine has warmed up. So I doubt that will help. It just means that on a hot day, the engine might overheat because air is being obstructed from flowing freely through the radiator.

Edited by Carlston

36 minutes ago, Carlston said:

If the thermostat is working correctly, it won't open until the engine has warmed up. So I doubt that will help. It just means that on a hot day, the engine might overheat because air is being obstructed from flowing freely through the radiator.

The top grill from factory has half of it covered anyway. Thermostat is working and plus I’d get warnings way in advance of it overheating. Also I’ve driven in the recent heat wave with it on and it hasn’t missed a beat, the oil and temp don’t get any hotter then with it off. 

23 minutes ago, CY67 said:

The top grill from factory has half of it covered anyway. Thermostat is working and plus I’d get warnings way in advance of it overheating. Also I’ve driven in the recent heat wave with it on and it hasn’t missed a beat, the oil and temp don’t get any hotter then with it off. 

Likewise....👍

IMG_4889.JPG

Edited by Schtum

15 minutes ago, Schtum said:

Likewise....👍

IMG_4889.JPG

Beautiful shot of yr Yeti. Is that grill cover from Heko as mine is or custom?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CY67 said:

Beautiful shot of yr Yeti. Is that grill cover from Heko as mine is or custom?

Thank you, Sir.  Yes, it's a Heko one, as are the wind deflectors.  

I fitted the grill cover to do the same thing as you, i.e. get the oil temperature up more quickly.  

However, in my case, it's so that I can give it the beans sooner into a run, rather than for economy reasons. 

• Love it! 1

I commend you to read the VAG self study guide on the cooling system for your generation of engine specifically the shrouded water pump and auxiliary coolant pump and their operation in conjunction with the thermostat during the warm up period.  Also the oil to water heat exchanger circuit.

Then  you will realise that your grill blanking plates are a vanity purchase and not a sanity purchase.

They look good though!

These vehicles are massively overcooled but if the day ever comes that you need the full cooling capacity you will no longer have it. That said the bulk of the airflow through the 3 heat exchangers comes through the lower grille aperture when in motion. The aircon radiator needs the airflow through the upper grille both in motion and at standstill.

The warm up time of the engine is massively reduced compared to previous generations but even they would not have benefitted from your blanking of the grille, radiator blinds used to be sold in the 60's and they did indeed have something to offer then.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I commend you to read the VAG self study guide on the cooling system for your generation of engine specifically the shrouded water pump and auxiliary coolant pump and their operation in conjunction with the thermostat during the warm up period.  Also the oil to water heat exchanger circuit.

Then  you will realise that your grill blanking plates are a vanity purchase and not a sanity purchase.

They look good though!

These vehicles are massively overcooled but if the day ever comes that you need the full cooling capacity you will no longer have it. That said the bulk of the airflow through the 3 heat exchangers comes through the lower grille aperture when in motion. The aircon radiator needs the airflow through the upper grille both in motion and at standstill.

The warm up time of the engine is massively reduced compared to previous generations but even they would not have benefitted from your blanking of the grille, radiator blinds used to be sold in the 60's and they did indeed have something to offer then.

The oil and water temperature readings are always within acceptable limits here in sunny Scotland.  It also keeps lots of road filth out of the engine compartment and adds an extra 7.632 mph to the top speed.... 😉

Just now, Schtum said:

The oil and water temperature readings are always within acceptable limits here in sunny Scotland.  It also keeps lots of road filth out of the engine compartment and adds an extra 7.632 mph to the top speed.... 😉

Same. I’ve had my Fabia up to an unofficial 120 mph and not had any problems with temperatures. It still had more to give but had to slow down due to traffic in the far distance.