Karoq Order

Keithjock

Can I ask if people are getting discounts on their orders (over and above any PCP contribution)?

Getting mixed messages on availability of SE L - dealer rolls eyes on lead-times, but the Skoda website shows a fair number of cars at various dealers.

13 hours ago, Rory said:

Can I ask if people are getting discounts on their orders (over and above any PCP contribution)?

Getting mixed messages on availability of SE L - dealer rolls eyes on lead-times, but the Skoda website shows a fair number of cars at various dealers.

Remember the PCP contribution comes from VW Finance, the dealer discount is a completely separate thing out of their selling margin (difference between list price and the wholesale price dealer buys it for)

Some sharp talking salespeople might pretend they are linked, but getting the advertised contribution from Finance Co shouldn't affect how much margin they are prepared to share as a discount to get a sale.

If dealer is messing about rolling eyes, ask them directly which cars they have on order for stock, (stock is for sale, not yet sold, not for their own staff as playthings), no dealer has no stock (even if not physically on the premises), they are not some dark store internet fulfilment warehouse, if they were might as well be ordering online and bypassing the dealer and paying nearer wholesale price.

2 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

Remember the PCP contribution comes from VW Finance, the dealer discount is a completely separate thing out of their selling margin (difference between list price and the wholesale price dealer buys it for)

Some sharp talking salespeople might pretend they are linked, but getting the advertised contribution from Finance Co shouldn't affect how much margin they are prepared to share as a discount to get a sale.

If dealer is messing about rolling eyes, ask them directly which cars they have on order for stock, (stock is for sale, not yet sold, not for their own staff as playthings), no dealer has no stock (even if not physically on the premises), they are not some dark store internet fulfilment warehouse, if they were might as well be ordering online and bypassing the dealer and paying nearer wholesale price.

Thanks - yes I was wondering what people had got in terms of discount, although it is possible Skoda is making the dealers give up some margin.    VW did that on the Tiguan we got new in late 2015 -  but there was still another £3K off from the dealer, so ~20%, around £6K, overall.

However it doesn't seem like the same sort of discounts are available on Skoda (they stilll are on VW if you check broker etc pricing).

I'm in the slightly odd position of having given the dealer an order yesterday to get the extra 'summer sale' £1000 PCP contribution (so £2500 in total) and they're now trying to secure a car.   My order is fully cancellable, but I do want the car, and need it as quickly as possible.

I ordered a Sportline in Phoenix orange beginning of May, just been told build date is December. Dealer said probably arrive in January, asked him about the free £500 petrol voucher expires if not delivered by end of December, he couldn't answer to which I replied "that's okay, I can just reject it as broken contract and may look elsewhere " He assured me that Skoda would have to extend offer as there could be quite a few rejections. Dealers not happy at the moment!

• 3 months later...

Rainworth Skoda are advertising pre reg nominal mileage Sportlines for under £30k. Mine , bought in August, was registered in April, with 33 miles on clock, and I paid £34950!!!!

Should have waited a few months, but at least didn’t have to wait half a year for it.

1 hour ago, Choclab said:

Rainworth Skoda are advertising pre reg nominal mileage Sportlines for under £30k. Mine , bought in August, was registered in April, with 33 miles on clock, and I paid £34950!!!!

Should have waited a few months, but at least didn’t have to wait half a year for it.

I do feel we're being conned here - the leadtime on a new order is still many months, but yet there's pre-reg and nearly-new cars kicking around all over the place.   Why is that happening, and why aren't they being offered to customers who want new?

Same was true with Tiguan (we had a Tiguan before and were going to get another before my decided the mk2 is "too big").  Our local dealer had a whole bunch of cars that were a few mths old with a few K miles - for sale for more than a new one would cost with PCP discount.

Edited by Rory
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Rory said:

I do feel we're being conned here - the leadtime on a new order is still many months, but yet there's pre-reg and nearly-new cars kicking around all over the place.   Why is that happening, and why aren't they being offered to customers who want new?

Same was true with Tiguan (we had a Tiguan before and were going to get another before my decided the mk2 is "too big").  Our local dealer had a whole bunch of cars that were a few mths old with a few K miles - for sale for more than a new one would cost with PCP discount.

That makes no sense.  Conned in what way?  Pre-reg cars are used cars - they were bought by someone else and now they're being sold.

You're buying a car from a dealership, not Skoda. If your dealership doesn't have any pre-reg cars of their own, why would they offer another dealers used car when you said you wanted a new one?  

You're right - new cars can often work out better value than used cars. It all depends on 1: what incentives / bonuses the dealer has to play with so a discount can be passed on to the customer and 2: That PCP finance incentive. The dealer has no control over that. Just means they'll be paid by a bank rather than you. Nobody is being conned.

Don't know what spec those pre-reg cars are but DriveTheDeal broker is advertising brand new 1.5tsi Sportline in Orange for:

List price: £35505

Discount price including PCP contribution: £29772

Which potentially makes it a better deal than Rainworth's pre-reg. What it does indicate though is the potential discounts on offer from every Skoda dealer.

Choclab hit the nail on the head tho, sometimes It's not all about money and as long as the customer was happy with the deal, that's all that ever matters.

Edited by kodiaqsportline

15 minutes ago, kodiaqsportline said:

That makes no sense.  Conned in what way?  Pre-reg cars are used cars - they were bought by someone else and now they're being sold.

You're buying a car from a dealership, not Skoda. If your dealership doesn't have any pre-reg cars of their own, why would they offer another dealers used car when you said you wanted a new one?  

As best I can gather (from both Skoda and VW, which makes sense, as, after all, it's the same company) these cars aren't "bought by someone else" they're registered by VW Group UK for various reasons. 

One VW dealer told me they're hire cars - but which rental firms have fleets of Tiguan R-Lines?   Skoda dealer told me they're staff cars - might be true but I've seen employee comments that they're being forced to keep cars for much longer than usual so it doesn't make sense that there's cars a few mths old kicking around.    Another told me Skoda puts cars into certain fleets for short terms in order to generate nearly-new cars - when looking for the Karoq we bought they had three incoming from one such source, all with around 5K miles on them.

17 hours ago, Choclab said:

I know you can't assume you're being told the truth, but did they give you a story about why the car was registered?  Seems unlikely someone bought it, did about 27 miles in it then decided it wasn't for them!

I assume that when the V5 arrives for these pre-registered cars, it shows that the purchaser is the second owner. This may have some effect on the second-hand value, and also can affect insurance as the first owner often gets more cover than a second owner. This use to be full replacement value during the first year rather than current market value. One advantage of buying pre-registered may be that, as the car has to be taxed on each change of ownership, the new owner doesn't have to pay the large first year VED, and only has to pay the standard £180.

3 hours ago, Routemaster1461 said:

I assume that when the V5 arrives for these pre-registered cars, it shows that the purchaser is the second owner. This may have some effect on the second-hand value, and also can affect insurance as the first owner often gets more cover than a second owner. This use to be full replacement value during the first year rather than current market value. One advantage of buying pre-registered may be that, as the car has to be taxed on each change of ownership, the new owner doesn't have to pay the large first year VED, and only has to pay the standard £180.

Yes, you'll be the second owner.  In my case, I'm actually the third.  The dealer had registered the car to themselves when they got it as they intended to put it on the road for their own use, but I bought it.  The salesman didn't realise that had happened and I only found out by doing my own VCheck.  They offered us our deposit back but instead we had a further "discussion" about the price so got it for a price that was somewhat less horrendous than we first agreed.

We usually keep our cars for some years so I wsn't too concrned , and I checked on WBAC how much difference 2 vs 3 owners makes and it was £100.

I did buy (online) RTI GAP - first time I've ever bought GAP, but I'm sure that the "market value" will plummet vs what I paid as the market continues to soften.

The tax is an interesting point - as I've only bought new cars for many years, and the tax is rolled into the OTR price, it simply never occured to me that I'd have to pay for the tax on collection - that was a somewhat unwelcome £180!   One of the Tiguan R-Lines that we looked at had leather and elec seats - it was shown with the price of something like £39950 crossed out and offered at a slightly reduced price.  I assumed the £39950 was the original list price but turned out it was an over £40K car so the high tax (£500+) would have been payable for 5yrs.   The salesman said they'd only just got the car in and couldn't explain twhat the crossed out price related to.

Edited by Rory

These cars (there were six when I selected the one I bought), were all around 33 miles, and registered to the dealer. I usually only buy pre reg by dealer cars, and never lost money on trade in. Different if car 

been used as demo or staff runabout, but these only have factory/delivery mileage.

Not aware of any new Karoq being introduced, unlike new Kodiaq, but that is often when these deals appear.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Choclab said:

These cars (there were six when I selected the one I bought), were all around 33 miles, and registered to the dealer. I usually only buy pre reg by dealer cars, and never lost money on trade in. Different if car 

been used as demo or staff runabout, but these only have factory/delivery mileage.

Not aware of any new Karoq being introduced, unlike new Kodiaq, but that is often when these deals appear.

Interesting - thanks.

Who knows what goes on behind the scenes but you have to wonder why, if the lead-time is many months on new Karoq, why didn't Skoda direct those car to customers waiting for new ones?   It really looks like they register them  so they become "used" and they're therefore removed from  the PCP contribution and new car discount arena, so they can sell them for higher prices.

I'm afraid that if you paid £35K a few mths ago for a car now available for under £30K, then your trade-in price when the time comes won't be pretty.   I'm expected the same with mine - hence I bought RTI GAP jut in case the worst happens in the next 3yrs.

I didn’t go the PCP route, but good old HP over two years. This got me the wonderful bonus of two FREE services, but I expect the first will be due 12 months after registration, rather than from date of my purchase, which happened with my Octavia. My trade in was valued way over WBAC offer, so well pleased.