Starting Problems

Got a 1.6tdi mk3 , driving the other night and glow plug comes on and after a few minutes I loose all power amd engine switches off 

Now it won't start at all . My mechanic briefly had a look and thinks it could be bad fuel , changed the fuel filter, and still no luck at all .Here is my old fuel filter. Amy suggestions welcome 

20231005_123002.jpg

Edited by R9DCG
Spelling

If it's bad fuel, how can changing the filter make a difference? It will be the same "bad" fuel going thru the new filter. Had you just refuelled?

Get it scanned for error codes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Refuelled in the morning and as the day went on itvstatted feeling a little ropy . Its going into the garage this monring hopefully for them to drain the fuel and flush it out 

No error codes showing 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Misfuelled with petrol?

How many miles did you do before it cut out completely?

Was it a fill up from a nearly empty tank or a top up?

You and the mechanic are right to suspect fuel contamination as it happened after fuelling but it could be a coincidence, you are right to rule it out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T07 said:

Could be diesel bug

Although when I had that, the filters were blocked with a black, gritty substance (almost like iron sand)

The OPs fuel filter does look like water contamination though.

@R9DCG  Bad fuel from where, which filling station, what brand. Is it near Coatbridge?

Hundreds of others will have filled up, so you call them, e-mail them, you get a District Manager and you tell them you are taking a fuel sample or having the RAC / AA or Trading Standards take.

Or a Main Dealers.      That is if sure you bought bad fuel and are not going to make a fool of yourself.   

Name where you bought bad fuel and Social Media do the rest.  Others will be going to garages with issues.

• Like 1

?

Do you have a locking fuel cap / flap and is it only you that uses the car and fuels it?

They are surely all places that are busy with others buying diesel. 

Facebook or something else shows when a filling station has been selling crap fuel or there are issues with their tanks.

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, toot said:

?

Do you have a locking fuel cap / flap and is it only you that uses the car and fuels it?

They are surely all places that are busy with others buying diesel. 

Facebook or something else shows when a filling station has been selling crap fuel or there are issues with their tanks.

Yes got a locking fuel cap and I'm thw only one when fuels it 

As a taxi driver it could have been any garage to be honest 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I have experienced the similar problem while i was tripping. i was parking my car because i was taking a break after the long way i took. after few minutes, i got into my car and i turned the engine on and it didn't. i was in the hot water, i started to get nervous. luckily that there was a garagist nearby and i called them to help repairing my car. i explained to them what's wrong with the car and after they suggested me to use an engine cleaner and apply the product, it worked but not really because the problem happened again after having taken a long way.