Fabia Mk2 1.2 HTP - Uneven idle / occasional difficulty starting / running rich

Probably would want the gasket that goes from cat to front pipe, and possibly the dual sleeve coupler that links front to mid-section of exhaust. That way you can completely remove exhaust front section out the way for sump removal.

Coupler is likely to be beyond re-use unless very recent.

A (long handled) counter-hold tool for the crank pulley.

New bolt for that pulley.

Do you have a workshop manual? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Probably would want the gasket that goes from cat to front pipe, and possibly the dual sleeve coupler that links front to mid-section of exhaust. That way you can completely remove exhaust front section out the way for sump removal.

Coupler is likely to be beyond re-use unless very recent.

A (long handled) counter-hold tool for the crank pulley.

New bolt for that pulley.

Do you have a workshop manual? 

Thanks.

I replaced the exhaust centre sleeve when I changed the gear lever housing a month or so ago so hopefully will be fine. Will get a cat to front pipe gasket.

Have a pulley holding tool but will need to order a new crank pulley bolt.

Have the proper manual and have printed everything off to have a read...

• Like 1

Makes life a teeny bit simpler. 

Take pics as you go if poss, and post here later for others' benefit.

A cardboard sheet with an outline of the timing cover drawn on it makes a nice safe storage and position identification of all the many different screws that have to come out.

• 3 weeks later...

I am well on with this and will start a new thread to detail everything. Exhaust valves are boggered!!

Just have a couple of questions:

- Timing cover and sump appear to be a silicon based sealant, cam cover appears to be something very hard and difficult to remove. What are the suggested options for reassembly please?

- Does the camshaft sprocket bolt need replacing? (I have a new crank bolt)

Many thanks

I've never heard of a 6V engine that DIDN'T eat its exhaust valves, you don't need to replace the sprocket bolt but most people on this forum operate using the precautionary principle because they're old and mad so you might get conflicting advice!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, sepulchrave said:

I've never heard of a 6V engine that DIDN'T eat its exhaust valves, you don't need to replace the sprocket bolt but most people on this forum operate using the precautionary principle because they're old and mad so you might get conflicting advice!

Thanks, I am old...... probably considered mad......but skint, so I shall re-use the bolt.

20231007_181108_resized.thumb.jpg.57570e460b320c58ff34207b6d157416.jpg

I can give you the OE part numbers for the various sealants which will allow cross-reference to aftermarket if you like?

What torque plus angle are you aiming to do the crank bolt to? Spec changed at some point, if you follow the later suggestion with a reused bolt, it would be a very bold move.

• Like 1

Just now, Breezy_Pete said:

I can give you the OE part numbers for the various sealants which will allow cross-reference to aftermarket if you like?

That would be great thanks

1 minute ago, Breezy_Pete said:

What torque plus angle are you aiming to do the crank bolt to? Spec changed at some point, if you follow the later suggestion with a reused bolt, it would be a very bold move.

Cam sprocket bolt is what I will be re-using, I have a new crank pulley bolt.

Thanks

Timing case sealant: D 174 003 A2

Sump sealant: D 176 600 A1

Cam carrier sealant D 154 103 A1

F knows why they're all different.

That is one sad exhaust valve! Were the other two similar but not so bad? 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Andy_Viking said:

Thanks, I am old...... probably considered mad......but skint, so I shall re-use the bolt.

In my experience those who admit madness usually aren't, those who don't usually are.

A sort of Catch 22 test if you like...

• Love it! 1

42 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

...if you follow the later suggestion with a reused bolt, it would be a very bold move.

Oh look, here comes the electrical guy with the auto-contradict setting switched on...

• Groan 1

52 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Timing case sealant: D 174 003 A2

Sump sealant: D 176 600 A1

Cam carrier sealant D 154 103 A1

F knows why they're all different.

That is one sad exhaust valve! Were the other two similar but not so bad? 

Thanks for the info.

I get why the cam carrier sealant is different as it has to produce a very thin seal as the bearings are within the cover itself. Original stuff was very hard, almost like a varnish.

The other two lead to very similar (or in some cases the same) alternatives and I can't see much difference in the specs so will just go with one option for the timing cover and sump.

That is valve #3, #2 was fairly similar and #1 not quite so bad...

Edited by Andy_Viking

18 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

In my experience those who admit madness usually aren't, those who don't usually are.

A sort of Catch 22 test if you like...

That's why I said probably considered mad, (by others), I myself think I am totally sane and everyone else around me is totally out of synch :)

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Andy_Viking said:

I get why the cam carrier sealant is different as it has to produce a very thin seal as the bearings are within the cover itself

This makes good sense. 

It's more cost, but I wonder if it's worth replacing the thermostat and associated flange while you're at it, to possibly improve head temperatures if the original isn't opening as early/wide as it oughta? The o-ring that seals the flange to the end of the head may have lost its compliance and fail to reseal if it has been removed, which I assume it has?

2 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

good price?

The anaerobic stuff isn't cheap, was £16 from an obscure place, mostly around £23 ish.

The Silicon is on special at GSF at the moment, just under £7 a tube.