mpg

Hi,Mine ranges depending on use.Usually between 40ish to mid fifties.If i keep speed down it can go up to  early 60.s This has been the most economical car i have owned so far.I do a lot of town driving,so stop /start with some dual carriageway thrown in.Cheers Andy

• Thanks 1

Getting low to mid 50's with urban driving. Longer trips on 'A' roads getting high 50's.  Haven't done any long motorway trips yet, but reckon 60+ should be achievable.

Really pleased with the mpg.  

• 7 months later...

I just bought the 2024 MPI (non turbo) Fabia.

Expected MPG obviously depends on driving style and how much extra urban and at what speed you drive it, but my driving is almost entirely on the A69 from Brampton area to Newcastle a couple of times a week. I am driving it at 55-60 miles an hour, partly because it is very new (750 miles now) and I am running it in, and also because on the mostly single carriageway A road you can't overtake the trucks unless you want to risk a head on crash. Going west to east on this 40 mile run, I am seeing about 64 mpg and the other way 58 mpg. I've done the trip about 8 times now and that's what I am getting. Quite pleased with that. The old 1400TDI I got rid of after 14 years, used to get about 63 mpg in the winter and about 68 in summer on the west to east trip and about 60 on the east to west trip. The difference is down to the prevailing westerly wind I think. 

Edited by tony1951

After recently getting out of a mk4 1.0tsi 110 into a 1.5tsi I knew that it would affect my consumption. On a drive from Stoke to Cheshire Oaks yesterday (50ish miles, M6, M56) I saw 53mpg average going there and on the way back (which was a little more spirited) was 49mpg, so really happy with that.

I know my previous 1.0tsi 110 would've been around 50-56mpg. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluntsteakknife said:

After recently getting out of a mk4 1.0tsi 110 into a 1.5tsi I knew that it would affect my consumption. On a drive from Stoke to Cheshire Oaks yesterday (50ish miles, M6, M56) I saw 53mpg average going there and on the way back (which was a little more spirited) was 49mpg, so really happy with that.

I know my previous 1.0tsi 110 would've been around 50-56mpg. 

It's amazing how much more economical cars have become. My first car in 1973, an 859cc Morris 1000 used to average about 35 mpg! Later, 1600cc Fords used to do about 24mpg. I had a Lancia Beta in the 1970s that used to do 20 - 24 mpg. I won't go into the 2.5 litre petrol landrover series 2..... I saw 12mpg quite often on that bugger.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tony1951 said:

It's amazing how much more economical cars have become. My first car in 1973, an 859cc Morris 1000 used to average about 35 mpg! Later, 1600cc Fords used to do about 24mpg. I had a Lancia Beta in the 1970s that used to do 20 - 24 mpg. I won't go into the 2.5 litre petrol landrover series 2..... I saw 12mpg quite often on that bugger.

Oh 100%, When I started driving in 2001, the fuel price was so reasonable I never needed to keep an eye on mpg. 

That was until I got a Golf VR6. Mid 20's mpg was frightening, even hit 8mpg at one point!

How manufacturers are able to do what they do nowadays is pretty fantastic

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bluntsteakknife said:

Oh 100%, When I started driving in 2001, the fuel price was so reasonable I never needed to keep an eye on mpg. 

That was until I got a Golf VR6. Mid 20's mpg was frightening, even hit 8mpg at one point!

How manufacturers are able to do what they do nowadays is pretty fantastic

I had a Rover SD1 in  the  early 80s 3.5 litre V8 luckily the price of a Gallon was less than the price of a litre nowadays. about 10-12mpg round town

Another development has been output.. that V8 produced only 153hp but funnily enough the car weighed less than many cars today for what was a big car think it was less than 1400kg

Computerised fuel injection and associated electronics has been the driving force in improving fuel consumption. It is a truism to say so because it is so obvious, but there we are. When your ECU can precisely inject micro litres of fuel per stroke, and also control the spark timing, all with precision feedback from sensors in the exhaust, the story only goes one way in comparison to the mechanical ignition advance and the gulping carburetors of old. My old Lancia Beta in the seventies, had a big fat twin choke Weber carb and it just hosed the petrol down into the inlet manifold. Mind you - that car, for its time, had startling performance. I once drove it at 90 all the way through France. I think we stopped quite often to fill it up again mind.

Edited by tony1951
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 18/03/2024 at 12:19, tony1951 said:

It's amazing how much more economical cars have become. My first car in 1973, an 859cc Morris 1000 used to average about 35 mpg! Later, 1600cc Fords used to do about 24mpg.

Funnily enough I had a Moggy Minor 948cc but that was more economical than 35mpg - more like 40+ but it did a lot of longish runs .  Various Fords were awful though MKII Cortina 1300cc(pre crossflow) was mid 20's mpg and with a mkIv 3.0l Zodiac you had to turn it off filling up to stop gaining on them!  One surprise was a 76 Datsun 100a which did over 50mpg on a run - it was a great car except for the dreaded rust. 

• Like 2

^^^ Running Leaded petrol of whatever grade and getting oil changes at a lot less miles than most of them these days.  (Cheaper though.)

Spark Plugs replaced more often with some, but again at 'much cheapness' compared to now. 

16 minutes ago, Rooted said:

^^^ Running Leaded petrol of whatever grade and getting oil changes at a lot less miles than most of them these days.  (Cheaper though.)

Spark Plugs replaced more often with some, but again at 'much cheapness' compared to now. 

I have some friends with a 1923 Morris Bullnose which was new before leaded petrol was available (was invented in the 20's) - great but you were suppose to re grind the valves every 1000 miles!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Stonekeeper said:

My Rover SDI 3500cc V8 did gallons per mile round town 😂

Nice engine though 

21 hours ago, Stonekeeper said:

It was

But i am very happy not to have it now. £15 a week in 1980 for fuel would be £129 now

Likewise re 1970 Ford Zodiac 3.0 (also circa 1980) - 19 gallon tank that didn't last long. I don't think it ever managed 20mpg even on a run, around town it wasn't even managing double figures.

Fast forward to today with my ageing 1.4tsi Superb which is still a barge of a car Overall of 46 mpg with 50 mpg on a steady run - wow! Currently thinking of downsizing to potentially one car so Fabia/Scala/Kamiq in focus. Octavia ruled out as some basic functions (eg heating)  on the touch screen.

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

I had a Stag with automatic transmission when I was 21, it did 16mpg with me hooning and posing and petrol cost £1.60 per gallon so 10p per mile.

Later cars did much better mpg but fuel prices rose and I dont think that I got back below 10p per mile until I started driving diesels at the start of this century.

I'm too tired to do the calculation but I think I am above the 10 centimes per mile threshold now, maybe even over the 10p a mile were I ever to buy fuel in the UK again, I no longer care!!!!!!

Just done a journey from Dorset to Oxford which is 90% dual carriageway.  Managed to achieve 65.8 mpg. 

Well pleased. And no, I wasn't crawling along at 40 - 50 mph !! - Spent most of the time doing 60+ mph.    

• Like 2

9 hours ago, john1952 said:

Just done a journey from Dorset to Oxford which is 90% dual carriageway.  Managed to achieve 65.8 mpg. 

Well pleased. And no, I wasn't crawling along at 40 - 50 mph !! - Spent most of the time doing 60+ mph.    

Yes. I make a twice weekly drive of about forty miles down an A road, about half single and half dual carriageway in my new Skoda Fabia MPI 1000 cc, and unless I am going into a strong headwind, I am always at between 62 and 66 mpg. I do drive gently, partly because I am still running it in, but I aim to keep it at around 56 - 60 mph unless I am stuck behind a truck. The other day, I managed over 70mpg on one leg of this journey. The average speed shown on the screen is low  at 40mph, but about three miles of the trip involves urban roads and this obviously reduces it to that level through waiting at traffic lights and 20 mph limits.

AP1GczOv_Ib60pcVykfYLfZYrSn1u5ExOjYfkABz-m2TgluKtGqgoMdP8-S9T65LRn4c2y1czxISLJUmZ6VdvKBLr4XSNCGWgc7jgr8vA7ZX6YYP9vyL4cga_YCbEkIOfWNNJel-T8TWI9YD7kPuAVadv4qjg5ki5Q9i9cuEONzmlhpkjGRTuoSFarCtQ11oAm6WhsmswtcJpWGfoulSvMo1KoQJJN2X3oEqyc9uSd0cmQlF6cH8tHNv-QD71OQDbxRcn4fdJK9m7EcQTA7McU6qchnnlp6bdjMv3cz7dMhMfXaLDOgVJUNTfzcESMspaex6KtZGWmuKKoWI2Mc1DZG1PJQOODBXUuMMu7HP7Jh0nyYp-cBQPSDFszLtia4EYOjHcP8JUNQRm9YzcHIUA7dyoZ6HVXpMv5kimfEOuPRNkarAB7TPu7L6gHZgkGwJbdgwSB4fnc10tQzxYylvaD3Q34IEeBv3XC19ND8yuBQKeQqQVVpdOjcMhNU3aY1oWokBydT7vl4KzUkdwDhH3kLq54ospi3m15XY-t09FH8IgYwmlhlyOHumpd_jBeYQH1eymdZBO7otmp1DuWlIJsMYexVxlb_DLh99z7JRbxhwiQwK__2cs4PS1kUaku8zhjWMR4jUcwyjqiXzxKGAniOk2AD2bvm-uW1lZGH0yjvvyZG375ZQ3QvSK35N5w7jTxYjBg7zpsBL6W2OHJPz-B39m99qzmAtHNcCiLeZuM-FbtgvoBrnP8sP8l8eLatovCcBwuH2Z3V8Sk77ohL_6l_M_EzYzU5ZCZRGAsiSr_8yrL6wj9YXbKFPzVoim7GwvyxhYBRPxR41WxEQCX_aoQam65U6Pu7jx0ggpbeycYQxgt9RBfrWYUmEXEPNiQUdv5Y-kTzkPC2vOiugT4ADY_KXChM31AZQ5oax-ZAj0RBevaihTXH-wPd6XFHyY2pZ1g=w755-h566-s-no?authuser=0

Edited by tony1951

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve had 110 Tsi with 6 gears, getting best economy on long motorway journeys around 62mpg, and worst around town with stop/start around 40 mpg. I use high gears including 6th as much as possible.

I prefer to use the momentum and avoid heavy braking when approaching red traffic lights and busy junctions, roundabouts etc.

I would advise any driver to try and get some driver training with local IAM (Institute of Advanced Motorists) , it will save you a lot of money by reducing your fuel and repair bills in the long term, plus make you a better/safer driver. You can also use IAM membership to reduce you insurance costs with some  reputable insurance companies.

These figures are obviously off the car's computer, not exactly reliable, in my humble opinion. Anyway, what are people really getting MPG on a tank fill, to tank fill, the only really accurate way surely.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Tintowellfan said:

These figures are obviously off the car's computer, not exactly reliable, in my humble opinion. Anyway, what are people really getting MPG on a tank fill, to tank fill, the only really accurate way surely.

Why is the car's computer not reliable?

I'd have thought that it was probably more reliable than the rather random point at which the petrol pump cuts off the fuel when you do a single tank fill, but I can't say I know that for sure.

I can do a test since I have kept every petrol receipt since I bought the car on 7th Feb this year and filled it up 2 miles after driving it out of the showroom. I have covered 1500 miles or so since then but can get the exact mileage from the dashboard.  Next time I fill up, I can do the calculation. However - we might call the mileage measurement into question as easily as calling the computer out. I'd bet the computer does a pretty good job since because of the mapping in the injection system, the ECU should be able to calculate consumption rather accurately.  

Edited by tony1951