Need support for Octavia MK3 1.4 TSI (CZDA) timing belt replacement

Hi guys, apologies if similar topic was ever started and I did not find it to follow.

I've just bought my Octavia 3 combi few days ago, and among others, want to replace timing belt, water pump and ribbed belt in my car - as reaching 190k km soon -, but I'm not kind of expert of these things. Therefore, I asked 3-4 (brand independent) services nearby to get quotation for.

I've preliminary checked these parts online to get a bit of view of potential cost, and interestingly, the quotations I've got (that include part cost only, without article numbers ...) are 2-3x higher compared to my research.

As written above, I'm not a car guru, so the article numbers I found may not the correct ones even though I used car-specific online catalogue that eventually showed many offers from the same manufacturer.

Here are my findings:

- timing belt with water pump included -> Gates KP1TH15680XS-2 GAT/Q

- ribbed belt kit -> INA 529 0159 10 INA/RT

(Btw, what do last digits mean in article numbers? 'Q' and 'RT' or see attached photo with 'AC' and 'E'.)

I'd appreciate your support on this, and thank you for your time and patience.

Cheers,

Adam

IMG_20230726_094102.jpg

Why would you change the water pump when doing a cambelt change on a 1.4TSI?

AFAIK from having owned an Octavia with a 1.4TSI CHPA engine the water pump is on the opposite end of the engine on the EA211, and is not known to be a problem...

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

AFAIK from having owned an Octavia with a 1.4TSI CHPA engine the water pump is on the opposite end of the engine on the EA211, and is not known to be a problem...

Agree with Dave, it's the TDI that requires water pump replacement with the timing belt change. 

• Like 2

Thank you for your responses, I heard the same, that pump is on the opposite side and no need to change, but also been told that it usually gives up around 100k km. (According to the service history I got to my car pump broke down at 104k km.) 

In case changing only cambelt, what's your recommendation to use? (May I ask you to provide article number? So I can check them locally.)

4 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

3 hours ago, Warrior193 said:

Agree with Dave, it's the TDI that requires water pump replacement with the timing belt change. 

The Gates part number for a czda is KP1TH15680XS-2 which is all 3 of the ones in your picture, so I’m guessing that the GAT/Q, GAT/AC etc is something to do with the ribbed belt or serpentine belt that seems to be included in those kits. 
I had to change the water pump on mine and I bought a genuine one from the local Skoda dealer, more expensive but it was the correct part, came with a new belt and included the plastic housings and thermostats.

As for recommendations I use genuine Skoda personally, my local dealer parts department is good, I’ve just had so much bad experience with wrong parts from independent places I’d rather pay the extra.

If I was buying a timing belt from somewhere I’d stick with Continental, Gates or Dayco. I believe Continental supply the belts to VAG group factories.

There is a whole further question as to the need to change the all these parts, but that is up to you. 

• Like 1