Timing chain

Hi there

I want to ask about a trick mechanic are doing in my country to prevent timing chain skipping in fabia 2 in case Hydraulic control chain tensioner failure due to low oil pressure by adding a piece of metal to work as a stopper for Tensioning rail as you can see in the picture

Screenshot_2023-07-08-21-14-03-53_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12~2.jpg

31 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Nice idea.

Perhaps a limiter like this is something VAG should have fitted originally, rather than relying solely on hydraulic pressure. 

When tensioners have a ratchet mechanism there it still allows some degree of fore and aft movement for chain oscillation and to reduce wear on the chain guide pads, the one shown would work but should be carefully set to allow clearance and would need adjustment throughout the life of the vehicle to remain effective.

But I do agree its a good idea and applaud the guy!

It's several hours of work to remove and replace the chain cover, so not going to get adjusted unless by a wildly bored retired mechanic, and TBH they wouldn't have a car with one of these engines. :D

• 4 weeks later...