School Uniform. WTF!

@Lee

Placing kids in isolation because they aren't wearing 'official' clothing?

Seriously WTF is going on? There's a whole other debate to be had over school uniforms and why they should or shouldn't be worn (I'm against the idea) but really. There's a cost of living crisis but one kid who wore an unauthorised skirt is put in isolation for the crime of her parents saving money?

I know of no other nation of countries in Europe where school uniform is mandatory except Ireland and even there there's historical links.

Jaysus who gives a rats if it's not the official inflated price version?

It blows the 'if kids wear normal clothes they'll be mocked' argument out of the water. Damned if they do and damned if they don't.

smh.

This isn't an isolated incident. There's many examples.

Screenshot_20230916-011835.thumb.png.740e0e272a647158ab5747643370fe3f.png

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-humber-66812748

Edited by @Lee
  • Like 1

Nothing new here ,I can remember over 50 years ago my parents having to suffer the expense of a whole school uniform purchase from only one allocated  shop.it’s a lot better for most ,not all now that supermarkets offer school clothing at a reasonable price.

What exactly is 'isolation', then? Is that like an all-day detention, but in solitary confinement?

On 16/09/2023 at 00:28, @Lee said:

It blows the 'if kids wear normal clothes they'll be mocked' argument out of the water.

Speaking as someone who went to a uniformed school where some parents had money, and others were penniless working classers - The Haves were mercilessly contemptuous of anyone who ever (even for one day) wore/carried/did anything that suggested they were a Have Not... kids and parents alike. That would continue even beyond graduation. 

Every school in the area was the same, apart from the boarding schools where everyone was rich, but those non-uniformed ones where kids could wear anything they liked were the worst.

• Like 1

School uniform is a good thing.
But it should be basic and reference easily obtainable colours etc.
The school our oldest goes to is - white shirt, black trousers/skirt, black jumper, black shoes.
No school branding needed (optional). The only unique item demanded is school tie.

I think it's pretty rediculous that a school can demand £100s in overpriced embroidered clothing for kids that might need 3 sets in one year.

When I went to school it was even more basic, dress trousers (black, blue, grey), plain jumper, shirt (white, blue grey), black shoes (no trainers) and school tie.
I suppose even then there were fashions (Pringle jumpers were the thing) but easy for most people to manage cheaply anyway.

Edited by Aspman
  • Like 3

our government made it so that schools were no longer allowed to dictate the exact source of school uniforms, and that crests etc were not allowed to be mandatory so that they could be sourced from the supermarkets etc to reduce costs. 

i think fee paying schools are exempt in that they are still allowed use "non typical" colour schemes, but other than that its as you want. 

kids may get a little "you havnt had your tie/proper shoes" reminder, but uniform violations for the most part arent really a  thing anymore.

• Like 3
  • Love it! 1

oh, they also brought in fully funded free school books for all primary school kids this year. as another cost of back of school reduction measure. 

the feasibility (cost) of rolling that out to second level is being investigated but i wouldnt hold my breathe on it for a couple of yrs, theres other reforms needed at second level before we get to the books...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mac11irl said:

our government made it so that schools were no longer allowed to dictate the exact source of school uniforms, and that crests etc were not allowed to be mandatory so that they could be sourced from the supermarkets etc to reduce costs. 

i think fee paying schools are exempt in that they are still allowed use "non typical" colour schemes, but other than that its as you want. 

kids may get a little "you havnt had your tie/proper shoes" reminder, but uniform violations for the most part arent really a  thing anymore.

It seems it’s not necessarily the source that’s the issue, it’s the style, particularly of the skirt.  Pleats have to be certain size, alternatively skirt can be plain, ie no pleats.  Etc etc.

3 hours ago, Baxlin said:

It seems it’s not necessarily the source that’s the issue, it’s the style, particularly of the skirt.  Pleats have to be certain size, alternatively skirt can be plain, ie no pleats.  Etc etc.

well thats just nit picking bullsh1t that should equally be stamped out.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, EnterName said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-66812748

The school says second-hand clothing and financial support is available for students with poor parents, or in this instance, poor single-mothers.

Which feels a bit like saying designer clothes only.
If you're poor you can get cast offs and your children can be ridiculed for their poverty.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1