Opinions Required. 1.6TDI or 2.0TDI

So I've been away from the Skoda fold for the last 18 months, and am hopefully looking at 3 potential options on a Superb. 

1 is an Ambition spec car, I believe the UK SE equivalent, and 2 are in Style spec  (SE L).

The Ambition and one of the Style spec cars come with the 1.6TDI 120PS engine and the other comes with the 2.0TDI 190PS engine.

I personally feel the 1.6 would struggle considering the size of the Superb 

Prices are pretty much the same on the cars ~ €15,000.

The only real difference is 10k miles, they all are at the 100k mile mark and 6 month gap between the registrations. Other than that they are 1 owner cars with full service history's.

The heart is leading towards option one in the images, which has the 2.0TDI but out of the 3 attached which would be best?

Screenshot_20230806-233520.png

Screenshot_20230806-233536.png

Screenshot_20230806-233558.png

Screenshot_20230806-233628.png

Screenshot_20230806-233659.png

Screenshot_20230806-233711.png

If it was my money, definitely the 190, especially as it's had the cambelt and brakes renewed this year.

One recommendation would be to invest in a pedal box to get the best out of the engine.

I'm biased mind :) 

Also, the 3rd car is also a 2.0 but the 150 

Edited by petrolcan

44 minutes ago, petrolcan said:

If it was my money, definitely the 190, especially as it's had the cambelt and brakes renewed this year.

One recommendation would be to invest in a pedal box to get the best out of the engine.

I'm biased mind :) 

Also, the 3rd car is also a 2.0 but the 150 

Your right, I was using the images as a place holder as the 3rd car I'm considering is nearly the exact same other than engine size, but waiting on pictures of it.

I accept bias, I've had an RS TDI and loved the effortless torque from its engine, even my current 20-25MPG 200 Kompressor does bring a smile when the slush box auto decides to engage.

Haven't heard about Pedal Box, I must give a Google. 

The first one looks like a good bet provided everything checks out and it hasn't had a major knock at some stage.  I'm not sure that 19" wheels are the best option for Irish roads but see how you get on with them as that's an easy fix if needed.  The 2.0 is a much nicer engine than the 1.6 for general driving.  I've read that the 190 takes a little longer to show it's muscle as it's got a larger turbo so takes a little bit longer to spool up but overall it ticks all the boxes. Google reviews of the seller are very good too.

I used to have a diesel150PS Tdi and now have a petrol 190PS Tsi. In my view the 190 makes all the difference to the performance and is so much better than the 150.

I wouldn't discount the 1.6 TDI, my first Superb was a 1.6 TDI mk2 facelift Greenline Elegance estate. You adapt to the drive and I found it very relaxing as there is no need to rush around at max speed all the time, and the economy was great, 70+ mpg on a gentle run. However, I'm a very steady driver and find even the 'normal' drive mode in my 150 TDI DSG slightly too aggressive for my liking. 

70bhp is a big difference but it depends what kind of driving you do & how often you would drive very aggressively or with a fully laden car.

I agree with cnc, the 1.6tdi is a great engine if you are looking for a smooth cruise & excellent fuel economy.

However, given the price is the same & it sounds like you're prefer performance over economy, the 2l sounds like your best bet.

As petrolcan suggests, the cambelt & brake service with also save you some dollars in the future. 

3 hours ago, Gabbo said:

70bhp is a big difference but it depends what kind of driving you do & how often you would drive very aggressively or with a fully laden car.

He's in Ireland, speed limits are advisory items outside of the towns and cities :) 

• Haha 1

Based on threads on this forum the 1.6 is more likely to give you injector issues, the 1.6 may not have SCR though which could be a bonus, the SCR system can be very very expensive to repair.