Oil leak

My Mk3 had an oil change not long before I bought it. 2000 miles and 2 months later the oil is on the bottom third of the mark. 

Does the pic I took show a leaking oil drain plug?

I'm not keen on doing it myself I don't have any axle stands. How much would a garage charge to rectify? Is it likely to just need a new plug/o-ring or whatever is on it?

Thanks for the advice.

For new oil should I just go with the owners manual (it says VW 504 00 not sure what that means) or something different?PXL_20230831_133457986.thumb.jpg.62af3c41d00dc8df00c042d654ea1e47.jpg

PXL_20230831_132617564.jpg

Looks like it’s the sump plug if you can’t see any oil higher up that’s running down. 
I always fit a new sump plug when I do my oil change. There are about £3 from Skoda with washer and the washer doesn’t come off the bolt. 
By the colour of the plug I guess it hasn’t been replaced for a while. 
would be worth checking it’s tight before you go much further, won’t be the first time I have seen them left loose. 
oil wise stick to an oil that’s compatible with the book. Not sure where you had it serviced or if it’s on variable service or fixed. 
by the look of it you have a petrol. 

Yes it's a petrol 1.2

I can't get under it to see, I'll try to get a look tomorrow.

Approx how tight should it be? How many lbs torque?

I assume if I need to change it, oil will pour out while I'm trying to get the new plug in. 

Hopefully it just needs tightening!

Fingers crossed someone never cross threaded or stripped the threads and then glued it in.

This might be your worst nightmare when you go to nip it up a bit and you end up with the oil out and the plug out and your car going no place.

If you can not get it on a ramp and where it can be repaired if needed i would 'Suck the oil out via the dipstick tube', with a pump.

Then remove the plug.

Or tweak it up.

Likely needs replaced and as it is the oil is low enough i would be doing an oil change, and filter and a sump plug.

Edited by toot

On 31/08/2023 at 20:44, simsim said:

Yes it's a petrol 1.2

I can't get under it to see, I'll try to get a look tomorrow.

Approx how tight should it be? How many lbs torque?

I assume if I need to change it, oil will pour out while I'm trying to get the new plug in. 

Hopefully it just needs tightening!

I think it's 30 Nm

• Like 2

I had the problem of a leaking sump plug on my 2018 1.4tsi Superb noticed  after its 2nd service.

Returned to dealer who checked (with video) the plug was tightened correctly (30Nm). It was. So they changed the sump plug (with its captive washer). Still it leaked. So they consulted "Skoda parts technical". They said fit an "squashable washer". Which they did, and continue to do so at each oil change, fixing the leak.

Why did it leak? Well on the available evidence, the leaking sump plugs obviously did not sit square with the sealing face. So possibly,

They fitted the wrong plug (quite possibly) see pic below

Or

The dealer had a bad batch of sump plugs badly machined or captive washer thickness variation or head seat not correct geometry.

Or

The sump thread has been damaged at some point.

Or

something  is not right with the machined face on the sump.

It did leave the factory ok, and the 1st oil change was OK with no leak. Or not enough to drip on the driveway.

Part nos (CZEA engine, probably used on other engines)

According to the dealer they finally fitted

Sump plug N90288901

Crush Washer N0138157

N90288901_800x400_d738f4b4-b28a-4b7a-8382-a2bcae2291e6_800x400.jpg.303dcc8379269a9c894ce32744b30544.jpg

Hope this helps

Edited by xman
  • Like 3

I replaced washer with a dowty seal, never replace it. Now on its ninth oil change. Always use a torque wrench on sump plug. Too easy to strip threads! Other Roomster we have has had the gorilla mechanic on it! Sump threads are slightly stripped, so only tighten it to 25n/m.