Superb Sportline shock replacement.

Hi all,

I know there are loads of threads on here about this and I've read most of them but all that has done is confuse me even more !!

I have a 2018 Sportline hatch 220 petrol. It feels very wallowy compared to my previous Octavia VRS 245 and I would like to try and sort it out of possible.

I dont want to lower the car as I sometimes go onto building sites with rough car parks and I also like how it looks at stock height.

What I want to try and do it firm it up a bit (ok a lot) and try and control some of the wallowy and loose feeling it has. I've read so much about the Koni Special active dapmers being goof for this but then read they don't last long. Then I've read about Bilstien B6 being slightly firmer and good as an alternative.

Plan is to keep the car for at least 3 years plus so dont mind spending on decent kit that will last. I think I also need to replace  the top mounts at the same time as I have some slight low speed knocking at the moment too.

What are peoples thoughts? are the SA lasting now or still an unknown quantity? Should I go for the B6? I reckon I can change the rears my self to keep cost down and then get someone to do the fronts?

Any recommendations on top mounts to use?

Thanks all.

due Bilstein parts shortage in 2021.

i had to install Eibach Pro springs on the rear axle of 220ps few months earlier than Bilstein B6 DampTronic shocks
that gave me conclusion, the most, 65% of performance improvement, came from stiffer Eibach Pro springs

-> https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/485647-bilstein-b6-dcc-shock-absorbers-available-at-last/page/4/#comment-5697843

perfect stiffness without lowering

Eibach Pro F11-85-043-02-FA front (from weightier Audi Q2)
Eibach Pro F11-79-008-01-HA rear (from weightier Superb 4x4)
Bilstein B6 DampTronic 23-254343 front

Bilstein B6 DampTronic 20-267537 rear

2022.09.30 (one week after install rear shocks)

MY16 2.0 TSI 220ps DCC FWD

581922138_220930_Bilstein_B6_Eibach_Pro_frontrear_ED.thumb.jpg.ff1c0c4ca3473b54d26ad90287f8fa87.jpg

I have B6s (though mine is not a sport line) on standard springs - chose these over the special actives because of the reliability concerns you mention. 

The B6s I would describe as firm but not harsh. I had a Octavia vRS before and I think my Superb now feels a bit firmer though it's hard to remember exactly. The wallowy feeling and pogo style bounce over speed bumps is gone and it feels much more stable 'making progress' on bumpy windy roads as well as less lean on roundabouts and slip roads. 

No complaints from wife or 4 year old and baby sleeps fine! 

I find the car much more enjoyable to drive and safer from being more stable. 

Hope that helps 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vidmor said:

I have B6s (though mine is not a sport line) on standard springs - chose these over the special actives because of the reliability concerns you mention. 

The B6s I would describe as firm but not harsh. I had a Octavia vRS before and I think my Superb now feels a bit firmer though it's hard to remember exactly. The wallowy feeling and pogo style bounce over speed bumps is gone and it feels much more stable 'making progress' on bumpy windy roads as well as less lean on roundabouts and slip roads. 

No complaints from wife or 4 year old and baby sleeps fine! 

I find the car much more enjoyable to drive and safer from being more stable. 

Hope that helps 

So it looks like there's no need to change the springs to remove the wallowy feeling and pogo style bounce on the Superb MK3...just fit B6s.

Do your B6s have DCC (electronic suspension control)? The reason I ask, is because according to the information on autodoc, the B6s with DCC are a different type to the B6s without DCC. Surprisingly given the much higher price, the B6s with DCC appear to be of an inferior design, ie. the inferior twin-tube design versus the superior single-tube/mono-tube design.

Bilstein B6 shock absorbers (for Superb MK3)

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/shock-absorber-10221/skoda/superb/superb-3v3/112394-2-0-tdi?supplier[0]=16 https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/shock-absorber-10221/skoda/superb/superb-3v3/112394-2-0-tdi?supplier[0]=16

Edited by Carlston

1 hour ago, Carlston said:

So it looks like there's no need to change the springs to remove the wallowy feeling and pogo style bounce on the Superb MK3...just fit B6s.

Do your B6s have DCC (electronic suspension control)? The reason I ask, is because according to the information on autodoc, the B6s with DCC are a different type to the B6s without DCC. Surprisingly given the much higher price, the B6s with DCC appear to be of an inferior design, ie. the inferior twin-tube design versus the superior single-tube/mono-tube design.

Bilstein B6 shock absorbers (for Superb MK3)

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/shock-absorber-10221/skoda/superb/superb-3v3/112394-2-0-tdi?supplier[0]=16 https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/shock-absorber-10221/skoda/superb/superb-3v3/112394-2-0-tdi?supplier[0]=16

Mine is non-DCC so they are mono-tube. 

I'm certainly no engineer but suspect putting stiffer dampers on is a blunt instrument - it might be considered overdamped? However it works for me as described above and insurance company were fine with upgraded dampers but I suspect lowering on upgraded springs is more of an issue. 

There are also the mono-tube advantages (eg heat dissipation, less aeration and absorption of smaller inputs). 

I'd really like to try a set up properly optimised for UK roads one day, eg a Lotus or something Richard Parry-Jones was involved with. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Parry-Jones

On 27/6/2023 at 12:01, Vidmor said:

Tengo B6 (aunque el mío no es una línea deportiva) en resortes estándar; los elegí sobre los activos especiales debido a las preocupaciones de confiabilidad que menciona. 

Los B6 los describiría como firmes pero no duros. Antes tenía un Octavia vRS y creo que mi Superb ahora se siente un poco más firme, aunque es difícil recordarlo exactamente. La sensación de revolcarse y el rebote estilo pogo sobre los badenes se ha ido y se siente mucho más estable 'progresando' en caminos ventosos y llenos de baches, así como menos inclinado en rotondas y vías de acceso. 

¡No tengo quejas de mi esposa ni de mi hijo de 4 años y el bebé duerme bien! 

El coche me parece mucho más agradable de conducir y más seguro al ser más estable. 

Espero que ayude 

You made a good choice, unlike me with the Koni SA.

• Sad 1