My winter tyres are turning 10 this year

Time flies..

I knew they were starting to be a bit old and have in fact not swapped back my summer wheels since winter 2022. Didn't realise it was going on 10y though! There's surprisingly little wear (I didn't make any long highway trips in the heat of summer) but my garage warned me that they had probably turned hard enough to lose efficiency on wet surfaces, let alone snow.

This is making me wonder if I'm not simply going to put a set of all-season tyres on, and see if and how I can get rid of my summer tyres on the stock alloy rims. Which are probably 205/55/R16 or something of the sort; I prefer the comfort and more economical driving of the 195/65/R15 tyres I picked for winter, plus a narrower width is (supposedly but understandably) better in wet/snowy conditions. Not that we get many of those, but I'm too likely to find myself in places where winter tyres are now required by law part of the year.

Has anyone ever noticed if winter tyres are less expensive in their off-season, idem for all-season ones? Or is it more likely that there'll be promos in autumn, as my garage suggested?

I'm inclined to be a bit chauvinist this time and not get Hancooks but a set of Vredestein Quatracs. Anyone got experience with them? Cheapest I've seen them to date is just under 65€ a piece, which is about what I paid for my Hancook winter tyres 10y ago.

Lastly: any reason to take 91V over 91H, or rather the opposite?

Edited by RJVB
  • Like 1

They are always cheaper when little demand, or when advertised yet not available.

The Vredestein Quatracs are good and i have a set of the new EV version ready for going on.

Take the 91 V over the H because you are running them all the time including nice warm and sunny dry days.

Narrower tyres are supposedly better in snow, mud, rain etc, you are using them more than in that conditions though.

but this is the world now and tyres now, so good treads and more of them and sipes. 

33 minutes ago, RJVB said:

Vredestein Quatracs. Anyone got experience with them? Cheapest I've seen them to date is just under 65€ a piece

I am preparing for when my nicely scrubbed evenly worn tyres get to the legal limit, at present I am enjoying the grip and stability they are giving, that seems a good price for France, was that a supplied and fitted price or is there delivery + fitting and balancing to be added?

If you could post a link to them also I would be very appreciative.

It sounds like you already have winter rims, I have a spare set with dangerously ungrippy winter tyres in La Somme quite close to you in l'Aisne if they are of any use to you.

I bought a nearly new set of winter rims and tyres down here but frankly they might be of value for a handfull of days a year and if my next tyr change is to all season tyres I will have two redundant sets of winter wheels.

https://www.1001pneus.fr/vredestein-quatrac-195-65-r15-91-h-27811444-pn

So no shipping, and you have a choice of getting fitting included (on top of the shown price) or not. That would undoubtedly require having it done immediately, and somewhere else.

I indeed have 2 sets of rims - just good old steel ones for the winter tyres but they do just fine, I actually kind of like their look, and most shops here charge less for installing new tyres on them.

I'll have to ask my garage how much they can get them for. When I got my summer Hancooks they actually asked about the same as allopneus.fr, and they have an upcharge for fitting tyres you supply yourself.

3 hours ago, toot said:

They are always cheaper when little demand, or when advertised yet not available.

The Vredestein Quatracs are good and i have a set of the new EV version ready for going on.

EVs need special tyres now? :)

Good point on the speed index.

As to width & height: I notice very little difference in how my car behaves, apart from taking speed bumps. I drive at the speed limit anyway.

The profile looks very different but you'd probably expect that from a Quatrac "Pro" :)

I hadn't thought of the higher weight, makes sense. Making less noise maybe not so much, in a silent vehicle (at least at urban speeds, i.e. when it's not unimportant to be heard be pedestrians and cyclists).

My partner has very similar low profile Dunlop summer tyres, on a more-or-less entry-level 2018 Fabia... Less than 5000km into ownership she'd already exploted one by taking 1 too many sidewalks and/or potholes.... Her father once did the same to his 2 front tyres coming out of a parking garage - (he only drives Michelin).

3 hours ago, RJVB said:

...My partner has very similar low profile Dunlop summer tyres, on a more-or-less entry-level 2018 Fabia... Less than 5000km into ownership she'd already exploted one by taking 1 too many sidewalks and/or potholes.... Her father once did the same to his 2 front tyres coming out of a parking garage - (he only drives Michelin).

I assume  exploted = exploded, rather than exploited.

I have Hankook AS2's (that 2 should probably be a superscript, but I've seen both) and I am quite happy. They last and the only disavages I see is that they are a bit noisy -probably typical for all seasons tyres, and there are ceretainly worse- and have no rim protection.

1 hour ago, Camlobe said:

I assume  exploted = exploded, rather than exploited.

Oops, yep. But maybe I was thinking she exploited a "feature" of those low tyres, or how she exploited me to have it "repaired" (= put on the spare tyre). ;)

Thanks for the link to the article. The tyre size used therein is very different from what I'll be going for though, and I'm not certain if the results translate directly.

Tyres ordered through my usual garage, about 85.50€ a piece, mounted and calibrated. That's what I'd have paid ordering through the 1001pneus site above too (or more) so it's a win win. Plus they'll store the tyres until autumn.

Thanks! They do look good and glad to hear you're happy about them. A priori I'm not getting the Pro version. By coincidence the set I ordered arrived at my local garage today. I was planning to go pay for and get a look at them but the village is currently cut in 2 because of maintenance on the railroad running through so they suggested I wire to save me a very annoying and slow 5km detour.

Is that rim protection going to be of much use on traditional steel rims?

• 1 month later...

Soooo... they're on, and looking good.

Vredestein do make things complicated by having several Quattrac variants and I didn't specify very precisely which one I wanted so it was a bit of a suprise which one I'd be getting. More precisely, I wasn't expecting to get "Quattrac Pro" variant or any other one that has a word attached to its name, but I did expect to be getting the latest/current model, which *seems* to be the "Quattrac 5".

Well, I asked for "Quattrac" and that's what I got;  the model with the "V" profile treading. First time with that kind of profile for me, and intuitively I've always preferred the kind of profile shown in the photo above. But the test drive I made on the way home from the workshop didn't reveal anything "off". They felt a bit more comfortable and less noisy than my old Hancooks but I suppose that's what you'd expect from new vs. old rubber that's been hardening for 10 years. The treads also look *deep*, which does feel reassuring.

I've been trying to figure out to what extent I ended up with an "old version", and all I could find was that the "Quattrac" model was introduced (or certified) about 1 year after the "Quattrac 5", that it's generally the more expensive of the two, and that it has a slightly lower rolling resistance (plus makes 1dB more noise). It seems odd that a manufacturer would introduce a newer family with an older looking name just 1 year after introducing another, so maybe it was just redesigned?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RJVB said:

Soooo... they're on, and looking good.

Vredestein do make things complicated by having several Quattrac variants and I didn't specify very precisely which one I wanted so it was a bit of a suprise which one I'd be getting. More precisely, I wasn't expecting to get "Quattrac Pro" variant or any other one that has a word attached to its name, but I did expect to be getting the latest/current model, which *seems* to be the "Quattrac 5".

Well, I asked for "Quattrac" and that's what I got;  the model with the "V" profile treading. First time with that kind of profile for me, and intuitively I've always preferred the kind of profile shown in the photo above. But the test drive I made on the way home from the workshop didn't reveal anything "off". They felt a bit more comfortable and less noisy than my old Hancooks but I suppose that's what you'd expect from new vs. old rubber that's been hardening for 10 years. The treads also look *deep*, which does feel reassuring.

I've been trying to figure out to what extent I ended up with an "old version", and all I could find was that the "Quattrac" model was introduced (or certified) about 1 year after the "Quattrac 5", that it's generally the more expensive of the two, and that it has a slightly lower rolling resistance (plus makes 1dB more noise). It seems odd that a manufacturer would introduce a newer family with an older looking name just 1 year after introducing another, so maybe it was just redesigned?

The Vredestein Quatrac sometimes incorrectly called Quatrac 6 (although it can be useful calling it the Quatrac 6 for clarity, so I will use the Quatrac 6 name) replaces the Quatrac 5, although 13" and 14" tyre sizes and the odd 15" tyre size are still only available in the older Quatrac 5 model. The Quatrac Pro and the recently introduced Quatrac Pro+ models are a more summer focused tyre that tend to be available in larger 17" and larger tyre sizes.

The Vredestrein Quatrac 6 is only available in 15" and 16" tyre sizes, except for two 17" tyre sizes...namely 225/45R17 and 225/50R17.

The Quatrac 5 and Quatrac 6 tend to have longer tread life than the Quatrac Pro and Quatrac Pro+ models.

There's also a Quatrac Pro EV for electric cars...apparently the first all-season tyre fully dedicated to electric vehicles.

The Vredestein website is useful for looking up what sizes these tyres are available in, and which models have rim protection. I'm not a fan of rim protection because I tend to protect my rims by using relatively narrow rims. With rim protection build into the tyre, you can get chunks of rubber broken off the tyre because the rim protection doesn't give like a bulging sidewall gives when you sometimes gently nudge the kerb while parking.

Out of all these Quatrac models, only the Quatrac 6 is a directional tyre.

Vredestein website

https://www.vredestein.co.uk/car-suv-tyres/

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks. I did notice that my tyres don't seem to have rim protection, which is fine because I had them mounted on the down-to-earth steel rims I got for what I thought would be my winter wheels. And indeed, I found my right rear wheel had actually gone up the kerb wall without me noticing it earlier this afternoon :)

I also got the impression the 2 models aren't available in all the same sizes though I think my 195/65 R15 is. I looked at the Dutch Vredesteijn site, which I didn't find particularly clear, and then simply a few online retailers which of course show what they have in stock.

Thanks. I did notice that my tyres don't seem to have rim protection, which is fine because I had them mounted on the down-to-earth steel rims I got for what I thought would be my winter wheels. And indeed, I found my right rear wheel had actually gone up the kerb wall without me noticing it earlier this afternoon :)

I also got the impression the 2 models aren't available in all the same sizes though I think my 195/65 R15 is. I looked at the Dutch Vredesteijn site, which I didn't find particularly clear, and then simply a few online retailers which of course show what they have in stock.

The only thing I find a bit of a pity is that these tyres required equilibration weights while the old Hancooks didn't...

• 3 weeks later...

Well, so much for my 1st experience with my "national" tyres for car 😞 (I'm Dutch).

Took a curb yesterday, not even at 40kph, and sprung a leak in my right front tyre. I was hoping it was the seal around the rim but not, it's through a minuscule crack ("hernia" as we call 'em here) just above the rim. Irrepairable, and there's no warranty on this sort event when buying through the workshop where I bought them 😞

Are these Quattracs known to be sensitive to this kind of mishap or would I have had the same problem with any tyre? My wife has similar tiny cracks in her Hancook front right tyre, for the very same reasons, except there they appear to be just on the surface.

Edited by RJVB

Yeah, kinda what I feared. My father in law once exploded 2 front tyres coming off the (downward IIRC) ramp of a parking lot. Those were Michelins, supposedly the nec-plus-ultra. Mine just sprung a leak that lost about 1 bar in 20h.

So now I'm using the reserve wheel for the 1st time in 10y of ownership. A bit weird because it's the 16" diameter, wider option and a summer tyre so I can't really go anywhere with it legally speaking (and it may be from 2009 so not exactly fresh). The shop owner advised this over emptying a bottle of goo into the bust tyre which would probably have stopped the leak until next week - delivery won't be as instantaneous as usual parts orders!

An expensive moment of inattention!

I did have this feeling that my steering is a bit heavier with these tyres than with the previous Hancooks. Anyone else have a similar impression with these Quattracs or is it just me imagining things?

Even though the visual damage appears relatively slight, the fact that it is leaking air from the sidewall is a serious red flag.

I would not drive at any speed on a tyre with full-depth sidewall damage like that - losing a front tyre from a catastrophic failure (almost certain) will be no fun at all. 

Heh, the failure itself could still be fun, but the resulting damage definitely won't be indeed.

Don't worry, in case it wasn't clear: the wheel is off and left at the shop so they can mount the tyre as soon as it comes in and I only have to drop by to have the wheels swapped. Meanwhile I just have 1 errand to run to the neighbouring village, which should be fine even with 2 different brands and tyre geometries on the front axle. (Circumference has to be equal for the 2 though.

• Like 1