Fabia MK1 ABS Pump - Where to buy recon or new?

22 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Drilled mine out, and used push in thingies that allowed for a screw thread... I completely forget the name of em.

Rivnuts?

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads-up on checking the year. I think I will get a new reg from Ebay. I am not sure what you mean by a new lock module? When I look it up, it seems to be the motor for the wing mirror. Is that right?

No, the thing at the back edge of the door, behind the regulator panel, that has motor and mechanism that does the locking and unlocking of the door. 

It's a judgement call whether to replace, if it failed the day after fitting new regulator panel you'd be gutted, especially if re-rivetted on. On the other hand, the present one may last fine.

22 hours ago, TMB said:

Rivnuts?

Potentially. I shall take a photo of the boxes of what I used.

At the moment, with the new doors going on, I'm about to have three doors that have screwed in regulators, and one that's still rivets... :D

• Like 2

19 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Potentially. I shall take a photo of the boxes of what I used.

These are what I used. Cannot remember for the life of me where they came from, though.

20230712_184152.thumb.jpg.eba7cce178eb28ae8302b5313b55ae06.jpg

Drilled rivets out, and replaced them with these and self-tapping screws. No issues so far.

M6 Rivnuts. And you'll need a proper tool to set them. Probably best to use aluminium Rivnuts as the steel ones need a lot of force to set. Sealey Rivnut tool AK3984 is an example of a decent tool. There are smaller tools that look like a pop rivet gun but they may be hard work or may not work at all.

Edited by TMB

As I only have this job to do, I was hoping to avoid buying the tool if possible. There are a number of people using these kinds of methods, according to YT. I would use Deon's first method 

• Love it! 1

• 4 weeks later...

The rivets are on the way out.

The National 'engineer' that changed the glass previously ditched all of the grommets, which explains why there's more road noise from the passenger side.

I guess that will be a duck tape job. 

IMG_20230811_160634.jpg

• 2 months later...

Sorry all for reviving an old thread but seemed better than making a new one. 

I am also looking to replace the regulator and was looking at the choice of using rivnuts, with the slight space away from the door with the rivnuts does it not cause any problems with the regulator at all? Does it cause any issues with the window going down/ up and such?