Costco premium diesel

12 minutes ago, toot said:

@RADIOTWODoes your local Asda sell standard Diesel & Premium Diesel?

What is the difference in price per litre?

Hi Toot,

I don't think they do the two but to be honest I usually I go for the cheapest fuel be either Petrol or Diesel, I have tried in the 

past on different vehicles and I have found no difference with performance or economy so I now go for the cheapest   

• Like 1

@RADIOTWO So the cheaper Super Market standard diesel has nothing to do with the Premium Diesel subject.

I am using Gulf Super Diesel because it does make a difference over the Standard Gulf that was cheaper than Standard Asda Diesel 500 yards away.

The Gulf good stuff is 11 pence a litre more expensive than the standard, but i get 2 pence a litre off with the Ooomph card.

@Baggins Is there a higher cetane showing on a BP Ultimate diesel pump compared to the BP Diesel pump, 

and do BP tell you there is a higher cetane or just better cleaning properties? 

http://bp.com/en_gb/united-kingdom/home/products-and-services/bp-ultimate-fuels/bp-ultimate-diesel-with-active-technology.html

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/452428-the-fuel-debate-to-end-all-fuel-debate

@Bensupreme  I know nothing about the Diesels and never used Premiums other than the odd tank to try until i did use it in in my 17 year old Diesel and the detergents have certainly made it smoke less and stink less and made it feel smoother.

It only does 25 mpg-28 mpg though and hardly any miles other than for towing so the 11 pence or so a litre difference does not matter.

Never felt differences with new-ish diesels, even performance ones.

With Super Unleaded from Tesco (99 ron min) or Sainsbury (97 ron min) that can be the same price or cheaper than 95 unleaded from the Big Brand non Supermarket filling stations.  (Texaco @ a Tesco Express is 97 ron min, but as with all of them Minimum can mean that the delivery can be of a higher octane.)

As to Super Unleaded & E5, i have used it since day one in cars / engines that need it or benefit from it.

Not for the detergents just for the Octane, and that was Tesco Momentum 99 when Shell was 98 ron before going back to 97 from being 98, then back to 99.

It is the same base fuel imported in partnership with Greenergy that produce Momentum, and some of ESSO,s fuels. & for others.

As it is the E5 is not the same around the UK for ethanol content.

With the petrols i have had i want the Ethanol content, actually the more the merrier as long as the octane is higher, but bi care not a bit about detergents with a good clean engine getting used hard regularly. 

276235547_1384336435_Screenshot2022-01-3014_03_59.jpg.d43b66a38bf086423e31cbd1b02722b8(1).jpg.36fe5772d927b86674b025b891bf3028.jpg

388380a097b04fe693a8c27db8bb4974 (1).pdf 6ca06d648b9541e78fa838fece4a1a23 (1).pdf

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

A quick Google search says BP claim 55-60 cetane plus active detergent. 

it looks like Costco has the cleaning properties but not the extra cetane, it is cheaper than elsewhere so I will use it when in the area.

• Haha 1

The stuff from the filling station pumps has to meet a standard but then depending who produces it or distributes & retails it might or might not have 7% Bio in it.

Just like with petrol the E10 might not have 10% ethanol or the E5 5%. 

The good thing is that we buy the stuff and use it and get to know if paying attention if any of the brands or grades makes a difference.