Yeti Diesel Power

SwampMonster

Hello all,

I have a 61 plate Yeti Elegance 4x4 diesel. 

Are there any tell  tale signs of how i can tell what power my 1968cc engine is?

I've Never known and although it's 1968cc, it always seems quite sluggish. 

Am I right in thinking there are 3 powers? 109bhp, a second and 148bhp.

Am sure my docs only say 1968cc

Any advice would be greatly recieved!

Jason

2 hours ago, SwampMonster said:

Hello all,

Are there any tell  tale signs of how i can tell what power my 1968cc engine is?

Jason

110, 140 and 170 PS in the pre-facelift and early facelift cars.  The later facelift Euro 6 cars were 110 and 150 PS.  

• Love it! 1

6 minutes ago, SwampMonster said:

Thanks for taking the time to reply! :biggrin: I'll have to have look!

I had heard something about the colouring of the 4x4 on the rear hatch denoting the power?!

Yes, I don't know how reliable it is across all the year models but certainly, at one point 4x4 denoted a 170 TDI.  

10 hours ago, Schtum said:

at one point 4x4 denoted a 170 TDI.

Did you forget the colour code?

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Did you forget the colour code?

No.  I see a red x. Don't you...? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Schtum said:

No.  I see a red x. Don't you...? 

I do now, I didn't then!!!

9 hours ago, Frenchtone said:

Mine, a pre FL Adventure 140 has a red I and a red x

A red l ?

Where the ell is the l in 4x4?

Mine was a 110hp and felt like about 80, the badge says 4x4

17 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Where the ell is the l in 4x4?

I think he means the "I" in TDI; ISTR that that was another part of the 'secret' colour-coding that Skoda used back in the day.  Apart from anything else, they had to have something they could use instead of the "x" if the cars wasn't a 4x4 (on the 110PS versions - IIRC* the 140 and 170 were always 4x4).

* Which happens increasingly rarely these days, so please feel free to correct me.

Neither the 140 nor the 170 should feel sluggish, and even the 110 should be responsive at lower speeds, only feeling slightly underpowered when trying to accelerate from a higher speed (say, 60 mph plus).  Their torque figures are broadly similar.

It might be worth checking for any leaking hoses in the turbo/intercooler system since that can cause sluggishness.  No doubt there are many other causes, especially if the mileage is high.

Ah, silly me, that makes complete sense, my MK1 Octavia had a red i in the badge, maybe the reason I did not connect was the use of the upper case I.

Frenchtones vehicle is a 4x4 I think so why does his have the red letter on the TDi? Is it that prefacelifts had both the TDi and the 4x4 badges and facelift models only the 4x4 badge?

Maybe before getting caught out on Dieselgate VAG thought it prudent not to identify the fuel used in their vehicles!

Mine was sluggish because of a clagged up intake tract from the EGR post Emissions Fix but it really struggled to overtake even after, having the close spaced ratios of the extra gear compared to my previous PD engine made it feel very nippy through the gears but that gave a false impression, you woul think you had the power for a 3rd gear or 4th gear overtake but end up with brown trousers.

It has been transformed by a remap to an alleged 184hp, I reckon its the standard VAG 170 map.

if it is 2wd it must be a 110? You can get rare examples of a 110 4wd but they are even more sluggish than the 110 2wd?

I had a 2wd 110, and my wifes diesel fabia at the time was much faster accelerating!

• Confused 1

On 06/07/2023 at 20:24, SwampMonster said:

Hello all,

Jason

Check the white build code label under the carpet in the spare wheel well area. This will show whether it's the 81kW, 103kw, or 125kW engine.

Yeti 2.0TDI Euro 5 engines

81kW/110PS/250Nm

103kW/140PS/320Nm

125kW/170PS/340Nm

Yeti

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Škoda_Yeti

Edited by Carlston

I think my 110ps Yeti Elegance Outdoor 2wd diesel performed very well, solo it was very quick and it pulled my Bailey Orion really well.

Edited by gumdrop

On 08/07/2023 at 12:55, kenfowler3966 said:

if it is 2wd it must be a 110? You can get rare examples of a 110 4wd but they are even more sluggish than the 110 2wd?

4WD 81kw engine.

What does the second question mark signify, are you questioning your statement?

It was very sluggish when the power was needed, otherwise on part throttle it zipped through the gears with ease but that was because of low and close ratios, a 2WD version would have to be slightly quicker.