Recommend oil grade / service questions

Oil change time on a 2015 1.2 Cjzc engine. Skoda history says Shell Helix Ultra 0W ????? 

Does anybody know what the correct grade is? Car has 59k on clock.

Plugs changed at 39k, I assume they are good to go for a few more miles? Also, is it worthwhile changing th3 fuel filter, which I assume is original.

Many thanks in advance

Jim

For this engine, or at least the CJZD version, I've stuck with 5W-30 and seem to be happy to use Mobil One ESP on both our cars, spark plugs I replace at 4 years, so 2nd change this service which is due very soon, air filter also at 4 years, total mileage currently, for a mid August 2015 reg'd car is 45,000 miles.

Fuel filter - I've not bothered about that, in fact Skoda at least dropped that "bit" from maybe 2017 onwards. In fact my wife ran a 2002 VW Polo 1.4 SE 75PS for 13 years and 105,000 miles, and while I did buy a new pressure regulator and filter etc, they still live on in the airing cupboard! So, if I were you, I'd not bother unless you are deliberately filling your car with fuel that has been used for washing parts!

I did notice that my old 2011 Audi S4 got treated to Shell Helix Ultra 0W-20, I think, at its first service which was before I owned it, I changed it back to 5W-30 for when I serviced it and Audi tended to revert to a "lighter" oil when they serviced it (variable servicing and extended warranty), but since it has run out of warranty, it gets 5W-30 every year.

Some day maybe I will start trusting these "lighter" oils, though their main "plus" seems to be very slightly reduced emissions, but that day has not come yet!

Edit:- remember the "type" needs to include the VW 504 approval, or in some cases, aimed to be same as VW 504.

VW 502 is probably okay for fixed miles/years, but I just aim to stick with VW504 and replace it and oil filter every 12 months as my annual mileage is roughly 7500 miles.

Edited to correct my statement that air filter and plugs are due every 6 years - wrong car for that, so corrected to 4 years and that ties in with my "due their 2nd change very soon (for a car approaching 8 years old)

Edited by rum4mo
My mistake listing plugs and air filter at 6 years, should be 4 years.

The recommended oil for pre 2018 / pre GPF is VW504 00 / 507 00,  so 5w 30 FS III. (Some might go with 0w 30 FS III) That is for fixed or variable servicing.

**It is not VW508 00 / 509  so 0w 20 FS IV)**

VW502 00 is perfect for fixed Service, oil & filter changes.  5 w 40 Full Synthetic.

Not Backward compatible.

Says 2015 on but Skoda / VW never starting using it from the factory until 2017/18.

image.webp.b48e6771853b15b770e956a10ec5660b.webp.2721e5e275bfd9c6b35e39bef234c58e.webp

1872327318_972195316_Screenshot2019-07-21at16_37_00(3).webp.50641ab517e18486d2a3840fbc61abdb.webp.a958cfdbadb3bb783edc2bad01b2ea3e.webp

Edited by toot

Gentlemen 

Many thanks. The service history with Shell helix 0W blah blah has thrown me.

I drive 2k a year, in layman’s terms, what would you buy on the euro car parts website? Am I overthinking this, will any 0W 30 or 5w30 fully synthetic oil do?

Thanks Jim

5 litres is easily enough and probably cheaper than buying in 1 litre sizes, I’m away from home so I can’t honestly quote the quantity of oil I load in.

As you mentioned ECP I tend to buy Mann oil, air and pollens filters but some others will be okay as well.

I’ve never bought engine oil from ECP other than the odd 1 litre to make up my total needs for my 2 cars, so I’ll not comment on that question.

I normally put Castrol 5W-30 LL in, with a Mahle or Mann oil filter, although I see the Mahle filters now have "Made in China" on them, despite being the same price 😉

You can buy it from Opie Oils (and get a Briskoda discount if it is still running) or via Opie on Scamazon; putting your registration in at Opie will provide some options.

The oil and filter is normally around the £40-£42 mark.

7 hours ago, K433vox said:

will any 0W 30 or 5w30 fully synthetic oil do?

No.

7 hours ago, K433vox said:

I assume buy 5 litres

4 litres for a service & 4.5 litres if the engine is dry.

9 hours ago, K433vox said:

Plugs changed at 39k

Due every 40K miles / 4th service.

Is the car on fixed servicing?

Thanks. AG Falco

• Like 1

@AGFalco, I'm glad you posted that, it forced me to re-think what I had written ie "6 years" instead of "4 years", which is what I claimed was the spark plug and air filter change period - even although I went on to say that my approaching 8 years old car was due its 2nd spark plugs and air filter change, I have edited that posting now!

• Thanks 1

Air filter change is listed at 6 Years / 6th service but for me, when you have to take the air filter off to change the spark plugs, I change the air filter at the same time.

Although my Fabia III in only 7 years old I have already done it's 8th service back in May 2023.

See Here:-

Thanks. AG Falco

I was a bit annoyed with myself when I replaced the spark plugs on our younger daughter's 2019 SEAT Arona 1.0TSI 115PS 6MT,  after they had handed it in, down in London, for its year 4 service, it came back with a comment "we didn't replace the spark plugs this year due to the lowish mileage - we suggest that you get them replaced at next service", that was a VW Group Indie workshop, so I just bought a set of genuine VW Group branded NGKs and fitted them while they were visiting us up in Scotland - then thought "why don't I just replace the air filter early", I checked ECP price for a Mann air filter for that car, and it seems that this version of the 1.0TSI is too new for them to sell new air filters at a sensible price, so I just left it, if I had thought a bit more about this, I could have bought one online for a sensible price, but time had ran out for that! What I didn't need to discover was, that it looked a lot like that VW Group Indie had forced the air filter housing off the engine without releasing the retaining clip on the intake manifold rubber coupler part - so that is no longer part of the intake manifold!  That has still to be sorted out back down in London now that I've provided them with the bits necessary for a workshop to do that job! The rubber coupler must get forced onto the intake manifold hard plastic part during initial manufacture of the intake manifold, and re-assembling it correctly now that it has been forced apart does not look to be a simple task - hence the reason that I got a new intake manifold bought in.

OK if you want to spend £20 more than you need to to buy 4 or even 5 litres of oil to VW504 00 / 507 00.

VW UK / Skoda used to recommend Castrol or Quantum & main dealers often just used that.  Now the Quantum comes from Fuchs.

No need to throw money away unnecessarily IMO.   The only thing special about Castrol is how much they spend on advertising. IMO.

Screenshot 2023-08-09 08.06.00.png

Edited by toot

• 2 weeks later...

I hope it's not too late now, but this is what we bought for our 2016 1,2 Fabia from Opie Oils. I can't remember the cost as bought last year, along with oils and filters for my Fiesta. The oil is what was recommended on Millers oil website. Paid a little extra for the 'nano-drive' stuff and came in 1l bottles. Wanted a Mahle filter but Opie didn't stock one, so had Bosch instead, (bought Mahle for mine).

IMG-20230630-124724847.jpg

Edited by Jim H
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 22/08/2023 at 19:57, Jim H said:

I hope it's not too late now, but this is what we bought for our 2016 1,2 Fabia from Opie Oils. I can't remember the cost as bought last year, along with oils and filters for my Fiesta. The oil is what was recommended on Millers oil website. Paid a little extra for the 'nano-drive' stuff and came in 1l bottles. Wanted a Mahle filter but Opie didn't stock one, so had Bosch instead, (bought Mahle for mine).

IMG-20230630-124724847.jpg

The Mahle filter I bought last time had Made In China on it so I went for a Bosch this time, which had Made in France on it

I've also ordered oil and filter early for mine and the Mann filters were half price so I went for one of those. Hopefully, it'll be made somewhere sensible.

I'm not averse to buying Chinese goods; I'm typing this on a Poco (Xiaomi) phone but I do try to support local-ish jobs where possible.

All this claptrap makes I laugh. Do people seriously imagine that different makes of oil make the slightest difference? I have used Mannol (German) synthetic from the second year in my now nearly nine year old 1.2. Don't know what was put in at the start but wouldn't mind betting it was Mannol due to the nationality. Currently £14.59/5litres on ebay why pay more?

1 hour ago, Eccles said:

why pay more?

Because you want to boldly go where no man has gone before with your Nano-Drive 😀