Dash Cam - Hardwiring

Hello, Question about where is recommended best place to hardwire a Dash Cam into the Octavia? Also is there an internal fuse box? I've taken both dashboard end panels off where the fuse box normally is - and nothing..  Thanks

Easy enough to get to, details in the handbook.  Also there are several YouTube how-to vids.  I found it quite fiddly to get the glove box door restraint lever latched properly, but diy do-able.

Edited by Baxlin
  • Like 1

There are a few Dashcams now available that use the OBDII socket to Hard Wire into the car!  (Thinkware, Nextbase)

I have a Thinkware F200Pro with the OBD wire, and I bought the same for my Wifes F750, Both now have full functionality (Parking recording etc) and it's the same price as the Hard Wire cable kit.

otherwise I believe the Rear Wiper is on its own fuse, check the Car Manual for which one that is!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Simoneale1973 said:

There are a few Dashcams now available that use the OBDII socket to Hard Wire into the car!

Yes I read about that, but then also saw that it can cause problems and is not a recommended source of power.. I will look for the rear wiper fuse, thanks 👍

On 02/09/2023 at 12:08, Morganash said:

Yes I read about that, but then also saw that it can cause problems and is not a recommended source of power.. I will look for the rear wiper fuse, thanks 👍

I have been using the rear wiper fuse for a about 5 years and no issues at all

• Like 1

Hi, well this is getting more and more complicated! as it seems I need 2 separate fuses to connect to in my car fuse box. I've located the 15amp Blue Wiper fuse and been told that the Yellow  wire goes to this, via the piggy back Fuse Tap which also needs a 3amp fuse above it. So that just leaves the RED power wire which needs a permanently live fuse to connect to, and presumably another add on fuse like the 3amp? next to it.

None of this is mentioned on Facebook forums or any Youtube video I've watched - they only talk about finding one suitable fuse to connect to... Maybe my New Viofo dash cam is only one to have 3 wires to connect? (though seems unlikely) - a Red a Yellow and the black earth wire. I really thought I could do this myself easily... 😕

1694167005269.jpg

Most Dashcams recently, come with a Switched and Live (plus ground) connection! the Live for parking recording etc, the Switched for travelling! if you don't connect the Live, the dashcam will work no problems, but the Parking recording will not work!

Most Facebook reviews and fitting instructions are from a time when getting a Live connection was a professional fitting thing! so most people either hid a lighter socket in the dash (connected to a switched live) or direct Switched and didn't worry about Parking recording!

Just find a Permanent Live Fuse (have a look in the manual) and pop another piggyback in it! 

I always go with 5A fuses, just in case the Stop/Start system pops the fuse! 

• Like 1

Ah good, that I understand - I originally wanted to use the Parking mode on my Dash cam but since read that can kill your battery - even with the low voltage protection, so only safe way is to have a separate power supply apparently - but that's another £400! So I think I'll just tape off the Red power wire then and connect Yellow and black only. I'll get some 5 amp fuses also then 👍

You have answered all my questions - many thanks! 👌

Some Dashcams (eg - my Thinkware F200pro in my 64 plate Octy) have various Parking modes from Motion Sensing, Time Lapse and Energy Saving (which only senses impacts and instantly starts recording) and will switch off after a number of hours/days that you specify (I've got mine set to 48 hours) and a voltage level (again set by the user) Not had any Battery problems, even after leaving the car parked for a week+

My Wifes Thinkware F750 (in her 19 plate Fabby) only has the Motion Sensing and Time Lapse options, (had it on Motion Sensing, but it would trigger 40 - 50 times a night as our driveway faces a busy road) The lowest Time Lapse setting and 48 hour/12.1v shutdown have stopped any problems with the Battery!

it's up to you! the unit should work with just the Switched live triggering the 'Continuous Recording' and the 'Parking mode' menu should be Blanked/Greyed out in the Menu!

Good Luck! 😊

• Like 1

Well have installed the front Dash cam after many hours.. and have connected the ground okay, but not the Red Battery wire or the Yellow ACC. as It seems too much guesswork is involved.. but I think I'm close to making it work. I've decided I will connect the Parking mode wire now as the manual says it has 4 voltage cut off settings and can be configured on the dash cam to only work for short periods - which would suit me. So I've checked the 2 installed fuses I have in mind to use fuse taps on, with a multimeter and one is only reading 12+ volts with the ignition in accessory mode. The other is the interior lights fuse which is reading 12+ volts with ignition off, so continuous power from battery - so assume that's the one to connect the Red wire to.

Only reason I didn't connect either fuse taps is back to the orientation issue again, and I've noticed that many others new to this are asking questions on Youtube etc are also stuck on this. Some videos try to explain it but I've watched them repeatedly and just can't grasp it - because I'm not an electrician probably. Even though it's a 50/50 guess at which way up to install the fuse tap, there's a good chance I will get both wrong. What's the worst that can happen to the car electrics if I insert the Taps the wrong way up? 

As far as I know, Fuse and Fuse Taps are not directional (like a Diode or LED) so current will flow either way through them! So it doesn't matter which way they're installed (They'd probably be key'd to fit one way if they were)

Worst that would happen is the same as fitting an LED a**e about face, It' just won't work till you turn it round! 😊

• Like 1